Shanghai Port

Cruiser in TO

Does anyone know exactly where we will be docking in Shanghai?

We will be on the Diamond Princess in Shanghai on Apr. 28/09. Due to the size of the ship I believe we will be docking at a container terminal about 60 to 90 minutes from the downtown. Can anyone confirm this?

I also assume that Princess will have shuttle buses to take us into town. Can anyone confirm this and know where will they drop us off in town?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Hi.

Even Docking Ports for each trip have been planned years ahead, but due to conditions of ports as tide, wind, activites in ports... the exact location cannot be confirmed until few days before the ship is arrived.

I was on Queen Victoria docked at Shanghai International Automotive Terminal on 8th March 2009, which is in Waigaoqiao Free Trade Zone. about 20km North East from Shanghai City.

There was not much public transport around this area and not many taxis drivers from Shanghai City well know this area.

This time we paid 49 USD for full day returned shuttle bus from Port to Shanghai City (was free with last Queen Mary here). My drop off point was Julong Handicrafts and Silk Exhibition Hall, which was near People Square and in walking distance to NanJing Road, The Bund and Yuyuan Garden.

We enjoyed Shanghai!!!!

Shanghai1.jpg.d56f3a29c3433ce843f29f117785a07b.jpg

Shanghai2.jpg.084d0bfafbee9bc16680ad334071fed6.jpg

Shanghai3.jpg.6a09f5ad955a34b7b4a107693033cc39.jpg

We stopped in Shanghai on the Pacific Princess. There was a shuttle into town. As I recall, it took 30 minutes and was about $4per person each way.

I think you are on a larger ship and will be docked much further from tow than we were.

We stopped in Shanghai on the Pacific Princess. There was a shuttle into town. As I recall, it took 30 minutes and was about $4per person each way.

I think you are on a larger ship and will be docked much further from tow than we were.

Just off Diamond Princess and we docked in a container port some 40 minutes from Shanghai although because of the heavy morning traffic the inward run took a lot longer. The shuttle (no charge) dropped us off in a central location outside a silk factory and we were able to get a taxi very cheaply outside to the Jade Buddha Temple and from there to the Yu Gardens. Shanghai is very easy to do on your own cheaply - Princess gave us a card with all the major attractions with the chinese translations. Mind you a taxi in Shanghai is an experience as the driving there is manic.

Roger

Hi there. Have just returned from your cruise aboard Diamond Princess and can confirm that you are indeed dropped off at the container port. The complimentary shuttle took us 2 hours due to the heavy traffic but just 40 minutes to return with no charge.

You are dropped off at the Silk Market (and I cannot remember the name) and can take taxis from there to where you want to go or I guess even local buses.

Shanghai is currently under mass reconstruction so places like the Bund are not going to be seen at their best.

As we have been to Shanghai before we had a personal tour guide and travelled around Shanghai on a motorbike and sidecar and it was the best ever. Our French guide spoke perfect Chinese and took us to places that a tourist would not normally see.

Do enjoy Shanghai.

Hi there. Have just returned from your cruise aboard Diamond Princess and can confirm that you are indeed dropped off at the container port. The complimentary shuttle took us 2 hours due to the heavy traffic but just 40 minutes to return with no charge.

You are dropped off at the Silk Market (and I cannot remember the name) and can take taxis from there to where you want to go or I guess even local buses.

Shanghai is currently under mass reconstruction so places like the Bund are not going to be seen at their best.

As we have been to Shanghai before we had a personal tour guide and travelled around Shanghai on a motorbike and sidecar and it was the best ever. Our French guide spoke perfect Chinese and took us to places that a tourist would not normally see.

Do enjoy Shanghai.

We will be staying in Shanghai two days after our cruise and will be wanting to do some tours with a private guide. Do you have contact info for the personal tour guide you used? Also do you have any recommendations on a hotel?

Thanks for any info you have.

jcarlese

Yes of course. His email is: thomas_chambrieres@hotmail.com between thomas and chambrieres there is a _ for some reason it is not registering. His company is Shanghai Sideways and if you email me on fletch850@aol.com and use the title shanghai sideways I will send you a photograph should you wish to see the motorbike and sidecar before booking.

Whilst we have infact been to Shanghai twice,they have both been on cruises so have not used a hotel. I would imagine that Thomas would recommend somewhere spectacular for you and at the right price.

Good luck and do enjoy Shanghai.

Best wishes. Carol.

We will be staying in Shanghai two days after our cruise and will be wanting to do some tours with a private guide. Do you have contact info for the personal tour guide you used? Also do you have any recommendations on a hotel?

Thanks for any info you have.

jcarlese

From what I understand Legend docks at the new Shanghai International Terminal which is right on the Bund. See attached picture.

That's a great picture. Can't believe we'll be there in 8 days:D

Archived