Hell & Beach by Bus or Taxi?

CMM

I am confused as to what the difference is between the public bus/van system and the taxi systems.

Sounds like with taxis you must wait for them to fill and the buses are actually vans. So what is the difference? One is $2.50 per person and the other $5. I also read a post that said the taxi driver gave them a coupon for a free drink, but I am thinking that might be hit or miss.

Wondering what is the cheaper way to go for 4 without it being a hassle.

We want to go to seven mile and briefly stop at Hell on the way or return. There will be 4 of us. We will most likely only be at the beach for 2 hours or less. If we are purchasing beverages, are there shaded tables/stools for free with a view of the beach or should we plan on renting chairs. Don't want to sit on a towel.

Thanks for any insight.

Public buses are large vans, and follow a set route. Buses charge $2.50 per person, and you can get out wherever you want along the route.

Taxis are either cars or vans, and will go wherever you want to pay them to go. Taxi rates are regulated, and there's a fare chart that sets rates between various destinations. I haven't seen any taxis with meters.

Generally, though, a ton of the van-style taxis will be waiting at the pier to operate as shuttles to head to popular destinations. Those ones usually wait until they are full before they head out, and charge a set rate per person which is generally a lot lower than the actual cost of a regular taxi ride to that destination.

Some taxi drivers will also act as tour guides on occasion, and offer island tours or will take you to a number of stops with a waiting period included. Others may offer coupons as a bonus if you choose their taxi and preferred destination.

There will be lots of taxis headed to Seven Mile Beach and/or Hell. It's a pretty common destination. Probably the easiest thing to do is look for a driver at the pier who will take you to Hell first (it only takes 10 minutes or so to tour the entire place) and then drop you at the Royal Palms or Sea Grape section of Seven Mile Beach afterwards. You can easily find a return taxi from either of those locations when you are ready to go back to the ship. I'm not sure how much per person the first trip (ship to Hell to 7MB) would be, but the return trip should only be about $5-6 per person.

At Royal Palms and Sea Grape you will find all the facilities you need, including free beach access, restaurant/bar with shaded tables, restrooms/showers, and rental lounges/umbrella/watersports.

Thanks bookbabe for your information. Sounds like getting a cab to take us to hell and then 7 mile beach is the way to go. I hope it won't be too difficult getting a taxi who would be willing to do this.

Bookbabe,

We will be in GC with a "slow walker" who requires 2 canes to walk. Is it accessible to go to the beach and if so where would be the best place to have the taxi let us off and pick up. Also, how is the terrain in Hell?

Thank You

We will be in GC with a "slow walker" who requires 2 canes to walk. Is it accessible to go to the beach and if so where would be the best place to have the taxi let us off and pick up.

Royal Palms should be fairly manageable, if they can do some stairs. The taxi will let you off in a parking lot, and then it is sidewalk, with a few steps up to the restaurant area. From the restaurant, there's a few steps down to the sand of the beach. If I'm recalling correctly, the restrooms are about two steps down from the level of the restaurant.

I doubt a wheelchair could make it, but someone with a cane could if they just take it slow and careful. You can see the restaurant and beach areas on Royal Palms' webcam here - http://www.reefgrill.com/ - that may give you a better idea of what the place looks like.

I haven't gone into Sea Grape, only driven by, so I can't say for sure what the accessibility is like there. Chances are it's similar, though.

Also, how is the terrain in Hell?

Hell has paved and wooden sidewalks. :D Hell is very accessible. Most of the gift shops have one small step up, like a raised door sill.

Archived