Ahhhhhhh.....help.....please!!!!

We need to get from Livorno to the prada outlet & The Mall outlet...

Ship tour only goes to The Mall.

Local tours from Florence goes to both places but starts at 1:15 pm and ends at 8:00 pm, which means we'll miss our boat.

Private car from Florence costs 550 EUR, from Livorno costs 800.00 EUR - what?

Public transit looks really complicated and I don't even know if it's available from one outlet to the other.

Are there any other options? Would hiring a taxi at port be cheaper? Rent a car? How difficult is it to drive from Livorno to these places?

Much appreciated.

There is not easy public transportation that will get you to either. Anything will require changes from one mode of transportation to another. Driving, unless you are very familiar with driving in Italy, is not an option.

Why do you want to go there? Great bargains? I don't think so. Made in China knock-offs. Most probably so.

We went to the Mall when we were in Florence 2 years ago. I had read amazing things about it and was expecting long lines, great bargains and 100euro dresses and shoes. We caught the Sita bus in Florence (3euro per person each way). The Mall was NOT crowded at all. I was the only person in many of the stores even when we left at 12.30. I guess the ships weren't sending tours there yet. The bargains were OK but I didn't find any 100euro dresses. Did manage to get a pair of Armani shoes for a decent price. DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE EXCHANGE. RIGHT NOW IT IS $1.66 CDN FOR EVERY EURO. IT ADDS UP REALLY FAST!! When I bought the shoes it was $1.40 CDN and that kept the price to where it was a bargain. As much as I loved the Valentino shoes, with the exchange they weren't really that well priced. All the train schedules from Livorno will have you changing trains in Florence for both The Mall and the Prada outlet. From what I have read about Prada, the best stuff is gone within the first couple of hours of the day. I'm doing a cruise that docks in Livorno later this year as well and I can't wait to get back to Florence to shop. The markets there are wonderful. We found a great market (not the one with the brass pig) and the leathers were stunning. They won't have designer names but many of them are styled almost exactly like the designers latest designs. I bought a gorgeous leather jacket with fox collar at a price I couldn't even come near in Canada even after the exchange. Every time I wear it, someone asks me where I bought it. And you can deal with these guys. Even my husband had fun. All of top designers have shops in Florence and there are tons of shoe stores where you can get beautiful leather shoes for a lot less than the designer labels.(I brought home 3 pairs. Would have bought more but Florence wasn't our last stop and I didn't want to have to get another suitcase and drag it around as well). If you've been to Florence before, do the outlets. If you haven't, do the markets and see the sights. It is a beautiful city.

leo22 & shoediva, my daughter & I would also like to enjoy a little shopping, so I get your dilemma, I am seriously considering the train from Livorno into Florence, which I am hoping is cheaper than a private tour & faster to center city.

I want to shop in the small shops around the square, the leather will be fabulous there, but am interested in where the "outlets" may be located. Do you have other information about the location?

There is not easy public transportation that will get you to either. Anything will require changes from one mode of transportation to another. Driving, unless you are very familiar with driving in Italy, is not an option.

Why do you want to go there? Great bargains? I don't think so. Made in China knock-offs. Most probably so.

Are you talking about Prada and The Mall being knock-offs? not even close! and there are fantastic deals if you're still willing to pay 300 - 400 Euro for a purse that would be over $1,000 in North America. You're rarely going to get something for under a couple of hundred euro. My husband bought me a fabulous Gucci Carry on for around 300 Euro that I've never seen in North America.

leo22 & shoediva, my daughter & I would also like to enjoy a little shopping, so I get your dilemma, I am seriously considering the train from Livorno into Florence, which I am hoping is cheaper than a private tour & faster to center city.

I want to shop in the small shops around the square, the leather will be fabulous there, but am interested in where the "outlets" may be located. Do you have other information about the location?

The outlets are at least 30 minutes south of Florence. I don't think public transportation would be an option.

The outlets are an hour outside of Florence by bus. Unless you have a lot of port time you may end up spending more time travelling than shopping. The train into Florence from Livorno is less than 10 euros per person each way. We'll be taking the train in as well and I plan on using the money I save doing that shopping. The market I liked the best was located near the train station. Can't remember the name of the street but I think it was ****onale. When you leave the train station, you will see a McDonalds on the corner across the street. Take the underground walkway to cross the street and head up the street that the McDonalds corners away from the train station. The market is a couple of blocks up on the right. It goes for blocks and all of the stalls have stores in behind them full of more leather goods. It has everything from 5euro silk ties, "inspired by" handbags (ie: knockoffs very good quality, they don't fall apart) to well made, high quality leather clothing and accessories. Everything in Florence is pretty much walking distance. We never took a cab while we were there. High end designer stores were near the main square more in the direction of the pont vecchio. Lots of more reasonably priced stores en route from one place to the other. The Duomo is a must see as well. So pretty it almost doesn't look real. Have fun. I can't wait to go back in October.

I was not impressed with the mall..I found most of the"bargains" were from seasons past..like Christmas past. If you go to the med in July you will have better luck at the Salde in all the stores.With the dollar looking a bit better, I hope that I will find some bargains this year.

I was thinking of renting a car from Livorno and drive ourselves to the outlets.....but......we don't speak any Italian and if we get lost we're toast! Would a GPS or a good Map be enough? I heard the outlets are not exactly easy to find on your own.

I was thinking of renting a car from Livorno and drive ourselves to the outlets.....but......we don't speak any Italian and if we get lost we're toast! Would a GPS or a good Map be enough? I heard the outlets are not exactly easy to find on your own.

I don't think the drive would be that hard. We found the Mall very easily, Prada was very hidden and of course it's not even called Prada but hubby how is lousy at Italian just stopped at a gas station and Prada is Prada in any language :) GPS would be very good if available, if not a map. Let me do some digging and see if I can find the detailed instructions that we had. I know Slowtrav.com had instructions.

Archived