NCL Freestyle not so Free.

Ralph413

obviously you will be cruising other lines in the future. There are reasons for so many lines, what pleases one person isn't the same for the next.

I am not going to comment on the service as I wasn't on the ship. We have never had anything like you are discribing and have cruised on all mass marketed lines.

I will question a few things you have said as i think it is unfair to make statements that are only partially true::

1-NCL does not charge for the use of the gym or work out facilities, they do charge for the use of the entire spa...

2-the newspaper: as far as I know HAL is the only line that is furnishing daily brief versions of a newspaper. It is a nice feature but I don't go on vacation to read the newspaper. I feel if anything really earth shaking happens they will let us know via the TV or something.

3-they do have daily movies on the cabin TVs. We usually watch a couple during the cruise. Again we don't cruise to watch TV but sometimes it is nice to relax in the late afternoon. No they do not change every day, but they do offer about 6 or 8 different ones.

4-baby shrimp, yes, they are baby shrimp, but did you know they taste the same as jumbo shrimp. I have never understood what the deal is about the size.

5-the newer ships do have a movie theatre and I think the Epic is going to have movies under the Stars...

6-poor design, we had the same think on HAL, up and down to get to one of the restaurants. We didn't like it, but adjusted after a couple of days. Of all the things to make referance too??? I would consider that pretty picky plus what does it have to do with nickel and diming you???

I do agree about the pool set-up, but again, what does that have to do with nickel and diming plus you mention newer ships, I don't consider the Dawn a newer ship. I think more than judging NCL by the Dawn (I might add she happens to be the most popular ships for re-books) you should look at the newer NCL ships...She isn't old, but certainly not new.

Nita

Nita:

The Gem, which is their newest ship, does NOT have a movie theater.

There are no longer free movies in the cabin on the Gem. (I was on her 3 weeks ago.) I wouldn't be surprised if this will soon be fleetwide.

I'm sorry if I offended the many NCL cruise customers. The point is, I’ve been on 28 cruises and I never complained about any others except NCL. I was on a HAL in Oct 2008 and carnival in March 2008 no complaints. The TV was working fine just NO movies. The spa issue was than on other lines you walk up to the desk and ask for a locker key any they give it to you NO CHARGE. So you can workout sweat then hit the sauna or steam and shower NO CHARGE. The room noise was horrible. The carpenter told me himself people complain about this room all the time. You can see wood screws all around the door frame where they tried to fix it numerous times and can't. After going to the purser’s desk 4 TIMES I finally had to complain to Clyde the head of housekeeping and got a room change in Port Canaveral. I even offered to sleep in an inside cabin and just use the balcony during the day if nothing else were available.

Again I apologize to the many happy NCL customers. Obviously NCLis doing something right of they would be out of business. My one small complaint won't make a difference however isn't this, what these boards are here for good or bad?

The gyms on NCL ships are free. There are charges for the spa.

You and others need to read carefully before quickly defending. Here is what the OP wrote:

Most lines will give you a key to their spa so you can work out in the gym then go into the spa for a shower, steam or sauna. Nope not NCl, Spa guest only at $100 for the week or $20 per day.

Although worded slightly differently his/her thoughts and yours match on this subject.

Hi John and thank you. I'm really not trying to put NCL down I was just expressing some of my feeling. I wanted to give NCL another chance and cruise out of NY rather then fly to Fla. I thought I was also helping anyone who's booked in 9618 by warning them about the noise and advise them to get the cabin changed so as to avoid the aggerivation of dealing with the pursers desk. If I help one person with that then I accomplished the real purpose of this blog.

Nita:

The Gem, which is their newest ship, does NOT have a movie theater.

There are no longer free movies in the cabin on the Gem. (I was on her 3 weeks ago.) I wouldn't be surprised if this will soon be fleetwide.

But, they do sometimes show movies in the Stardust Theatre on sea days. At least, they did on my transatlantic in November 2008. Now, they might have stopped this, or it might be only because we had six consecutive sea days and they didn't want people jumping off the ship from boredom. But like I said, they might have stopped this policy.

And, I do concur that they no longer offer free movies in the cabin.

--Michael

I thought I was also helping anyone who's booked in 9618 by warning them about the noise and advise them to get the cabin changed so as to avoid the aggerivation of dealing with the pursers desk.

That could have been done with one sentence, eliminating the rest of the rant. Someone else did that recently about an allegedly noisy cabin on an NCL ship adjacent to the area where the pilots board and leave the ship. There's a huge difference between a rant finding fault with a zillion nits and a straightforward posting, free of bitterness and resentment, intended to provide useful information to others.

I'm sorry if I offended the many NCL cruise customers. The point is, I’ve been on 28 cruises and I never complained about any others except NCL. I was on a HAL in Oct 2008 and carnival in March 2008 no complaints. The TV was working fine just NO movies. The spa issue was than on other lines you walk up to the desk and ask for a locker key any they give it to you NO CHARGE. So you can workout sweat then hit the sauna or steam and shower NO CHARGE. The room noise was horrible. The carpenter told me himself people complain about this room all the time. You can see wood screws all around the door frame where they tried to fix it numerous times and can't. After going to the purser’s desk 4 TIMES I finally had to complain to Clyde the head of housekeeping and got a room change in Port Canaveral. I even offered to sleep in an inside cabin and just use the balcony during the day if nothing else were available.

Again I apologize to the many happy NCL customers. Obviously NCLis doing something right of they would be out of business. My one small complaint won't make a difference however isn't this, what these boards are here for good or bad?

My problem is that your information isn't 100% accurate.

You can use the gym, and then the sauna / steam room FREE of charge.

BUT...you have to use the one that's IN the gym, not the totally tricked-out one that's behind the spa, with therapy pools, heated loungers and multi-head showers.

It's my favorite thing too. ;) There's is no better way to understand where someone is coming from. Don't you take a person's history into account when assessing their opinions? It appears the OP was angry at NCL, regardless of whether we agree he had a right to be or not, I take it into consideration when assessing his opinions. (That and the fact that I didn't have any of these complaints on my Gem cruise.)

But I thank the OP for acknowledging the positives he found with the crew.

Well I for one am most grateful that you can glean a persons intent from their past posts. Secondly I am grateful that you have a clear system for determining the validity of an OPINION! Isn't this site called cruise critic? Can't someone post an opinion about a particular cruise without some "Stepford Wife" taking it personally? I find your arrogance and smugness offensive!!!!!!!!

Good day all. You can be sure I will not post a review of my cruise on here!!!!

Well I for one am most grateful that you can glean a persons intent from their past posts. Secondly I am grateful that you have a clear system for determining the validity of an OPINION! Isn't this site called cruise critic? Can't someone post an opinion about a particular cruise without some "Stepford Wife" taking it personally? I find your arrogance and smugness offensive!!!!!!!!

holy crap!

Go ahead. Believe the earth is flat. I am sure that you can find someone to tell you that they looked over the edge yesterday. Fortune cookie fortunes really are accurate. Go ahead and believe that too. After all, someone must have written that down.

Only a twit doesn't try to determine the validity of an opinion before giving it any credibility.

I get that and I was not criticizing. I was truly curious since, as much as I love movies, I could never find the time. I guess I like people watching too much so if I have down time, I'd rather sit out in public and take it all in. But power to your Mom!

Perhaps I'm a bit like DMH15's mom. One of the only things that interested us in the cruise's "attractions" was the cinema. We are cinema lovers and since we have small children there is never a way to go to the movies. Sometimes grandma will ocasionally babysit for us but then we generally go to the theater or do some other more elaborate program. I always think I can later buy the DVD, although of course it is not the same. But we really missed going to the movies and for some stupid reason I thought it would be a bit like our favorite movie theater. I didn't really put much thought into it, until we arrived at the boat (Celebrity cruise). We then realised the movies were all mainstream and really had no interest to us. Every night we would check to see what would be on and one of the nights the movie seemed interesting as it was related to the port we would be visiting next day - it was some european movie I had never seen or heard about but we were curious and wanting to profit the advantage of babysitting. Big deception! Not only was the movie theater empty but the movie was rather a powerpoint type of presentation, you know, the kind that is linked to some datashow projector. So, I can understand that now-a-days the boats would use that space to other things, there was no one there!

As to in-cabin movies, I think that people who have small children like us, might also profit one night or one afternoon during naptime. I generally prefer to read, but sometimes I don't mind watching a nice movie in my room. :cool:

Wow, I am amazed that you find me smug and arrogant. When I assess someone's opinion, it is for my own use. It does NOT SAY I don't want the criticisms to be posted. But it is absurd to think that every review applies to everyone. That was that person's experience and opinion and when I read it I need to determine whether it affects my plans and opinions. If we felt every review applied to us, we would be stuck, frozen in time, not knowing whether to cruise or not because some people love it and some people hate it. If you ever want to leave your home, you have to find a way to determine which reviews pertain to your style of vacationing. Is that really so difficult to understand? Or were you bent on attacking someone for your first post?

I am even more amazed that you would decline to share your review simply because SOME people will disagree with you. There will also be plenty who agree, that's life. Join in!

Edited to add: I had to chuckle at the Stepford Wife analogy, I am not sure I get it. But since I've never been compared to one before EVER in my life (except of course for the fact that I look EXACTLY like Katherine Ross - NOT), I'm going to choose to take it as a compliment. LOL

Perhaps I'm a bit like DMH15's mom. One of the only things that interested us in the cruise's "attractions" was the cinema. We are cinema lovers and since we have small children there is never a way to go to the movies. Sometimes grandma will ocasionally babysit for us but then we generally go to the theater or do some other more elaborate program. I always think I can later buy the DVD, although of course it is not the same. But we really missed going to the movies and for some stupid reason I thought it would be a bit like our favorite movie theater. I didn't really put much thought into it, until we arrived at the boat (Celebrity cruise). We then realised the movies were all mainstream and really had no interest to us. Every night we would check to see what would be on and one of the nights the movie seemed interesting as it was related to the port we would be visiting next day - it was some european movie I had never seen or heard about but we were curious and wanting to profit the advantage of babysitting. Big deception! Not only was the movie theater empty but the movie was rather a powerpoint type of presentation, you know, the kind that is linked to some datashow projector. So, I can understand that now-a-days the boats would use that space to other things, there was no one there!

As to in-cabin movies, I think that people who have small children like us, might also profit one night or one afternoon during naptime. I generally prefer to read, but sometimes I don't mind watching a nice movie in my room. :cool:

Makes sense. I am sure if I had young children my cruise schedule would be quite different. It's a shame the movie experience didn't pay off for you.

Hey.. some of us adults like naps in the afternoon on vacation watching movies or whatever is on the tv, too.. thats what vacation are all about.. 8-) Although I do have to say that on a cruise generally afternoon nap time is on the balcony watching the ocean go by..

If you are going to be offened or hurt by someone commenting on your review, then you are better off not posting one. You have to remember this is a public forum and not every thing posted here is warm and fuzzy. You can attack people for drawing their conclusions on the validity of someone's review all you want, but we all draw conclusions every day on how we find someones words or actions valid. We do that in different ways, but every day of your life you judge someone some way or the other. It is just human. So it doesn't make sense to me that you, who are a human therefore judge people every day, could put someone down for whatever they use to judge the validity of someone's review. What makes the way you judge their reaction to someone's response to a review any better or any more valid than their post responding to the review. You are doing the exact same thing. You basically are being critical of them for expressing an opinion of someone being critical of something else. The only thing you are saying is it is ok of you to be critical of the posting of the person who is saying something negative of the review, but it is not ok for them to be critical of the posting of the review. Just because this is cruise critic does not mean someone should be able to post a review and get nothing negative posted about their review. Thats what the review section of CC is for, not the boards.

I wasn't on this cruise, so I have no intention of "agreeing" or "disagreeing" with any specifics related to it. However, I do agree with a few things in regards to the ship design: Getting to the main floor of the aft dining room is absurd; we didn't eat in the main dining rooms at all, but I did encounter a mass of passengers crowding up the stairs while waiting for the dining room to open at dinner. Not terribly safe or efficient, IMO. Dead-ending at the bottom of the stairs into the dining room makes little design sense, again IMO. Having no truly separate adults-only pool is a shame and having one of the two deck pools designated "adults only" on the busy and crowded pool deck with loud music, kids running around and being kids in the other pool, along with the long lines for the slide, made the "adults only" designation meaningless for us. Of course we knew beforehand because we always fully research, so we wouldn't and didn't complain (not here and not onboard), but one a fave place for us to hang out on RCI is in the Solariums (especially the Voyager-class ones; love them). We did miss that. The elevators being designed so that some only went partway up or down was a bother. (OTOH, we usually take the stairs, so not much of an issue except at the end of a long port day going from deck 3 to deck 14.) Other than that, we felt the ship layout was fine and mostly efficient. We don't use the buffets much, but really liked the layout and the separate kids buffet. What a great idea to let the children have a buffet at their height with mostly kid fave foods. The smaller tables and chairs clustered nearby completed the concept. Nice.

beachchick

You are probably aware, but if you are not, I wanted to let you know about the review section of CC. That is the place where you submit a review and the mods of CC will post it. There are no comments accepted on reviews in that section. So, if you want to post a review where comments/discussion is not allowed, you will want to post it there.

CG

The OP needs to understand that you never never never post anything negative about your cruise on this board. the cheerleaders will attack like a swarm of bees. After reading the story about another cruise line who paid people to post positives on cruise critic, I wonder if these people are vying for a piece of the action.

After reading the story about another cruise line who paid people to post positives on cruise critic, I wonder if these people are vying for a piece of the action.

I would like to read the story you are referring to, can you let me know where it is posted and/or located? Thanks.

Archived