Champagne & Charlies, Lifeboats, Windows Tables, Closed Bars in Port,

I just posted my most important question about our sad, sad disjointed group but have a few more - wrapping up the details... My goal is a smiling relaxed bride and I appreciate any help I can get. She is seriously regretting her decision to do a great NCL cruise... I'd like to change that! I just have these these last few nagging questions.

In order of adrenaline pumpage:

• Will NCL allow us to bring champagne on board for after the sunset beach ceremony on the beach in Bermuda without paying corkage since we are not drinking them on the ship? They could even hold it for us until we are in port if that would make it work...

• Is the lifeboat Safety Drill directly after sailing? Our tentative plan is to have our group gather directly after the drill at Henry's Pub.

• Might anyone know if there are large tables near the big windows at the Spirt's 'Windows' restaurant? Seating 8 or 10? I'd like to request those if possible so the bride has a long walk through the dining room looking stunning and beaming. Also the MOB is making centerpieces and she wants to know how many she'll need i.e. how many tables...

• Are all bars open in port all the time or do some close? We'd like guests to trickle into Champagne Charlie's when they're ready to go to the wedding but what if it's closed???

• Does Champagne Charlie's (on the Spirit) serve regular drinks/snacks or only top shelf $$$$$ - don't want to invite everybody to meet someplace before departing for the beach wedding for only top shelf stuff... I fear mutiny!

• I read on CC that it is a good idea to get the NCL Spirit's phone number in case we need to contact the ship. (In case something happens at the wedding??? Delay?? Not sure.. just would like to have it.) Where do I get it?

Thank you in advance. I'm hoping this is my last long post LOL.

Clare

Quincy, MA

Sorry I can't answer many of your questions, but I do know that the lifeboat drill will be directly BEFORE sailing (about a hlaf hour before sailaway) not AFTER. Caps just for emphasis, not trying to be cure or poke fun.

I can answer at least a few of your questions.:

I doubt NCL will let you take the champagne off the ship. If they don't collect their corkage fee, they are going to hold it until the cruise is over. It would likely be a violation of Bermuda law (or the law of any country) to bring alcohol into the country without it going through customs and paying any tariff that might be due.

Life boat safety drill is normally about 30 minutes before sailing, but under the law it can be held any time in the first 24 hours.

Not all bars will be open at all hours. Check the Freestyle Daily for hours.

The phone number you want is that of their local port agent. It will be published in the material on Bermuda you will get in your cabin the night before arrival.

Since everybody answered all your other questions. We had 8 people in the center of the rear window in windows. Talk to the resturant manager, you can ask for a phone number on the ship to call him as he has a on ship phone. Tell him how many people you have and you want the window and what time. They will gladly set it up for you.

I wasn't very clear in my second post... sorry. I find myself typing and deleting because I'm naturally wordy - but fighting it. It's a disease.

But thanks for your kind wishes. No need for a red face. Her fiance is adodrable - though he, too has been 'wearing beige' and I fear the you know what is hitting the fan. I'm counting on CC...

Auntie Clare

about the champagne....explain to them what it is for. They may allow you to bring it on board and take it off when you land in Bermuda.

No one checks what you are taking off the ship in Bermuda....I have take a cooler with tons of stuff in it and no one has looked in it....

Champagne can be purchased in Bermuda at any of the wine stores. It isn't cheap however.

http://www.bermuda.com/travelcenter/customs_regulations.php

One bottle of Champagne per adult would also be allowed as duty free if declared anyway...

I suggest that you contact the group event coordinator to make sure that the ship knows about your group, pre-wedding and wedding plans.

email: groupeventXXX@ncl.com (replace XXX with the ship's name)

The on-board group coordinator can be a big help, so make sure that they know what's going on with your group.

I would suggest buying champagne in Bermuda ... you could make advance arrangements via Internet and FAX.

MOST EXCELLENT INFO ON THE 1L of wine pp. I will also look into buying it in Bermuda (I can just see me now... on the moped LOL). Thanks.

Also, thanks again for other ideas/suggestions/answers. I e-mailed the Group Events Coordinator today and have my fingers crossed. The plan (at the moment) is to have a loose itinerary planned (what our goals are, really) and firm it all up/tweak it once we are on board.

I assume the Event Coordinator and On-board coordinator coordinate LOL... That would be very helpful, as well.

Thanks, again!

Clare

p.s. Insomnia is usually a lonely business... but not tonight!

No one checks what you are taking off the ship in Bermuda....I have take a cooler with tons of stuff in it and no one has looked in it....

Never say "no one". I've cruised to Bermuda more times than I can count, and I have seen the local officials stop more than one person and search backpacks or whatever they were carrying. Usually they are looking for drugs...and I've seen them find some and detain the person. Someone carrying a lot of stuff off the ship, as would likely be the case here, might be a prime candidate to be searched. Who leaves the ship with anything much more than a backpack or beach bag with some towels and sunscreen?

you really, really need the help of the ship coordinator. do you have a wedding coordinator in bermuda? they should be able to help you with champagne.

champagne charlie's is the "open" piano bar on deck 8. it's open at noon during sea days, but doesn't open until later on port days. since it is a open area , that overlooks deck 7, there are no doors to "close". but the bar would not be open. if you talk to the ship coorindator, a place may be set up for your group to meet.

on the cabin's card...on the back..is the phone to call for emgerencies, like missing the ship :eek:. or other problems in port.

as said, the drill before you leave...it's after this time that things start to get going. more bars start to open. here's one thing, on the spirit there is a lovely open area on the aft, right outside the buffet area. lots of seats, great views, open bar..close to the drink station for water/ice tea and such.

i would seriously doubt you could take champange OFF the ship. some of the islands are cracking down on what you can take off the ships. especially since you will be leaving as a group, carrying extras for the wedding.

just remember, since the wedding is not through NCL..if there is a delay, the ship MAY not be able to wait for you.

Archived