RCL Stock Questions

ekeberg

We are thinking of buying 100 shares of the stock since it is at such a good price. Do they

still give ship board credits if you own 100 shares? If so how much do you get for a 12 night

cruise? Are there any restrictions on getting the credit? Where do you go to get the forms?

Thanks so much

Lynn

We are thinking of buying 100 shares of the stock since it is at such a good price. Do they

still give ship board credits if you own 100 shares? If so how much do you get for a 12 night

cruise? Are there any restrictions on getting the credit? Where do you go to get the forms?

Thanks so much

Lynn

Keep in mind that on board credits are not stackable....so if celebrity is offering an OBC for booking with your agent, you can not also get the stockholder OBC. That's a recent change...you get one or the other but not both.

As far as the lower stock price goes, they have new ships already being built....giant ships with lots of cabins to fill every week. People are not exactly rushing to cruise or spend their discretionary cash (should they have any) right now. One could easily imagine that there is some risk buying RCL stock....

"Keep in mind that on board credits are not stackable." I just found this out from your post. I am SO ticked. We recently booked a cruise through a TA and were given OBC. I never considered that we couldn't use our shareholder credit as well.

"Keep in mind that on board credits are not stackable." I just found this out from your post. I am SO ticked. We recently booked a cruise through a TA and were given OBC. I never considered that we couldn't use our shareholder credit as well.

The "non stackable" does not apply to all OBC, just the ones X or RCL giove out. EG: OBC when booking another cruise while on one etc. OBC from other sources, like TA or gifts from someone will still be separate.

As to the risk of the stock, I bought 100 shares at a cost of about $1000CDN. I used my retirement account, so I got a tax credit of $300. As well, I'm getting an OBC of $250US on my cruise coming up in 3 weeks (yea!).

Even if the stock tanked to its alltime low, I am covered.

But take a close look. The business, and the cash flow, have not changed significantly from when the stock traded above $40. There is nothing going on business wise except the generally shakiness of the markets that explains their precipitous stock price drop. Carnival has dropped almost as much, so it is not a reflection of RCL management.

Yes the recession is worrysome. No, people won't stop vacationing, but they will look for more value, and cruising is it. With more ships posted in northern ports and outside the US, there are more people who can cruise without the added cost of airfare.

In the short run, these new passengers may not spend as much on board, so profits will take a hit, but the cruise lines are covering their nut almost every cruise. When things turn around, and they always do, they are well poised to reap rewards.

Plus, protecting your investment by going on more cruises is a strategy you can sell to your spouse.

Paul

The OBC that the TA gives you has no effect on the shareholder OBC.

If as a Captain's Club member, you get a one category upgrade, can you still get the OBC for stock ownership?

According to what the fine print says - no

Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is no longer combinable with other Onboard Booking Credits, Loyalty Programs and/or other Reduced Fare Offerings. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions.

Oh thanks so much, cruisin'fanatic and paulred. I couldn't figure out why =X= wouldn't give stockholder OBC in addition to TA OBC. Didn't make sense at all unless =X= was being really Grinchy. I feel so much better.

When we were on board the Journey a week ago we put $200.00 down towards a future booking...which would guarantee a specific OBC based on the number of days in the sailing. We did ask about the stockholders credit and we were told that the stockholders credit and the OBC received because we "booked" on board could be combined. And that would be true for either an Azamara booking or a Celebrity booking. LuAnn

When we were on board the Journey a week ago we put $200.00 down towards a future booking...which would guarantee a specific OBC based on the number of days in the sailing. We did ask about the stockholders credit and we were told that the stockholders credit and the OBC received because we "booked" on board could be combined. And that would be true for either an Azamara booking or a Celebrity booking. LuAnn

Get it in writing....cause it isn't true.

If you have onboard credit, don't assume it is from the cruise line or the travel agent. Check with your agent. I was thinking of buying some stock to get the credit, because at current prices for the stock it wold amount to a significant discount in the price. I checked with my agent, and learned that the on board credit I thought was from him is actually from Celebrity, and the stockholder's credit would not be allowed.

If as a Captain's Club member, you get a one category upgrade, can you still get the OBC for stock ownership?

I asked this exact question to Mrs Buchanan at RCL shareholder benefits and this is the reply I recieved:

Good day,

One category upgrades do not effect the shareholder onboard credit.

Thank you.

So at least that is one perk that can be combined!

I asked this exact question to Mrs Buchanan at RCL shareholder benefits and this is the reply I recieved:

Good day,

One category upgrades do not effect the shareholder onboard credit.

Thank you.

So at least that is one perk that can be combined!

Thank you, Abbafan, for the information. I, too, am an Abbafan! We saw the play twice and the movie once. Could easily see it again

Hi Tom, all well here, hope the same there. Glad to see some evidence for spring here, even though it means I have to cut the grass today..........

An old Zenith hand like you ought to try Azamara, the ships are really nice and the service is outstanding.

Ed

Hi Tom, all well here, hope the same there. Glad to see some evidence for spring here, even though it means I have to cut the grass today..........

An old Zenith hand like you ought to try Azamara, the ships are really nice and the service is outstanding.

Ed

Although I have not cruiised them I have been on the ships and seen them.

Very nice - a bit smaller than Zenith / Horizon.

• 1 month later...

You do get Shareholder credits for back to back cruises. I did it last year. I have asked them if a shareholder credit can be used with a credit when booking while on a cruise. I am waiting for an answer.

Is the stockholder OBC combinable with an early booking discount?

If you book 2 cruises one immediately after the other does the OBC apply to each cruise?

Hi Grayjoh !

Im not certain what you mean by an "early booking discount", but if the discount is an OBC by Celebrity, then it's probably not combinable with the Shareholder OBC. If it's a straight reduction in price, then you should be ok.

If you book 2 separate Cruises (even if it's a back to back sailing), as long as all requirements are met, you would recieve 2 OBC's, 1 for each sailing.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. The early booking discount is simply a discount off the cruise price per person for booking early, i.e. £100 or £200 per person reduction depending on the length of the cruise. The discount is given by celebrity usually when launching new brochures.

I just got this e-mail concerning my questions on shareholder credits.

05/08/2009 03:32:28 PM

Good day,

We will always apply the highest available offer, or whatever offer you prefer.

If your travel agent is giving you the on board credit by purchasing it from us (as opposed to applying some available promotional offer) then you can have the shareholder.

The shareholder benefit is not combinable with the booking on board offer.

Kind regards,

The Shareholder Benefit Team

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Guest Sales & Service Administration

Archived