Tipping on CCL?

Specter

Jeanie-

I agree with you. I read on here that the Maitre'd is on a 'captain's salary' and then with tips added in, they make BANK. Not sure if that's true or not.

Again, not trying to have an argument here- just an open and respectful conversation... ;)

No problem with that, here.:)

One way to look at the tipping issue is to think of what you might be tipping on a land based vacation. You would probably eat 2-3 meals out each day for 7 days. In a hotel, you would probably tip the maid a couple of bucks per person per day. If you added the weekly amount you would be tipping, it would probably be a similar amount. Adding an auto tip to my S&S account is just a convenience for me. I don't have to carry cash around the ship all the time to tip people.

I see your point on that as well. I think it was our 1st cruise didn't have auto tip- and seemed like the workers were better. They remembered your name, where you're from, were more friendly and went more out of thier way than they do more recently, since the auto tip was brought in. Maybe it's just me, or maybe you're right- the auto tip has made some workers a little more 'relaxed' than they used to be? I remember my parents really loved ONE specific worker- while the other one was not very good. They made it a point to hand the envelope to that specific worker, and thank him & his boss for doing such a great job.

My DW and i have not cruised in years and the last time was back when all tips were hand delivered the last night of the cruise in those little white envelopes.

We had become very comfortable w/ our waiter thruout the cruise and when we saw the dining room about 1/3 less full than normal we asked him why ? he replied very nicely that this happens every cruise . The folks that don't tip don't want to face the waitstaff and the other cruisers and not tip so they just don't come to dinner on the last night.

He said that the wait staff knew it was going to happen every cruise and that some didn't tip because they were cheap , some did not tip because they had not budgeted to have money left at the end of the cruise for tips and some

may have not considered the service worthy of tips.

I asked him if he knew that someone was not going to tip would that persons service be any different ?

His reply was that he would try to make sure that that person got the same timely service that everyone got but that he would not go out of his way to provide extra service to that person . I.E. second helpings , special orders ,

He also informed me that some of the waitstaff would hear passengers talking about not tipping and they would get served the inital dinner then would be ignored the rest of the night.

If your service is not up to par please talk to the appropriate supervisor.

Never remove ALL tips. (that just makes the staff member think you are a stiff)

If your service is bad (won't happen) remove

most of the tip for the offending staff member.

That way they will know that you thought about tipping and you weren't satisfied.

I am very good about leaving a .25 tip in a resturant if the service is horrible . But ,i allways speak to the mgmt. and tell them why the small tip.

that way they can talk to the server and explain it to them as they see fit.

Good servers are allways happy to see us coming and we remember the not so good servers and refuse to be waited on them again.

The four of us left a tip on our dining table each night just like we would if we went out to a restaurant at home. And we also left a lil something on our pillows each morning before heading out for the day. A lil kindness goes a long way and I would NEVER remove the autotips.

Agree! Carnival should open a special line at purser, call it "Tip Adjustments"! Wouldnt that be fun to watch! LMAO

Yes then you could have shifts assigned to give people assignments to stand by the line.

Person #1 (Dirty Looks Woman)

Person #2 (Dirty Looks Man)

Person #3 (Rolling Eyes Woman)

Person #4 (Rolling Eyes Man)

Person #5 (Stair While Whispering Comment)

Person #6 (Why Are You Adjusting The Tips)

Person #7 (Standing BY With a Bucket Of Paint)

Person #8 (Flame Thrower)

If you make it past all of these people you may adjust your tips!

My last carnival cruise was in 2005. We were on a very tight budget because after we booked our cruise, a situation arose at my employment and after many discussions with my wife, I decided to quit and open my own office. We were going to cancel the cruise, but my Wife's mother offered to pay for our cruise. When we went on the cruise, money was tight, but we planned on tipping. It was the first cruise we had auto tipping. That cruise, the service did not warrant anything extra.

This years RCI was our first cruise in 4 years. We turned autotip on. RCI does not allow you to adjust up or down. We gave extra tip via cash to our Assistant Waiter and Steward. Our Waiter was also our head waiter, so he got double the tip by virtue of being both. (our first waiter had to leave the ship early due to a family emergency).

I am very good about leaving a .25 tip in a resturant if the service is horrible . But ,i allways speak to the mgmt. and tell them why the small tip.

that way they can talk to the server and explain it to them as they see fit.

Good servers are allways happy to see us coming and we remember the not so good servers and refuse to be waited on them again.

LOL! Let's hope they don't wait on you again. My college roommate was a server in a restaurant while in high school, and the stories she told about what happened to the food of the customers that were rude or that were known for not tipping would make your hair stand on end! :eek:

Back on topic: leave auto-tips on unless you have very poor service. That's the easiest way to handle it. We've always had great service on our cruises. Give extra to those who you feel went above and beyond for you.

Don't tip the Maitre D' unless he does something special for you or is just particularly friendly.

And, yes, I always tip hotel maids.....each morning, because even if you stay more than one night it might not be the same maid each day that cleans your room. :)

No, read my signature. Been on CCL twice- just was a while ago, I don't remember how it went. Things change, and I was young ;)

I see your point, and agree. Removing the tips ahead of time is just causing problems, and yes, can be the sign of someone not intending to tip at all (it wouldn't surprise me if my BIL/SIL did that!). I also see the point about it 'possibly' being an insult to tip upfront (although, the auto tip is doing that anyways). Well not exactly, it is not like they are receiving the tip. They will get that tip if they do their job. You are giving it to them upfront. Would you ever tip a waitress or waiter as they take your drink order?

I brought up the on-land tipping to make my point. There's those who attack & criticize everyone for bringing up the tipping question. The on-land tip question was to make them take a hard look at how they are before they criticize others. No one's perfect. I'm reading other 'tipping' threads now, and they can get pretty ugly. Let's just drop it and move forward here before this gets ugly as well. ;)

I've read of people giving 'gifts' to workers at the end of the trip- pre-paid phone cards, etc. Does anyone do this too? What are examples of gifts you give your workers?

I read that they really prefer cash. Maybe something personal but I would not want a gift for a tip. Give me something I can spend.

LOL! Let's hope they don't wait on you again. My college roommate was a server in a restaurant while in high school, and the stories she told about what happened to the food of the customers that were rude or that were known for not tipping would make your hair stand on end! :eek:

Back on topic: leave auto-tips on unless you have very poor service. That's the easiest way to handle it. We've always had great service on our cruises. Give extra to those who you feel went above and beyond for you.

Don't tip the Maitre D' unless he does something special for you or is just particularly friendly.

And, yes, I always tip hotel maids.....each morning, because even if you stay more than one night it might not be the same maid each day that cleans your room. :)

I agree, I am sure they have gotten some things done to their food. I tip about 10% if the service is not good. They did take our drink order, bring us our drink, take our food order, bring us our food. If they provide good to excellent service they get round 20%.

In the book that is out, about working for Carnival for a year, the American is trying to get the position of Maitre D' because that is one of the highest paid positions on the ship. The waitstaff earns a majority of their money from the tips. The Maitre D' gets a salary that is substantial. They oversee the dining room and staff. The staff works for him, he works for .... and so on. Unless the Maitre D' does something special, as was stated in earlier posts, I am not planning on tipping him. If you read the literature from Carnival over carefully, you will see that when you buy a drink, 15% is added automatically, I am not sure what the percentage is overall for the rest in the autotipping.

If you think about it like that, the people that are paying more for their cruise are getting out cheap in the autotipping! Since we are ALL paying the same per day. That is if they ONLY do autotipping and not adding to it. (Please don't flame me with that remark!) I do understand that MOST people do pay more as a whole. BUT just think about theory of it.

I do think that we will be tipping some money at the dining room for each meal. We generally tip at the least 20% on land, unless service is bad, more if service is better than just average. We still tip something but probably only 10% on so-so service. They still do have to make a living, and you never know what is going on in their life that particular day. I have never not tipped based on what the food was like, the server is just that, the server. They have no control over the taste of the food. That would be like shooting the messanger.

I never thought about tipping a hostess. They are making at least minimum wage while waitstaff are making well below that, there is something wrong in that as far as I am concerned, especially now that I know some restaurants take the CC charge out of their tips. Yes it is legal. Sucks, but legal.

We will leave the autotipping alone and will tip during the cruise as the need arises.

Robin

Rookie mistake I made many years ago... didn't realize there was the auto-tip in place. I tipped MORE than the suggested amount, including the maitre'd at the end, in cash. So we paid more than DOUBLE the amount, and I assure you, we didn't receive that great of service. Oh well- my mistake, it all comes around.

Yes, I am on a budget- but am asking questions for my entire party who is asking me, the 'Veteran Cruiser' a bunch of questions- which, I'm bringing here. My FIL is old school, he tips in cash, sometimes in advance to people like a 'room steward' or 'concierge' or whatever. He believes he gets better service for that. My SIL/BIL are complete tight wads and are upset about the auto tipping. They WILL tip, but have a hard time with a pre-set tip amount in place before they receive the service. I'm just asking questions for everyone in my party, as I don't know the answers.

You say it's not fair to call people cheap or tightwads unless you know them. You called your own family tightwads and yes I know that you know them but you opened that door.

I can remember my very first cruise many years ago. Nothing was mentioned about tips until the last night. My sister and I were both very naive and unaware of this. We went on a 4 day cruise and the suggested amounts for each of us totaled $100.00. Well above the now suggested tip of $10.00 per day. We both tipped $50.00 I believe.

I now leave autotips in place and cannot imagine ever removing them. If my service was so bad that I would contemplate that , I would go over someone's head immediately and not wait until cruise was over. This is just my humble opinion.

5-GO.gif

I have always left Autotip ON . . . it would take a very unusual set of circumstances to make me ever want to adjust that down . . . EVER .

I usually cruise SOLO, so I try to compensate for the steward's "reduced" tip with only one person in the cabin by making his/her job easier. I make the bed (I know, I know . . . a childhood habit that I never overcame), keep the cabin tidy, clothes hung up, everything put away, bathroom towels hung up, toiletries in order, etc. Always hoping the steward looks upon my cabin as a "day off". :D

I've never tipped the maitre' de, but have never had use of his/her services. Usually don't even know who it is unless they come to my table (always the last day at sea :rolleyes:) and introduce themselves.

I try to locate at least 2 Carnival employees who have gone above and beyond, usually bartenders/bartendresses (even though I don't drink much) and give them a nice tip $20.

I recall a tiny little Thai girl that couldn't have weighed over 80 pounds, draggin this huge bus cart all over the buffet picking up dirty plates and cleaning tables, almost every day. Always a smile on her face, offering to get me more coffee, etc. I extended a tip to her on debarkation day and she was so cute and so grateful it seemed like I must have been the first person that ever did that. I have no idea what $20 is worth in Thailand, but it almost brought tears to her eyes. Very rewarding to me. :)

LOL. No, but I find, especially with the Room Stewards- a little $20 up front will assure them that you WILL take care of them, if they take care of you.

I've heard of people going the first day, taking the auto tip off their account, and then tipping those employees individually with cash throughout the cruise. Does anyone do this? What's your thoughts about it?

Tipping up front is not tipping it is bribing.

I always go down and take the tips of one of our accounts, since their are two of us in the room...we always leave cash for the room attendents and the waitstaff...we feel they are the most important and deserve more then what Carnival gives them...

A few years ago we were on an NCL ship and on the last day we were sitting in lobby by pursers desk as people went up to remove tips from their accounts. We were shocked as we had seen these same people raving about the service they were getting during the cruise and on the last day saying it was terrible. I know there are tightwads out there but come on, cruising is a great value and the majority of the time you get very good service from your waiter, asst. waiter and cabin steward. These people work their fannies off.

Sue,

I was a waiter in h.s. and after in some nice and some top end resturants here and you are exactly right about the things that have been done to peoples food. :eek::eek::eek:

...and in most States it is a Criminal Offense, not to mention the sick thought processes of the kind of people who perform and/or accept this kind of behavior. :(

I guess this must be the most talked about and controversial subject here on CC. Carnival and other lines give a suggested (guideline) amount to be tipped and then add it automatically to you S&S card as a convienience to the customer. Passengers can and should adjust up or down, give extra cash if they want, when they want, or don't do anything based on their experience with those providing the service. I personally tip as my conscience dictates and don't have any second thoughts about it, but I think some people need validation for their generosity or lack there of, whatever the case maybe. Just Cruise and be happy...don't sweat the small stuff. :)

LOL. No, but I find, especially with the Room Stewards- a little $20 up front will assure them that you WILL take care of them, if they take care of you.

I've heard of people going the first day, taking the auto tip off their account, and then tipping those employees individually with cash throughout the cruise. Does anyone do this? What's your thoughts about it?

We wouldn't remove autotip but we typically give our room steward and our waiter a little extra something withing the first day or two. Typically a 10 spot.

I've never reduced my tips because the service has always been good if the service wasn't great I would probably reduce the tips. I usually just tip extra on the last night to my cabin steward and waitor.

I've already stated that I am a standard 20% tipper, and have NO intentions of removing my tips. In fact, we're budgeting for ADDITIONAL tips- even tho we're on a budget. So let's be mature, and have a civillized conversation please. I'm not insulting or attacking anyone here- no reason to get fiesty ;) BTW- how many of you, especially the ones getting soo defensive, tip your HOTEL MAIDS when you check out of a hotel? Or when you leave the room for the day? 95% of people don't tip them ANYTHING. How many of you tip your HOSTESS at Applebee's? I'd say 99% of you don't. Or the Applebee's Manager? You ever tip them? Don't they perform the same tasks as the Maitre'd? Just curious...

Now- back on topic. If someone complains, or removes a tip early in the cruise- does that server get notified? Will it be held against the passenger for the remainder of the week?

Is the concensus that tipping the room steward EARLY considered an insult? Personally, I would love if someone tipped me early. That would be a compliment, don't you think?

You're both right and wrong. Cruising is a bit different than Hotel Maid. The relationship between the steward and the guest is more a 'butler' type thing than a maid thing. Most hotel maids don't bring your ice, make towel animals, hose down the balcony..etc. Cruises have a bit different rule of etiquette. In hotels you're normally out of the room all day. Not so on ship, they work around your schedule (except when you're in port).

Yes, they'll be informed if you remove autotips. How this affects your service is up the Steward. However it is 'insulting' as autotips are minimal..removing them is threatening action. (You'd better do good or zip for you!). I'd rather not start off on that foot with someone.

I'd rather try to cultivate a good relationship with the 'help' up front.

Tipping upfront is not an insult. To me it says "You'll be getting another tip in addition to autotips at the end of the cruise"..call it a bribe whatever.

BTW: I always tip the hotel maid daily and at the end of the stay.

Guest TropicOne

Hi Spector, inform everybody in your party that the auto tips are done like that to ensure fair distribution to all staff who take care of you and your stateroom.When you consider the entire cost of the cruise the auto tips are a minor amount.

From Emily Post 1922.

----

Each ordinary first class passenger, now as always, gives ten shillings ($2.50) to the room steward or stewardess, ten shillings to the dining-room steward, ten shillings to the deck steward, ten shillings to the lounge steward. Your tip to the head steward and to one of the chefs depends on whether they have done anything especial for you. If not, you do not tip them. If you are a bad sailor and have been taking your meals in your room, you give twenty shillings ($5.00) at least to the stewardess (or steward, if you are a man). Or if you have eaten your meals on deck, you give twenty shillings to the deck steward, and ten to his assistant, and you give five to the bath steward. To any steward who takes pains to please you, you show by your manner in thanking him that you appreciate his efforts, as well as by giving him a somewhat more generous tip when you leave the ship. 31 If you like your bath at a certain hour, you would do well to ask your bath steward for it as soon as you go on board (unless you have a private bath of your own), since the last persons to speak get the inconvenient hours—naturally. To many the daily salt bath is the most delightful feature of the trip. The water is always wonderfully clear and the towels are heated. 32 If you have been ill on the voyage, some ship’s doctors send in a bill; others do not. In the latter case you are not actually obliged to give them anything, but the generously inclined put the amount of an average fee in an envelope and leave it for the doctor at the purser’s office.----

So 5 bucks in 1922 dollars to the steward.

Considering the cost of a movie was 25 cents in 1922..and milk was 33 cent a half gallon (1920) and bread was 1 lb. 10¢ 1925 New York. Well, do the math. Okay..for todays bread 1.59. times 50. 79.50Dollars to the steward alone.

Archived