Ft. Lauderdale ... 5hrs Post-Cruise Sunday ... What to do?

chiapet

Our Westerdam cruise gets back on a Sunday and our flight isn't until after 4pm out of FLL. There's always the Everglades ... but we really didn't want to do any of the "wildlife" tours.

We also have our luggage w/ us ... so too much walking around for shopping/etc. would be out too. Does anyone have any other ideas? Maybe a nice *dockside* restaurant that opens early enough for Sunday brunch/lunch?

We'd hate to drag our 2 kids to the airport to sit around for all that time :eek:

Thanks!

Our Westerdam cruise gets back on a Sunday and our flight isn't until after 4pm out of FLL. There's always the Everglades ... but we really didn't want to do any of the "wildlife" tours.

We also have our luggage w/ us ... so too much walking around for shopping/etc. would be out too. Does anyone have any other ideas? Maybe a nice *dockside* restaurant that opens early enough for Sunday brunch/lunch?

We'd hate to drag our 2 kids to the airport to sit around for all that time :eek:

Thanks!

I also would recommend renting a car. If you do self debarkation you can be off most ships by 8 and using the free shuttle can be at the airport by 8h30. If you rent from Thrifty, join the Blue Chip program before you reserve. Use this number in your reservation. You get to by-pass the counter in the airport and go straight to the garage to get your car. You will be leaving the airport with your suitcases safely stowed in the trunk before 9 AM.

This will allow you to have the flexibility to make a plan based on weather and what you are in the mood for. You might feel you need some extra beach time before going home, or if it is rainy a shopping trip to Sawgrass Mills will most certainly pass the time. Your kids would love lunch at the Rainforest cafe Or, of course there is always the Everglades.

Look for discount codes before you book.

As far as Dockside restaurants, we like the Cabana at the Days Inn near the beach. The boats are fun to watch and the food is pretty good.

Good Luck!

The rental car sounds like a great idea! Thank you all for recommending it. BTW, exactly how far is Sawgrass Mills Outlets?

... If you do self debarkation you can be off most ships by 8 and using the free shuttle can be at the airport by 8h30. ....

And as for this "free" shuttle ... who offers it? I don't believe it's HAL ... so I assume you mean the rental car co. would offer it if I book w/ them ... is that correct?

Thank you so much!

We had some extra time before the flight, and luggage to haul around with us earlier this month. We called the Duckmobiletours right on the beach in the center of town, they were happy to keep our luggage in the office area, we went to the beach,my sons (age 7 and 6) each got an airbrush "tattoo", we had lunch and then took the duck tour.They did a great job, and even after the cruise looking around on the water in the inland waterway was a great afternoon. We then took our luggage and off to the airport to head out. If the duck tour doesn't appeal to you, maybe another tour or location you want to see would work with you to hold your luggage. I didn't realize we couldn't check our bags in early at the airport, so we made these arrangements on the spur of the moment, but it worked out fine!

Tina

We had some extra time before the flight, and luggage to haul around with us earlier this month. We called the Duckmobiletours right on the beach in the center of town, they were happy to keep our luggage in the office area, we went to the beach,my sons (age 7 and 6) each got an airbrush "tattoo", we had lunch and then took the duck tour.They did a great job, and even after the cruise looking around on the water in the inland waterway was a great afternoon. We then took our luggage and off to the airport to head out. If the duck tour doesn't appeal to you, maybe another tour or location you want to see would work with you to hold your luggage. I didn't realize we couldn't check our bags in early at the airport, so we made these arrangements on the spur of the moment, but it worked out fine!

Tina

Thank you for suggesting this too. We did the Boston Duck Tour and the kids loved it ... but didn't even know that they had it in Ft. Lauderdale too.

But DH really liked the idea of renting the car and touring either the beach, Las Olas Blvd, Sawgrass Mills, etc... We even found a great rate that included a FREE shuttle from the port to p/u the car AND from the car d/o to FLL ... can't beat that ;)

Thanks to everyone for helping us out!!!

Archived