which cruise line?

cruise newbie127

We are considering an Alaskan cruise this summer, but I can't decide which cruise line to go with. I have narrowed it down to Princess, Carnival, HAL, and NCL. The itineraries are similar, so that wouldn't be the deciding factor. We have two boys, 10 and 14. Since this will be the first cruise for all of us but me (I have been on one other about 6 years ago) we would like a ship that has activities we can do together. We are not big drinkers/partiers and in our 40s. I am a little leary about the Carnival line. The one cruise I was on - a Carnival cruise - had a majority of 20 something year olds who were working their way from one bar to the next, and spent their time drinking and sunbathing. I was hoping to steer away from that this time. Also, while I enjoy a good back rub as much as the next person, I don't see us taking advantage of any spa treatments, so this is not high on the must have list. Can anyone give me some insight as to what cruiseline is their favorite, and why they prefer it over the others? Thanks in advance for your help!

I think you'll find the Alaskan cruises are nowhere the "party" atmosphere of a Caribbean cruise. And the longer, more expensive trips seem to have a more "mature" crowd. I'm not saying that no one will barhop, but it won't be the norm on ANY line! Don't be afraid of Carnival!!!

Princess seems to be the Alaskan favorite--it's been doing it for a long time!

Personally, I'd go with the ship that gave me the best price for the largest room I could afford!

I think you'll find the Alaskan cruises are nowhere the "party" atmosphere of a Caribbean cruise. And the longer, more expensive trips seem to have a more "mature" crowd. I'm not saying that no one will barhop, but it won't be the norm on ANY line! Don't be afraid of Carnival!!!

Personally, I'd go with the ship that gave me the best price for the largest room I could afford!

Thanks! That's good to know!

We took the kids on a Princess cruise in the Caribbean and they LOVED it! Princess has a fabulous kids club for all different ages. When I was on an Alaskan cruise with my mom, there was not a big party atmosphere, and there were many teenagers on board. I would say from 10 y/o and up. I plan to take my kids on the Alaskan cruise next year, when they will be 10 and 12. You'll be pleased with Princess. As it's my only experience it's the only one I can comment on.

Spot on advice! With two boys, I'd want the most space for my money.

I think Carnival gets a bad rap based on old ads and their cruise style from 20 years ago on the small "party ships," as well as an unfair bias (IMO) from many members here who slam and flame Carnival at every opportunity--even if, maybe especially if, they've never even cruised with the line! I have to admit that really ticks me off. I especially dislike when members make rude comments like "If you want to wear jeans, go with the white trash crowd on Carnival" and similar. That's simply rude and inappropriate. Looking at the newer, larger ships, it seems that they have dedicated space to children's clubs and other currently popular features. Sounds like their color schemes still tend to be a tad "louder" than some, but the vibe seems to be far more main-stream and completely appropriate for the non-"party" crowds. (Besides, the smaller, older ships that do the weekender itineraries for most other mass market lines tend to be party-oriented and a bit wilder. Gosh, just go read some reviews about RCI's Monarch of the Seas or similar. That's exactly what I'd expect on any weekend getaway, inexpensive cruise.)

beachchick

Archived