Help...Eastern or Western??

vball09

Hi guys! I'm new to the family cruises forum, but not new to cruisecritic or cruising. We are planning our 1st cruise with DD during Jun/July 2010. She will have just turned 2 by then, so she can go to Camp Carnival if she wants.

My question is which route do you prefer with toddlers--Eastern Car. or Western Car.& why? What type of excursions have you done with your little ones? It really makes no difference to us which itin. b/c we have done both. My parents will also be traveling with us.

Also, we plan on using Carnival...thinking about the new ship Dream.

Thanks!!!!!

Well, traditionally, eastern is more "shopping in a stroller, with a beach stop if you want" to me. Western is more "beaching it, hitting a souvenir shop on the way back to the ship", LOL. Eastern probably has few, if any, tender ports (which being a mom, would be a plus). there are no eastern ports I've been to that I'd hesitate to take my kiddos off the ship in. Although there are a few western route ports that are "iffy" (any in Jamaica, also Belize- depending on what you're planning on doing). Western also tends to be more "buggy", and your little one will be too small to put any heavy-hitting insect repellant on.

Taking those things into account, I'd vote eastern, I think. ;)

Eastern is a little more toddler friendly than Western.

The Eastern route has alot of shopping/beaches/scenic tours.

The Western rout has ALOT of Adventure type tours that the child would be too young for.

So when we go Eastern, we have an easier time deciding on excursions. When we go Western, I have to worry about age requirements for things like climbing falls, 4x4 tours, ziplining, cave tubing, river rafting. ;)

Archived