grand princess - mediterranean explorer

baxter007

we are going on the mediterranean explorer tour later this year.

We have children, and have discovered there are extra costs incurred during the cruise. For example is the discretionary hotel and dining cost charged against both adults and children.

Are their extra charges for the use of the gym, or for shows or MUTS.

We understand their is a nominal charge for the ice-cream parlour, but what about the drinks?

Could someone please explain the system, as we are very new to all of this, being first time cruises.

Can the young people wear shorts at dinner time, or not....

So many questions I know.

Also are there stairs from all decks in the ship?

Hoping someone can help us with all our queries

we are going on the mediterranean explorer tour later this year.

We have children, and have discovered there are extra costs incurred during the cruise. For example is the discretionary hotel and dining cost charged against both adults and children. Yes

Are their extra charges for the use of the gym, or for shows or MUTS. No

We understand their is a nominal charge for the ice-cream parlour, but what about the drinks? Ice cream is available for no extra charge in the dining room at lunch and dinner and for an hour in the afternoon in the buffet area. No charge for juice at breakfast, milk at any meal, their standard coffee (from syrup, not fresh brewed), tea, lemonade in the buffet area. There is a charge for alcoholic beverages, soda, juice at other than breakfast, brewed coffee, specialty coffees

Could someone please explain the system, as we are very new to all of this, being first time cruises. Need a hint. System for what?

Can the young people wear shorts at dinner time, or not.... Certainly OK for small children (up to 8 years old?); not OK for teenagers. Not sure about inbetween.

So many questions I know.

Also are there stairs from all decks in the ship? Stairs are available between all decks where passengers are allowed. Elevators go to all but some of the sun decks.

Hoping someone can help us with all our queries

Many people on the board will be glad to answer any questions or address any concerns you have. Feel free to ask. No question is too unimportant to get answered.

Hi there,

Ask as many questions as you need,

As to the service charge auto tip call it what you want you do not need to pay this you could pay less, or take charge off for your children.

As to shorts, during the day you can eat in many places other than the main dinning rooms and you can wear your shorts there,

the gym has a trainer and extra classes for this and that, if you use these there is a charge, but not for just going to the gym

for the kids I would buy a soda card this will save you money, same with coffee you can buy a coffee card which gives you a small saving.

yours Shogun

Welcome to crusing!

Yes, there are stairs to all decks, and multiple staircases in various parts of the ship since it is so large. We use the stairs most of the time to try to work off a few calories!

I believe that shorts are allowed in the dining room except during dinner. And if they need a break and don't feel like dressing for dinner, you can always dine in the buffet at night.

I think Shogun answered the rest!

Re Stairs...Grand is a little different than the newer Grand class. At midship, there are no public stairs between decks. Although there are stairs in the atrium area - 3 decks, I think.

I was going to mention this about the stairs. I had a midship cabin so it's a minor irritation. Good to hear all the Grand class ships are not like this.

Look at this forum for details of ports you'll be going to:- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

Try this one for roll calls for different cruises. If you look for the date you are sailing, you may find a lot of useful information and you can also discuss this with folk who are going on the same cruise. You may make some good cyber friends http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=842704

Thank you so much for all your info.

Being from NZ were all costs are usually included and charges are up front this is all very new for us.

I have read that in addition to the 'discretionary' dining charge there is also tipping on top - is this true and how much.

Thanks

Thank you so much for all your info.

Being from NZ were all costs are usually included and charges are up front this is all very new for us.

I have read that in addition to the 'discretionary' dining charge there is also tipping on top - is this true and how much.

Thanks

15% gratuity added to all liquor charges. And I think soda, I'm sure that was on the soda card that I purchased. The soda card was either $24 or $29 dollars. Don't remember if that was with or without the gratuity.

The "discretionary hotel" charge covers the previously suggested amounts for your cabin steward and dining room servers. Many cruisers who have received what they consider excellent service will give a cash tip at the end of the cruise to the people who provided that service.

As others have posted, a 15% tip is included with any bar charge (alcohol, coffee, soda, etc.). Some people also add a cash tip when served a drink, but it is not expected.

Not included in the hotel charge are the Spa staff (usually tipped after a Spa service is performed) of the children's program staff (usually tipped at the end of the cruise).

Archived