Electronic Device Left in Cabin R722 - Ruby Princess

earnied

I have been cruising since 1967. During that time I have innocently lost a few items. The only item every returned was an expensive pair of sunglasses that rolled out of my bag on a shore excursion. The person who found them were mine and was in the taxi after we had been it!

Over the years I have turned many things into the Purser. However, when you exit your cabin, anything left in it is thrown away. That is the instructions from the "home office". How do I know? I frequently sail back to back and am allowed to remain on board [with quick run through US Customs before reboarding ~10 mins] and have seen the large trash bags that line all the cabin hallways. I know many crew members of several lines and have been told they are strictly instructed to toss anything found on the morning of disembarkation after the passengers have left their stateroom for the last time.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I have come to the same conclusion as when we were on the 'Star Princess' I left all six prescription bottles in a gallon ziplock bag in the bedside table drawer on ship, and I realized it when I got home and unpacked. It was a 3 months supply of each med, which is how I receive them, I called Princess with the information, and since each bottle had my name on it, I was hopeful that I would get them mailed to me. Never happened, and when I called back a week later, Princess said that nothing was found in the cabin. In order to get another whole supply of my meds, I had to make an appointment with my doctore, go and explain my situation to him to get his help, and pay in cash for all 6 3-month bottles, because my medical inurace would not pay for them until the 3 month were up on the lost bottles! I learned a very valuable lesson from that, and my meds are the first thing in my suitcase when I pack to come home! I believe they were just thrown out by the cabin stewart. :mad:

I have come to the same conclusion as when we were on the 'Star Princess' I left all six prescription bottles in a gallon ziplock bag in the bedside table drawer on ship, and I realized it when I got home and unpacked. It was a 3 months supply of each med, which is how I receive them, I called Princess with the information, and since each bottle had my name on it, I was hopeful that I would get them mailed to me. Never happened, and when I called back a week later, Princess said that nothing was found in the cabin. In order to get another whole supply of my meds, I had to make an appointment with my doctore, go and explain my situation to him to get his help, and pay in cash for all 6 3-month bottles, because my medical inurace would not pay for them until the 3 month were up on the lost bottles! I learned a very valuable lesson from that, and my meds are the first thing in my suitcase when I pack to come home! I believe they were just thrown out by the cabin stewart. :mad:

Of course they were tossed. The ship can't clear customs and sail with random bottles of drugs with no owners on board. While I sympathize with you about the cost of prescriptions, not packing all of your stuff is really your problem, not "Stewart's."

I once found a beautiful bracelet on our first formal night, I handed it in to the pursers desk straight away because I was thinking someone would be devastated to lose this bracelet. ( I know I would )

It would have been easily identified because it was so unusual, but, as it turned out maybe not.

I had given my cabin no. when I turned it in and then heard nothing. I presumed the owner collected it and life goes on. 10 days later I received a lovely phone call for another pax thanking me for handing in the bracelet. She was devastated and had checked at the pursers desk every day for 10 days and was told NO, nothing has been handed in. Fortunately she perservered because on the 10th day they said OH wait a minute we did have something handed up that matched your description. DUH

As I said, it was very distinct and could not be mistaken for any other bracelet.

I was just very pleased she finally found her bracelet but she went through heartbreak for 10 days thinking it was gone forever. I, on the other hand got the warm and fuzzies because she was very happy.

Just thought I would share my story.

The cruise line does not always get it right the first time. But it is a good place to start.

Well I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at how many responders chose to directly criticize me regarding my post without knowing the whole story. Sadly, I see this time and time again on this forum.

Perhaps I should take some blame for not providing more details

Earnied

I didn't bother posting in this thread, other posters already said the same thing I was going to post. You really have to take all the blame in not providing the details. Posters don't know the whole story, they only know what part of the story you decided to share. You can't blame posters for basing their comments on the part of the story you decided to share. Posting on cruisecritic, in addition to contacting Princess, is the right thing to do.

II have come to the same conclusion as when we were on the 'Star Princess' I left all six prescription bottles in a gallon ziplock bag in the bedside table drawer on ship, and I realized it when I got home and unpacked. It was a 3 months supply of each med, which is how I receive them, I called Princess with the information, and since each bottle had my name on it, I was hopeful that I would get them mailed to me.ewart. :mad:

There isn't any reason to take a 3 month supply of your medicine. Take what you'll need for your vacation. Maybe take enough for an extra week in case you have a problem. Original bottles isn't usually an issue. I'd probably take an original bottle (with label) if it was a controlled substance. You can tell your pharmacy you're going on vacation and you need smaller bottles, with an original label. A local pharmacy will be more then happy to comply. I had to talk to a couple of customer service representatives before I found a CSR at my mail order pharmacy that would do what I needed. They mailed me some smaller bottles with typed labels for me to attach.

edited to add I'm making this suggestion for the benfit of people reading this thread. I understand the temptation to just grab all your bottles, no matter how many pills are in each bottle.

Well I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at how many responders chose to directly criticize me regarding my post without knowing the whole story. Sadly, I see this time and time again on this forum.

Perhaps I should take some blame for not providing more details but I live a very busy life and was merely taking a quick first step in trying to locate the owner of an item that we accidently brought home with us. My wife does all of the unpacking and packing on the ship (should I expect more criticism) and she unknowingly packed an item that had been left behind by previous occupants from some prior cruise. If the cabin steward checked to make sure that the drawers were empty and clean after each cruise we wouldn't be in this situation.

At any rate the post did bring up some good points about how this type of situation should be properly handled and my gratitude to those responders that gave me the benefit of doubt and chose to address the general issue rather than go on the attack.

This is a good lesson to everyone that if something is found in the stateroom left by the previous passengers, turn it in to the room steward or the purser's desk, don't take it upon yourself to attempt to find the owner.

Earnied

I thought I smelt a "set up".

I have been cruising since 1967. During that time I have innocently lost a few items. The only item every returned was an expensive pair of sunglasses that rolled out of my bag on a shore excursion. The person who found them were mine and was in the taxi after we had been it!

Over the years I have turned many things into the Purser. However, when you exit your cabin, anything left in it is thrown away. That is the instructions from the "home office". .......

I probably would have turned it in to the Purser, especially if it was something I found in my cabin.

I don't think "anything" is true or the intent of any instructions. Suppose a passenger left a $2,000 digital SLR in the cabin, would that be thrown away rather than turned over to the ships lost and found?? Like any directives there is a bit of common sense that comes into play.

While on our Ruby Princess cruise 3/14 - 3/21 we found an electronic device that had been left in cabin R722 (Riviera Deck). If you're out there on this forum and want it back, identify the device and we'll make arrangements to get it back to you.

:rolleyes:I was on the Ruby the week before and misplaced a HP Digital Camera however I was in a different Stateroom. We did have friends on the Riviera deck which we visited quite often who did have the same room steward as r722. I have already filed a claim with Princess's Lost and Found Dept. I saw this thread and thought I would take a shot in the dark to see if it could be my camera. Thank you.

This post kind of reminds me of a true story that happened on one of our cruises a couple of years ago. A piece of luggage was mistakingly delivered to the wrong cabin. The folks who got the wrong luggage put it under their bed and said nothing for the entire two week cruise. On the last night of the cruise these folks finally mentioned to their steward that they had this bag and what should they do with it when they left the ship. We know this story because the couple who owned that bad (and did not have most of their clothes for the entire cruise) were our table mates at dinner. I guess there is no way to teach common sense or common decency. I also assume that my message is lost on the OP.

Hank

Well Gang!!!

Yet another cruise ethics problem resolved here on CC.

SUMMARY

The intent of the OP was good but as we have seen from many other cruisers, there is more than one way to resolve an issue, in fact using CC and turning the item into the purser's desk/ship's office (which OP still can do) would be doubly effective.

Ciao for now!!!

This post kind of reminds me of a true story that happened on one of our cruises a couple of years ago. A piece of luggage was mistakingly delivered to the wrong cabin. The folks who got the wrong luggage put it under their bed and said nothing for the entire two week cruise. On the last night of the cruise these folks finally mentioned to their steward that they had this bag and what should they do with it when they left the ship. We know this story because the couple who owned that bad (and did not have most of their clothes for the entire cruise) were our table mates at dinner. I guess there is no way to teach common sense or common decency. I also assume that my message is lost on the OP.

I am speechless...I can only hope that their luggage was permanently lost on their trip home....unbelievable....

Im amazed on how many people jumped on the band wagon saying you stole something or you are wrong in what you did. Kudos for the OP for trying.

Heck just the other day I was at an ATM and a card was left in the machine. I grabbed the care and made my transaction with my account quickly and followed the driver ahead of me in line for about 4 miles where I lost him. I called the CC/bank company to have it canceled and right when I was almost finished with the call I spotted the car at the gas station. When up to the guy said are you "name on the card" he said yes I handed him my phone and his card never needed to get canceled.

I could of easily went into the bank and said one of your customers left this but I knew if I could find him/her that they would not have to deal with canceling the card and ordering a new one.

Again Kudos :)

Not that it really matters since it was not valuable- but on our last cruise, I opened the drawers to put away my clothing and low and behold the folks before forgot to pack :eek:....LOL How the heck do you forget the majority of your clothing? Not to mention it was a penthouse suite with a dedicated staff and I would have figured that it would have been checked and cleaned well after the previous occupants. I was kind of grossed out for the remainder of the week.

Not that it really matters since it was not valuable- but on our last cruise, I opened the drawers to put away my clothing and low and behold the folks before forgot to pack :eek:....LOL How the heck do you forget the majority of your clothing? Not to mention it was a penthouse suite with a dedicated staff and I would have figured that it would have been checked and cleaned well after the previous occupants. I was kind of grossed out for the remainder of the week.

You don't really think the steward actually wiped out each & every draw between occupants? They vacuum, wash out the bathroom and changed the bed & obviously clean anything that can be seen.

This goes to prove you need to take personal responsibility to check out your cabin as throughly as possible before you leave. IMHO it is not the next occupants responsibility for the items you leave behind. i will not bash earnied for anything. He is trying to get it returned. He may have returned it to the steward or purser desk, and it could possibly never make it into the system anywhere.

This actually makes me wonder how well the cabin was cleaned prior to them checking into it....:eek:

You don't really think the steward actually wiped out each & every draw between occupants? They vacuum, wash out the bathroom and changed the bed & obviously clean anything that can be seen.

Which is why I bring clorox wipes to clean all surfaces and drawers before we unpack. On one cruise the little shelves in the bathroom at the side of the mirror were filthy with dirt and toothpaste. I can't imagine putting my toiletries there without cleaning first. The rest of the bathroom was cleaned but that is part of their normal routine.

Which is why I bring clorox wipes to clean all surfaces and drawers before we unpack. On one cruise the little shelves in the bathroom at the side of the mirror were filthy with dirt and toothpaste. I can't imagine putting my toiletries there without cleaning first. The rest of the bathroom was cleaned but that is part of their normal routine.

I just borrow a bottle of the antiseptic stuff from the Internet cafe & clean down all the suspect places in the cabin. (counters, TV remote, telephone, bathroom areas, door handles, etc.) I don't know if helps or not but I feel better about it. ;)

I just borrow a bottle of the antiseptic stuff from the Internet cafe & clean down all the suspect places in the cabin. (counters, TV remote, telephone, bathroom areas, door handles, etc.) I don't know if helps or not but I feel better about it. ;)

You mean they give you the bottle? I would think they would advise you to get hold of housecleaning to do the cleaning and/or antiseptic administering. It's one thing when we chose to do it, but it just doesn't sound right that they would allow a guest to do it themselves.

You mean they give you the bottle? I would think they would advise you to get hold of housecleaning to do the cleaning and/or antiseptic administering. It's one thing when we chose to do it, but it just doesn't sound right that they would allow a guest to do it themselves.

I just borrow the bottle from the Internet cafe- There are always 3 or 4 bottles of the stuff sitting on the table. I realize the cabin steward cleans the cabin but not all the places I clean like the telephone, tv remote door knobs, etc.

At least I know it's done without having to call in for a special cleaning.

I, too, have found unmentionables in drawers. I grab a kleenex and dump them in the trash......

I ALWAYS wipe out the drawers, shelves, remote control, door knobs, water spickets, bathroom shelves and the button that flushes.......I bring my own container of clorox wipes.....I also do this in hotels and have a special pair of slippers that I wear inside hotel rooms and cabins.......Can you say "germophobe?"

On our first cruise while waiting in line to disembark in Mazatlan I found $40.00 (2-$20) on the floor. I went up the line as far as I could and asked if anyone had lost money. One old guy told me yeah, I dropped a hundred dollar bill. I just said wrong answer. I tried but no one could claim the right amount. So I bought drinks for our group at Senior Frogs!:D

I'm not sure why you would be under the impression that the full suites have a dedicated staff. I can assure you that this is NOT the case. Princess does not have staff who tend solely to suites (no "butler" service as some other lines may have).

Archived