Malibu Beach info

MDL1771

Traveling with my DH, my sis and a friend of hers. My sis really wants to do the Malibu Rum Factory Tour and from what I read, there is a beach on the site of the Malibu Facotry. Can someone please give me information about the Rum Tour and the beach.

Also, while checking out other posts on this board (which is a wealth of information I might add) I noitced that you can swim with sea turtles. That is something I have always wanted to do. Where and how can I swin with the turtles? I would prefer not booking through the ship.

Thanks for the help :D

Traveling with my DH, my sis and a friend of hers. My sis really wants to do the Malibu Rum Factory Tour and from what I read, there is a beach on the site of the Malibu Facotry. Can someone please give me information about the Rum Tour and the beach.

Also, while checking out other posts on this board (which is a wealth of information I might add) I noitced that you can swim with sea turtles. That is something I have always wanted to do. Where and how can I swin with the turtles? I would prefer not booking through the ship.

In the morning we are going out with Hightide Watersports. This is a scuba provider from Barbados. They are the official headquarter dive centre assisting with the Barbados Sea Turtle Project. Their Team and Marine Biologists help these Hawkbill Turtles to survive. A year-round program (Tues, Thurs & Sat). Non-divers are welcome to join in. This is part of the Padi Project Aware. Marine biologists with the PADI turtle project capture, tag, measure and interact with you and you get an upclose and informative session about these creatures. You may even get to name a turtle if it hasnt been caught before. Afterwards, they take you for snorkelling session with the turtles. Pick up at the marina by the ship at 10am and return shortly after noon - leaves lots of time for afternoon activities. email Martyn at hightide@sunbeach.net or call 246-230-2890. We are very impressed with them and I have read a lot of good reviews on other sights. If you are not in port on Tues Thurs or Sat, then google barbados turtle swim and a number of tour operators will pop up. I think El Tigre is popular on these boards - you may want to search turtles on these boards as well.

For Malibu, you can make your way to the pelican craft centre and a bus will take you up to malibu for less that $2pp or you can grab a cab or you can walk from the ship. Malibu offers a tour, with 2 drinks and beach time for @$15-20pp. You can walk your way back down Malibu to Weisers and then to the ship about a 20 to 30 minute walk or you can grab a bus or taxi back to the ship. See my post below to APlmac and others for directions - here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=953629.

The beach itself isn't all that great. We wished we would have found a different beach. Very rock, hard to find a spot where you could stand in the water and not be standing on rocks. I would find a different beach if you could!

The beach itself isn't all that great. We wished we would have found a different beach.

Very rocky, hard to find a spot where you could stand in the water

and not be standing on rocks. ===> Yes..I agree.

I would find a different beach if you could!

Not surprising to hear your assessment of this strip of coastline.

The beach is okay but -as you mentioned- the sea-bathing/swimming conditions are uncomfortably rocky

-this has been my experience too!

There are better beaches on the island

but cruisers keep insisting they want something real close to the ship!

It's cute enough to look at from this point of view

Brandons-06.jpg

-with Malibu down at the far end

but locals have their reasons for recommending Carlisle Bay(Lobster Alive and Boatyard)

and Rockley Beach/Accra!

Could we do the Malibu Rum tour and then travel to a different beach?

We will be in Barbados from 7am to 6pm.

You sure have the time!

Further up the West Coast is Paynes Bay, then Holetown

-and then this beach..

ReidsBay-31.jpg

..which is typical of most W.Coast beaches

This is the beach where Harbour Master coastal cruises and Tiami catamarans

sometimes stop to swim and snorkel, and for lunch

but you need to know that the above-illustrated beach at St.Albans(Reid's Bay) is not a tourist beach, per se

and offers zero amenities....i.e. no chairs, no umbrellas, no eats and drinks..

..better you keep going further North, to Mullins

Point is, there are several choices along the West Coast of the island.

Malibu Beach is just that --- a beautiful beach with the Rum distillary behind the wall. You walk through a shop, get a wristband for a rum punch & the tour -- or you can skip the tour & stay on the beach. (Were on RC last time & that was a half-day excursion; also booked the Mount Gay Rum tour the same day.) Use caution, the rum does catch up to you in the sun.

We had our second cruise including Barbados this year --- it is about my favorite island & I'm sure it is the beaches!!! This year we went to the Boatyard, non-motorized activities included with a chair & umbrella for $15- bar there too!!! Next to the Boatyard is another beach (walked that one) Lobster Alive.

Hubby and I did this excursion because that's my favorite rum.:p The tour was interesting and they said it was optional and was only given in increment times. So once we go our wrist bands, we went and laid out, and enjoyed the crystal clear water. Then it was time for the rum tour and got our hard hats on. No camera flashes were allowed, just fyi. Then after the tour, we got to taste some different aged rums and then we went back out to the beach. Around 4pm the bus came back to get us and take us back to the ship.

I really enjoyed it because I got to learn of my favorite rum. Hubby liked the rum tastings.

Archived