Train- Seward to Anchorage

bkcruzing

I was wondering if there is a certain side if the train that is better to sit on during the ride from Seward to Anchorage. Thanks.

I prefer the water side but really you'll be jumping back and forth from side to side so it doesn't matter that much. The water side will be on the left going back.

Here is a review of our trip from Anchorage to Seward on the train and a bunch of photos. I loved this trip!

http://familytravelfun.com/alaskarailroad.html

No really difference with the side. As stated you will jump back and forth and the train crew does a good job letting everyone know when they see things. You can also choose to sit on the upper deck which gives a very wide view no matter which side you happen to be sitting on. You'll really enjoy your evening train ride up, good choice!!

Sorry. Meant Gold Star service.

My answer is the same: anyone can go in the dome car, but they ask that people not stay there the whole time. I think the time limit is 20 minutes IF there are others waiting to go up there.

As mentioned seats are assigned. IF your seat is on the right side leaving Seward, STAY there until the Arm, you are on the right side for glacier viewing. Then head to a left side seat in the dome car, for the Arm. You also can stand in the vestibules.

You do have to switch off your seats, due to a 20-30 minute time limit. I just keep an eye out for a vacant seat, then move. Many times, I have gone, I haven't seen any "lines" here.

Archived