Couple Questions - Jet Ski Tour; Downtown Tour; Rum

Jhubs

Hi Everyone- I love this site because of the awesome feedback and hope I get some on this topic.

My boyfriend and I are looking for things to do in Grand Cayman...we came accross a 2 hour Jet Ski excursion that goes to the Sting Ray Sandbar and to 7 mile beach...has anyone done this before?

How long does it take to see the town? Any tours of the town you recommend?? Is the Rum factory within walking distance from where the ships tender?

Lastly- if you want to take liquor back from any of the ports does anyone know if the airport limits what you can take home? Do you have to check it or do they let you carry it on the plane? Do they charge additional like they do for baggage these days?

Thanks for all of your help!!!

PS....can anyone fill me in on what "DH" means? I see it all over the place on this site!

I don't think there is one tour that combines SMB and Stingray City/Sandbar. SMB is on the west side of the island and Stingray City is in the North Sound. There is no waterway connecting to two parts of the island. Tortuga Rum Factory is a fun outing in George Town!

My boyfriend and I are looking for things to do in Grand Cayman...we came accross a 2 hour Jet Ski excursion that goes to the Sting Ray Sandbar and to 7 mile beach...has anyone done this before?

If you search this forum, there are lots of reviews and discussions about the various jetski excursions. Likely, yours is just the standard one that everyone mentions, and then the tour company drops you off at Seven Mile Beach after the excursion for some beach time. They may or may not provide you with transportation back to the ship after the beach time, so that's something you might want to check on.

How long does it take to see the town?

Depends on how long you browse in the stores and how fast you walk. The downtown area is mostly shopping, plus what I'm told is a really good museum if that appeals to you.

Is the Rum factory within walking distance from where the ships tender?

No. However, there are lots of stores that sell rum and rum cakes within walking distance.

Lastly- if you want to take liquor back from any of the ports does anyone know if the airport limits what you can take home? Do you have to check it or do they let you carry it on the plane? Do they charge additional like they do for baggage these days?

Depends on your airline and destination, and whether your flight is direct or you have layovers. Check your airline's website and they'll have all of their regulations spelled out in full.

There are also customs limits set on how much alcohol can be brought home "duty free" but again, those vary from country to country as well as by length of trip. Check the customs website for your country and they'll have all the info there.

PS....can anyone fill me in on what "DH" means? I see it all over the place on this site!

DH is short for Dear/Dearest Husband or Darling Husband. It's an internet shortform...you'll also see DW (Dear Wife) and every other variation on relationship descriptions. It's generally used instead of putting his name or writing out "husband" in full a bunch of times.

Unless you are flying directly back from GC you can't have the rum in the cabin of the plane. It must be in a checked bag and you each can take back 2 bottles duty free but don't forget they weigh a lot. Your baGGAGE WEIGHT LIMIT IS 50 LBS. Customs really doesn't care if you go over your allowance. Be sure to pack the bottles carefully with a lot of dirty clothes wrapped around them.

Archived