Bolongo Bay Beach Resort/my review

giginevelyn

Here is my opinion of Bolongo Bay Beach resort. There isn't much information archived here about this place, but we were there in March and this is what we experienced.

We were there on March 18. We docked at Crown Bay and the open-air taxi ride was $9 per person EACH WAY. Four in our party (2 adults/2 small children) so you need to factor in that getting there and back (for us) was $72.00:eek::eek:. Its not much less from the Havensight dock ($7 pp). It took us approximately 25 minutes to get there (taxi made one stop first to let others out). On the way back there was a lot of traffic (3 ships in port that day and it was a week of Spring Break), starting just before Havensight. It was bumper to bumper so you need to plan well if you go to Bolongo, in order to make it back in time. I would say plan 45 mins. minimum for your return. Getting a taxi was easy from Bolongo; they had one waiting on property for guests. I would, however, mention at the front desk that when you will need one for your return, and at what time, just to be safe. I know that there was a couple who needed one to the airport just after us, and they had to wait because the taxi that was waiting took us first. The taxi driver was chewed out over the radio later, since they had a hard time getting a second taxi for the other guests. Our taxi driver said that there are times in St. Thomas when there are not enough taxi's. Probably cruise ship days.

We arrived at Bolongo and paid for our day passes at the gift ship. For us it was $120 for a family pass. We proceeded past the pool to the beach to start our day. There were plenty of chairs. The beach was probably not St. Thomas' best. This bay is very pretty, but I didn't like the rocks. My kids are 6 and 9 and it wasn't the most kid-friendly beach. The sand is very rocky. So is the water. You absolutely should have scuba shoes to get in and out of the water here. We did some snockeling near shore but didn't see much (however, if you go and happen to see my husband's wedding ring while snorkling, let me know:(). Perhaps it is better further out. If you need shade there are plenty of places to find it under the palm trees. We did not partake in much of the free use of non-motorized water sports equipment, other than using their snokeling equipment, so I cannot comment on that. You will also not get any bar service at the beach. You will have to walk back up to the pool/restaurant area and get drinks yourself. This is also where the restrooms are. They were very clean.

The sole reason we chose this place was because of the use of their pool. We used the pool for about half of our visit. There was only 1 other person using it while we were. Plenty of chairs/umbrellas. It isn't a large pool, but worked for us. There is no bar-service at the pool, but its right there so it isn't inconvenient to get something. They also sell soda's at the gift shop right there and they are only $1 each. We didn't plan time to stock up on soda's for the ship anywhere, so we grabbed a couple 6-packs there. Still cheaper that $2.35 a piece on the ship.

We ventured into the restaurant for lunch. We ordered a conch fritter app., a Pina Colada, chicken salad, club sandwich, hot dog, hamburger and 3 soda's and it was $70! Food was good though. Pina Coloda was not.

All in all, for us it was just okay. Its on the older side and I wouldn't personally want to spend a week there. Especially with kids. There are no frills here and its very layed back. It seemed more of a couples place. It gets very good reviews though, on Tripadvisor. I personally think for that much money ($260 plus for a half-day), you can probably research and do better. The draw for us again, was the pool. Looking back now, I think a pristine beach that was kid-friendly would have been the better bet.

I am attaching some photos. Will follow with more in a seperate thread.

DSC03682.jpg.d44fcafe56ace3cac2fd935b9c18c346.jpg

DSC03683.jpg.94093ee766bc8af21199a92c6c221453.jpg

DSC03684.jpg.e62d07a2f3aed02c00e9a01f1a7c9a5c.jpg

DSC03687.jpg.4d451cb78439c2f07893aba5e481053d.jpg

DSC03688.jpg.ecc82b8a6438064030da6662a0e6a38c.jpg

Thanks so much for giving us a review!! Did you eat at Iggy's or the other restaurant? Sorry the Pina Colada was not good! It does sound like a pretty pricey day - I'm still so confused about where to go this time that we may end up going back to St. John!!

Thanks again!!!

PS: Love the pic of the iguana by the pool!

Thanks so much for giving us a review!! Did you eat at Iggy's or the other restaurant? Sorry the Pina Colada was not good! It does sound like a pretty pricey day - I'm still so confused about where to go this time that we may end up going back to St. John!!

Thanks again!!!

PS: Love the pic of the iguana by the pool!

Iggy's was not open when we were there. That Iguana is a regular. Apparently, he/she has no problems with the resort;). I personally think that if the pool is not a factor, then you can do better for the money.

• 3 weeks later...

THANK YOU so much.

This is exactly what I was looking for. My husband and I considered this for our day there but after reading your review, we're going to pass.

I wish I knew of a different hotel that would sell a day pass.

Thanks again!

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this information. It sounds like not a bad place to hang out. We are going at a time when there are 5 ships in port (including the Oasis) and concerned about how busy the more public beaches will be.

What did the day pass include? It is $60 a person which seems high if no food or drink is included.

Could you not just rent the chairs and enjoy the beach?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Guess this answered my questions posted in an an older thread I resurrected... maybe we'll do a snorkel trip which guarantees getting us back to the ship on time!

Last trip we docked at Crown Bay (which is nearer to Emerald Beach), went into Town & saw what we had planned to visit early in the day-- The town really got crowded around lunch time so we headed baclk to the ship via taxi --it was a traffic nightmare- had hoped Bolongo would work better but not so impressed at this point.-

We did a day room at Emerald Beach this April. If I were to write a review, it would be pretty similar to the OP's here with the exception that the beach there was really quite nice-great sand inside and out-no rocks-beautiful bay-VERY child friendly. The taxi's were $7pp +tip each way from Havensight for us and the day room was about $150ish after taxes and fees.

If I were to do it again, I'd just go to the beach there and rent the chairs.

Archived