What is going to happen to prices?

Lisa&Neb

What will the price of cruising do in the future?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What will the price of cruising do in the future?

• There will be no real changes in the next year.
    • The prices will go up, to make up for the lack of pax.
    • Prices will drop very soon (3 months or less)
    • Prices will drop in 3-6 months
    • Prices will drop, but not for at least 6 months.

With the economy being hit hard, what is going to happen not just at NCL, but to cruising? Vote and leave a comment.

I am using this for info, but also to see what everyone else is thinking as we are looking at a March 2010 Eastern NCL cruise.

I think that bookings are usally so far out--- 9 to 12 months that we won't see much change until the next cycle hits. By next Jan. the pricing will change---up or down who knows, but if the cruise lines want to fill ships I think they will need to lower prices IMHO! Unless our stocks soar we will be looking for some very good deals.:rolleyes:

I doubt if there will be much of a change from today. If ships are having trouble filling, they will offer sales. There have been recessions in the past, and the cruiselines came back bigger and stronger. Cruises are here to stay and still offer one of the best vacation values available. :D

DT

I, too believe the prices will remain flat and agree that on board costs may rise. I also agree there will probably be some very good sales events to fill ships.

I haven't been following cruise pricing for all that long and agree that the pricing for the CY and GV cabins are crazy, but there is still a market for these cabins. DH and I do like to sail in a PH (aft facing). All of the AE and AD cabins for our January 2010 sailing are already sold and have been for at least three weeks now. Sure they may open up later, but for now anyway they are gone now.

I suspect if the recession or depression continues for any length of time, the cruise lines will follow suit with the airlines. To keep prices stable/higher for profit, they may temporarily retire some ships therefore reducing the amount of available cabins. There wasn't always this many ships sailing, the industry has been growing by leaps and bounds, so it definitely will survive the economic downturn. I'm sure they will continue to offer sales, but if that doesn't fill the ships, I think we'll see some reduction in available cabin space.

I don't know what will happen with prices, but I do know that we were booked in an AB Penthouse. We booked the cruise for Aug. 9, 2009 back in July 0f 2008.

DH lost his job in early Dec.2008. :( I just sat back and hoped for the best and tried not to think about it. We had an adjoining mini-suite booked for my parents (50th Anniversary).

DH was finally able to find new employment, so it looks like we are probably back on. :o

I wouldn't be surprised to see a slight increase in fares and on board fees, punctuated by the occasional "sale." The major lines know they have a loyal, repeat customer base. They also must have capital for new ship construction and maintenance.

On last week's CNBC documentary on NCL and Norwegian Pearl, the ship was not full and the week just broke even for the line on that cruise. Higher fares can only help the bottom line. While older ships will continue to offer the best value, the cruise lines realize many of us want to experience the newest and biggest offerings and will pay for the privilege.

Archived