What to do in Kona for the day

PRIDDO

This will be my first time to Kona and was wondering if there is enough to see by just wandering around the town or if we need hire a car or scooter and if so what should we make sure we see? (we like to snorkel)

This is a TOP snorkle area. I especially like the area near Port of Refuge, and a very nice scenic drive along the way. Superb snorkle location. :) I've rented from Dollar, right at the King Kam hotel, walk to right from the tender dock.

This will be my first time to Kona and was wondering if there is enough to see by just wandering around the town or if we need hire a car or scooter and if so what should we make sure we see? (we like to snorkel)

There is a beach right beside the pier and there are shops and restuarants in the area as well. You only need a couple hours to hit the shops but then I'm not a shopper.

Kona is also the island were part of the "Ironman Championship" is held, this years it's October 10, 2009

Here is a web page on Kona that you might want to have a look at

http://www.letsgo-hawaii.com/kona/

There are some nice shops in Kona and they are right by the pier. There is a great shave ice place just a block down the street. Also right next to the pier is a nice little beach. I snorkeled there and there were some fish.

The best snorkeling is at Place of refuge. It is around a 30 minute drive from Kona so you would need to rent a car.

Hope this helps.

Is renting a car the only way to get to the Place of Refuge. Is there public transportation?

YES, the only way, unless you want a high cost limited ship excursion.? Place of Refuge is a National Park, extremely interesting by itself. The snorkling is NOT HERE, it is outside it. You turn right at the fork just before the toll gate, for snorkle access. Do not miss this if a snorkler, some of the best shore snorkling in Hawaii.

If snorkeling is your thing... and you want to snorkel one of the best spots in the state, definitely rent a car and drive down to Two Step, right next to Place of Refuge. Highly recommended. We went there twice in our 8 day visit. This was what we had planned to do when we went on our cruise in 2005/06 and we ended up missing the port. I was so disappointed because we were really looking forward to going down there. So when we booked a land vacation - it was a priority and did not disappoint.

If you don't want to rent a car and still want to get some fun snorkeling, you can take a cab to Kahalu'u Beach which is south of the port just a bit. It can be crowded, but a nice beach that is cut into two sections. There are facilities & food vendors. We really enjoyed this beach. Just tell the cab driver when to come back to get you. This is where I finally got to swim with a honu in the water. We had seen them on the beaches all week - but saw him in the water here. It was great!

You can visit our Kona Travel Log here.... pictures included. :)

http://ourloveoftravel.shutterfly.com/bigisland2008

You will want to rent a car from Dollar or Thrifty. They have a special place to order for cruise ship passengers. You don't want to have to take a taxi to the airport. The King Kam hotel is just steps from the tender landing. Be sure to order ahead of time because they don't usually have cars for walkups. Our cost last year was about $40 for a Dollar midsize (we ordered economy)car. Have a great visit!

We also snorkeled in Kona and went with Captain Zodiac. It was one of the highlights of our trip. We saw tons of fish' date=' and turtles. We also went in February so the whales we all around us. It was a great experience.[/color']

We can 2nd that. It was GREAT!!!!! Speed of the Zodiac, we were lucky enough to see a school of spinners. Then to the snorkel spot. We REALLY enjoyed this a LOT.

There are some photos in the 2007 link below in the Kona area.

Archived