Wow, that all I have to say about this one!!

Avril

Some folks have a low self esteem. They make efforts to deal with that shortcomming by doing what ever it takes to make themselves seem better than the next guy.

If there is a preception that brand A has a better reputation than brand B than some will want to brag that they are brand A users. Even if they never tried brand B. They will even ignore that brand B is sometimes a better value. They will only use that fact to drive there preconceived notion.

It honestly makes me laugh. I have tried both brands. I liked them both but niether are perfect. I look for a good value. I wish both lines all the best in these tough times. The better the competition the better for the consumer.

I think that you have hit the nail on the head. I see this in many situations.

For the view.:D

Darn! I must be older than I thought. I totally missed that point, although I must admit I enjoyed "the view" on a 4-day we took out of Canaveral.:cool: Great thing about shades; nobody can see where you're lookin':D

LOL, I have to say, I agree with you 100%!! :D Another good one I've heard recently (not on cruise critic): "I sailed on Carnival in 1970 or 80 something and it was a floating frat party with crazy, rude drunks running all over at all hours of the day and night, the food was awful, and the decor was tacky so I'll never sail Carnival again"!! :eek: Please (shaking my head in disgust).

Those comments crack me up tooo. My first cruise on Carnival was on the Mardi Gras back in the mid-1970's. I owned my own travel agency at the time and we did 4/5 or more groups a year on their ships; Mardi Gras, Festivale and Carnivale. What fun!! My groups were made up of mostly adults between the ages of 30 and 60....everyone had a great time. They were great ships.....and not gaudy at all! Those old gals still had plenty of beautiful wood, lots of real brass, inlaid exotic wood on the walls, very large public places with wonderful teak, plenty of nautical touches.

Were they party ships!!! Without a doubt, the 3/4 nighters were live and let live sort of like they are today. The 7-day was a little more reserved....as today.

The thing that set Carnival apart from other ships sailing in those days....and where the reputation came from was the fact that the ship was open for business 24 hours a day!!! There was always music playing somewhere (live), a bar or two open somewhere....until the last person had wandered back to the cabin........

I was a dishy 35 year old when I first stepped onboard. Now that I approach "geezerhood" - I've just completed my 64th Carnival cruise (In January - Liberty). I partied, danced and drank my way through those cruises when I was younger..... Now, I enjoy the quiet of my balcony with a good book, the sun and a room service sandwich. It matters not one whit.

Carnival started out being the best cruise experience and the tradition continues.

Back in those days, Carnival was considered an "upstart" by those other lines that stressed luxury and pampering reserved for the "upper crust"....Carnival made it affordable for you and me to cruise and it was great. It's interesting that those who looked down their noses then, those who made fun of this "new kid on the block" - most of them are under the Carnival umbrella today. Devine justice?

So, that's my response.... I don't pay any attention to those who speak of "party ships" and "gaudy". Frankly, I find the ships simply dazzling with surprised around every corner, on every ceiling and stairwell. When I cross that small path from land to sea, a smile comes on my face and stays there the whole time......

Darn! I must be older than I thought. I totally missed that point, although I must admit I enjoyed "the view" on a 4-day we took out of Canaveral.:cool: Great thing about shades; nobody can see where you're lookin':D
Yep sunglasses,DOD,And a "Good Book".Thats all you need.

Yup...i just was over there and told them they could polka dot zig zag and stripe anything they want as long as I am on that boat when it sails!!

I want all the people that find those rediculous things to complain about to switch ships if they are booked on one I am on...I dont wanna hear about that petty nonsense!!

I have been on RCCL one time and Carnival 4 times my 5th coming up. All I can say is Carnival will always be my first choice and flame me if you like but that is my choice. I have been told that Carnival is the K Mart of cruise line , will give me the blue light special. Carnival has so much more the RCCl to me. It would take something BIG for me not so sail Carnival.

It seems to me that for some reason, many people on boards develop a vested interest in how others perceive the cruiseline, amusement park, timeshare, etc. and take it personally when others experience a less than stellar trip. It really doesn't matter which cruiseline, timeshare or amusement park board we are talking about, if someone posts a negative it is sure to bring out lots of posts defending the line. We see those types of threads here on cruisecritic, you will see them on the DIS or over on TUG, flyertalk, etc. I accept others' opinions as that, others' opinions. They are relevant, just not necessarily to me, as this rambling post may not be to you. Bottom line, what does it matter if someone thinks Carnival is a c***line or the best value for your dollar. It is their opinion and the only weight that opinion carries with me is the weight I assign it.

I read that thread also and smiled, you know why? because those very same RCI people will be your Tablemates soon. :D

:eek: Good Lord, I hope not!! :eek:

Those comments crack me up tooo. My first cruise on Carnival was on the Mardi Gras back in the mid-1970's. I owned my own travel agency at the time and we did 4/5 or more groups a year on their ships; Mardi Gras' date=' Festivale and Carnivale. What fun!! My groups were made up of mostly adults between the ages of 30 and 60....everyone had a great time. They were great ships.....and not gaudy at all! Those old gals still had plenty of beautiful wood, lots of real brass, inlaid exotic wood on the walls, very large public places with wonderful teak, plenty of nautical touches.

Were they party ships!!! Without a doubt, the 3/4 nighters were live and let live sort of like they are today. The 7-day was a little more reserved....as today.

The thing that set Carnival apart from other ships sailing in those days....and where the reputation came from was the fact that the ship was open for business 24 hours a day!!! There was always music playing somewhere (live), a bar or two open somewhere....until the last person had wandered back to the cabin........

I was a dishy 35 year old when I first stepped onboard. Now that I approach "geezerhood" - I've just completed my 64th Carnival cruise (In January - Liberty). I partied, danced and drank my way through those cruises when I was younger..... Now, I enjoy the quiet of my balcony with a good book, the sun and a room service sandwich. It matters not one whit.

Carnival started out being the best cruise experience and the tradition continues.

Back in those days, Carnival was considered an "upstart" by those other lines that stressed luxury and pampering reserved for the "upper crust"....Carnival made it affordable for you and me to cruise and it was great. It's interesting that those who looked down their noses then, those who made fun of this "new kid on the block" - most of them are under the Carnival umbrella today. Devine justice?

So, that's my response.... I don't pay any attention to those who speak of "party ships" and "gaudy". Frankly, I find the ships simply dazzling with surprised around every corner, on every ceiling and stairwell. When I cross that small path from land to sea, a smile comes on my face and stays there the whole time......[/quote']

:D Very, VERY, VERY well said!! :D I especially like the part at the end about smiling as you cross that little path from land to sea. It's true for me as well!! :D

I don't really care either, I just find it incredible how rude people can be and that they will make informed sounding comments when the most they have ever seen of a Carnival ship is a picture of one!! :eek:

Now, to be fair to RCI, I rather like their ships. Well, the one I was on anyway). The Radiance of the Seas was one of the most beautiful ships I have ever set foot on!! :D However, if I had never been on an RCI ship, I wouldn't make comments on what their ship are or aren't and make it sound like I had been on one.

I know what you mean. People are RABID when it comes to their cruise line.

....until they lose their perks...then all of a sudden, Carnival isn't so bad.

This has been a freaking weird couple of days on these boards....

I think its funny that people from the Carnival board have gone over and posted on the RCCL board, but they haven´t come and posted over here.

Its like they are the group of people who snicker to themselves in the corner and make fun of everyone in the room, but they won´t come over and tell you something to their face. Where as the Carnival people are proud of the cruise line they enjoy and aren´t shy enough to go and tell others they´re cruise line isn´t the greatest regardless of what they say.

But isn't mindless brand loyaltywhat's causing all of this crap in the first place?
You can thank Madison Avenue for that facet of our lives!

Ever since speaking with an Advertising Exec. some decades ago

about how they get into the public's head

I've made it a point to consciously de-program myself of most advertising

including "Brand Loyalty"

The only real loyalty I've felt now for many years

is loyalty to my wallet. ;)

Obviously, this is now happening with regard to CCL prices vs. Exalted prices...:D

And may the best price win!

When I saw brand loyalty I mean they go on the cruise they enjoy themselves and have a good time, so next time they look to cruise they are going to look at Carnival first because they had a good experience on their first cruise and you know the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I know you're right in your perception of what people do...but when you think about it, isn't it freaking weird??

I mean, people will have a great cruise on (pick your line) and then actually are AFRAID to try another because it possibly won't match up....I did this myself and I have to say that it's plain stupid.

Think about how silly that is. It's fear, plain and simple....of what?? It's not like if you chose a different line you may be put in front of a firing squad LOL!

All these lines have millions of peopel cruising on them every year...how BAD can any of them be?? OK, not every line will fit every personality, but that can hold true within a line itself, or among different ships on the line too. Each sailing is always going to be different, even if you stick with one line.

Sticking with one line for a little while isn't too bad..but eventually, it does get old. Itineraries get stale as does the 'routine' of the ship. Mixing it up a little is wonderful.

I think its funny that people from the Carnival board have gone over and posted on the RCCL board, but they haven´t come and posted over here.

Its like they are the group of people who snicker to themselves in the corner and make fun of everyone in the room, but they won´t come over and tell you something to their face. Where as the Carnival people are proud of the cruise line they enjoy and aren´t shy enough to go and tell others they´re cruise line isn´t the greatest regardless of what they say.

Ok, here's one from the Carnival board. I'm a Carnival cruiser, always sailed on Carnival. But when I saw the Carnival Splendor, had it booked and read the reviews, saw the pictures, and layout of the ship, I had to cancel and book the Mariner for our cruise to the Mexican Riviera. I hated the decor of the ship, and the layout of the ship. My favorite class of ship is the Fantasy class (Elation especially). I like the openess of the lido deck. The Splendor to me seemed to enclosed. Therefore, I made the decision to switch to RCCL and try them for the first time. I'm sure I'll get flamed for crossing over, but to each is own.

I have never understood why anyone would care what cruiseline someone else cruises on. This goes for RC and CCL people are so caught up in pizzing matches they can't just relax and have a good time.

Pay for your cruise, have a great time and forget about what anyone else is doing or saying. It doesn't have any impact on you, they aren't paying your way, so get over it.

It's like people that drive a Ford against the people that drive a chevy seriously grow up and cruise where you want on whatever line you want and quit the childish mud slinging.

Whew, I feel better now :p

I have never understood why anyone would care what cruiseline someone else cruises on. This goes for RC and CCL people are so caught up in pizzing matches they can't just relax and have a good time.

Pay for your cruise, have a great time and forget about what anyone else is doing or saying. It doesn't have any impact on you, they aren't paying your way, so get over it.

It's like people that drive a Ford against the people that drive a chevy seriously grow up and cruise where you want on whatever line you want and quit the childish mud slinging.

Whew, I feel better now :p

Hey Poobears, my local sports team is better than your local sports team! ;)

Ok, here's one from the Carnival board. I'm a Carnival cruiser, always sailed on Carnival. But when I saw the Carnival Splendor, had it booked and read the reviews, saw the pictures, and layout of the ship, I had to cancel and book the Mariner for our cruise to the Mexican Riviera. I hated the decor of the ship, and the layout of the ship. My favorite class of ship is the Fantasy class (Elation especially). I like the openess of the lido deck. The Splendor to me seemed to enclosed. Therefore, I made the decision to switch to RCCL and try them for the first time. I'm sure I'll get flamed for crossing over, but to each is own.

Me too, me too......can't wait to sail the Mariner:) Although I wouldn't call it crossing over for me........I love variety:D

Me too, me too......can't wait to sail the Mariner:) Although I wouldn't call it crossing over for me........I love variety:D

I'm looking forward to our cruise in May! However, the Elation to Cabo which stays 2 days there is looking pretty good! Might have to book that next! Again, I just LOVE the Fantasy class, best ship on the fleet IMO!

So glad to hear this. We have been on Carnival once (28 years ago, an old ship). We were young, fun and had a wonderful time. After kids couldn't afford to go for many years, but once we started we went to Celebrity, Princess, Holland America and most recently RCI. We are no booked on the Miracle on 2/24/10 and even though we are now 58 and 62, we are looking forward to it. I have heard they have changed and we should have a great time. Thanks for your comments.

Patti & John

The Miracle is a beautiful ship - we sailed on her Dec. 23-31/08. This was our first cruise, and we (DH, DD & her DBFF) had a blast...what an experience. We were so taken with cruising that we are booked on the Pride (sister ship of the Miracle) out of Baltimore in May. This time only DH and I are going ! (along with 18 others from our Bowling League !), but we expect to again have a great time - A vacation is what YOU make of it, regardless of others opinions. :)

I'm looking forward to our cruise in May! However, the Elation to Cabo which stays 2 days there is looking pretty good! Might have to book that next! Again, I just LOVE the Fantasy class, best ship on the fleet IMO!

Been on the Elation 3 times and loved it.........but....and a big but.....we prefer balcony cabins:o. And I won't pay for their overpriced suites. Sooo we are looking at the Radiance in the meantime for short trip to Cabo in the fall......

That is of course just until the Elation gets fitted with new balcony

cabins:D

Read this thread...

it sounds like my BROTHERS...

One is RC loyal

the other CCL loyal

I've been on RC (booked w/my mom by RC brother) and had a wonderful time. Now DH and I are going on 20th anniversary cruise on CCL...

I was asked by RC Brother "Why r u going CCL? RC has same Iten."

Well, Yes they do but RC do not leave from the port the time of year that we are going...

Of course CCL loyal brother is TRILLED...and had much advise to share w/me about the ships etc.

Anyway bottem line, it is our money and choice. PEOPLE, do what you want, when you want. Don't worrie about others and hear and don't hear or read and don't read what people say.

Archived