Time question

sprender

According to my paperwork, the Star arrives in Puerto Vallarta at 8:00 a.m. I would think it would be like planes showing the landing time as local time but not sure? Does anyone know if that is local time or is it 10:00 a.m. Puerto Vallarta time?

According to my paperwork, the Star arrives in Puerto Vallarta at 8:00 a.m. I would think it would be like planes showing the landing time as local time but not sure? Does anyone know if that is local time or is it 10:00 a.m. Puerto Vallarta time?

All times quoted in NCL documents are local time.

It would be 8:00 a.m. Puerto Vallarta time...but don't think that means you can step off the ship at 8:01!! They may be a little late..or early (although ships are much better at being on time than planes!).. and there is docking time, ship paperwork to fill out (by the ship captain, not passengers!), customs documents, etc...

so the earliest you'd likely be able to get off is around 9 a.m....probably later.

All times quoted in NCL documents are local time.

Except for the ones that aren't in local time.

This isn't a joke, and I'm not being a wise guy, but I know of at least one port, St. John, New Brunswick, in which at least two cruise lines, NCL and Carnival, have in the past not switched to local time.

That's not to say it will happen in Puerto Vallarta or any other port, but to automatically assume the ship will always be on local time is incorrect.

Except for the ones that aren't in local time.

This isn't a joke, and I'm not being a wise guy, but I know of at least one port, St. John, New Brunswick, in which at least two cruise lines, NCL and Carnival, have in the past not switched to local time.

That's not to say it will happen in Puerto Vallarta or any other port, but to automatically assume the ship will always be on local time is incorrect.

I have not experenced that. :eek:

NCL has always set the ship time to local time for every port we have visited. Including St Johns Newfoundland which is 1/2 hour off. It was quite suprising to have a note saying "Remember to set your time Back (or was it ahead?) 30 minutes". Also every arrival time on all of my documents has always been stated in local time.

I suppose what you say could be true, howerver it has not been my experience.

I guess when in doubt ask the front desk on the ship to be sure.

I suppose what you say could be true, howerver it has not been my experience.

There's no supposition to it. I'm not in the business of making things up. We discussed it on another thread a couple of weeks ago. My experience with Carnival was confirmed by another poster's experience with NCL.

There's no supposition to it. I'm not in the business of making things up. We discussed it on another thread a couple of weeks ago. My experience with Carnival was confirmed by another poster's experience with NCL.

There is no reason to be snarky. We are all here to discuss what we have experienced.

In MY experience all time have been stated in local time on NCL. I would be glad for you to cite the specific occasion where your experience on NCL has differed. I am not concerned with what may have happened on Carnival as this would not help the OP's question about NCL. I have been a member of this board for many years and this is the first time I have heard of this occurring.

There is no reason to be snarky. We are all here to discuss what we have experienced.

In MY experience all time have been stated in local time on NCL. I would be glad for you to cite the specific occasion where your experience on NCL has differed. I am not concerned with what may have happened on Carnival as this would not help the OP's question about NCL. I have been a member of this board for many years and this is the first time I have heard of this occurring.

As I said, my experience on Carnival was confirmed by another poster's experience for the same port on NCL.

Feel free to do a search for the thread. It was sometime in the last couple of weeks.

While I agree it's very unusual, it did happen. Just because you haven't personally run across it doesn't mean it's not true.

I don't make a practice of making things up just to be provocative.

My point is never to assume something is true, because there can be the occasional exception.

As I said, my experience on Carnival was confirmed by another poster's experience for the same port on NCL.

Feel free to do a search for the thread. It was sometime in the last couple of weeks.

While I agree it's very unusual, it did happen. Just because you haven't personally run across it doesn't mean it's not true.

I don't make a practice of making things up just to be provocative.

My point is never to assume something is true, because there can be the occasional exception.

So you have no personal experience with this occurring on NCL?

If this is the case then I cannot see how your comments have helped answer the OP's question.

So you have no personal experience with this occurring on NCL?

If this is the case then I cannot see how your comments have helped answer the OP's question.

Excuse me, but how many times do I have to say that my personal experience with Carnival was confirmed by another poster's personal experience with NCL for the same port.

THE POINT IS THAT YOU CAN'T ASSUME SOMETHING TO BE TRUE IN ALL CASES JUST BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN THAT WAY IN YOUR OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

I've never been bitten by a poisonous snake, but that doesn't mean there aren't poisonous snakes.

Remember what they say about the word "assume".

Now, if you can tell me you have personally reviewed every NCL itinerary ever sailed, and further are personally familiar with every itinerary they have planned for the future, I will bow to your universally superior expertise.

I don't want to add any fuel to this already flaming fire but when we were in PV on Star this past Thanksgiving, ships time differed by one hour from local PV time. Forgive me for forgetting in which direction but if you go check out the Mex Rivera Ports Board, you will find lots of discussion on this.

I don't want to add any fuel to this already flaming fire but when we were in PV on Star this past Thanksgiving, ships time differed by one hour from local PV time. Forgive me for forgetting in which direction but if you go check out the Mex Rivera Ports Board, you will find lots of discussion on this.

The last thing you're doing is adding fuel to the fire. Hopefully it will put the fire out once and for all.

Yes, this is my first post, but the replies here have caused me to post my first post after 6 years of being a CC member.

At the advise of the post above, I went to the Mexican Rivera board and I am not sure that everyone here is talking apples & oranges. Basically, the OP asked if their paperwork was ship time or local time. The posts that I have found seam to concur that the ship will arrive at the time indicated on the 'paperwork' and that should be local time, however that may or may not match 'ships time'.

The first 3 answers above said that it would be local time. The next post seams to muddy the water by contradicting that and saying that the ship doesn't always change to local time. That may be and indeed, for the West Coast cruises seams to be the norm, but that doesn't have anything to do with the published arrival time, which again, seems to match local time.

The Captain aboard the ship determines what the "ship's time" is.

Just about in every instance, during the winter cruise season, the Captain will change the "ship's time" the night the ship crosses a time zone. He's only going to do so once a night, and then only for one hour. If the ship crosses two time zones in one night anytime during a cruise, the Captain most likely will not adjust the "ship's time" by two hours overnight.

The Mexician Riveria cruise leaves Los Angeles in Pacific Time, and eventually sails to Central Time. There's often a two time zone change on one night. Which is why "ship's time" doesn't always matches "local time".

During the summer cruise season, Daylight Savings can cause a two time zone difference on one night, because Florida follows Daylight Savings, but not every Caribbean port does. It gets more confusing during the summer months.

Always keep your watches on "ship's time" when sailing on a cruise ship. Watch the Freestyle Dailies closely for time changes. Don't assume "local time" is the same time aboard the ship!

It must vary then as we sailed the Dawn when last September to Canada/New England which included a stop in St. John NB and we changed to local time.

CG

On the Star Feb-March 2009, in Puerto Vallarta ships time was different that local time, you got a reminder of that. I believe ship time was one hour behind local time, so you needed to be back onboard according to ship time. There will be plenty of notice given to time changes. All tour people know when the ships get in and ready for passengers to disembark.

On the Star Feb-March 2009, in Puerto Vallarta ships time was different that local time, you got a reminder of that. I believe ship time was one hour behind local time, so you needed to be back onboard according to ship time. There will be plenty of notice given to time changes. All tour people know when the ships get in and ready for passengers to disembark.

An excellent example of the one hour change vs a two hour change. Here's the Star's itinerary:

Sat Apr 11 Los Angeles, CA (Pacific)

Sun Apr 12 At Sea

Time Zone Change

Mon Apr 13 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico (Mountain)

Tue Apr 14 Mazatlan, Mexico (Mountain)

Time Zone Change

Wed Apr 15 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (Central)

Time Zone Change

Thu Apr 16 At Sea

Time Zone Change

Fri Apr 17 At Sea

Sat Apr 18 Los Angeles, CA Pacific

By not changing to Central Time Zone for Puerto Vallarta, the Captain avoids two time zone changes during the week's cruise.

By the way, all the ports for this itinerary follow Daylight Savings Time.

As I wrote before, the final decision rests with the Captain.

But if there is only one time zone change, its most likely to happen. They do like to be on local time, but too many time zone changes does make a difference with the ship's crew. Its one thing for us passengers to do two time zone changes during one week, its another for the ship's crew to do it week in and week out. So don't always count on local time.

Transcontinental airline attendants must have a constant sense of jet lag zipping through several time zones every day they are working. I don't know how they do it.

The cruise director, (he did this on the Star for our Mex Rev cruise last month), will tell you about "Ship Time" and "Local Time". NCL will use the Ship Time, which is not changed. So refer to the Ship Time while in port.

The cruise director, (he did this on the Star for our Mex Rev cruise last month), will tell you about "Ship Time" and "Local Time". NCL will use the Ship Time, which is not changed. So refer to the Ship Time while in port.

Um just did the Star myself in December and the SHIP TIME changes to local time and you are instructed to adjust your clocks accordingly in the Freestyle daily.

I really can't see why that would have changed between December and March and it is the way NCL has always operated.

Yes, this is my first post, but the replies here have caused me to post my first post after 6 years of being a CC member.

At the advise of the post above, I went to the Mexican Rivera board and I am not sure that everyone here is talking apples & oranges. Basically, the OP asked if their paperwork was ship time or local time. The posts that I have found seam to concur that the ship will arrive at the time indicated on the 'paperwork' and that should be local time, however that may or may not match 'ships time'.

The first 3 answers above said that it would be local time. The next post seams to muddy the water by contradicting that and saying that the ship doesn't always change to local time. That may be and indeed, for the West Coast cruises seams to be the norm, but that doesn't have anything to do with the published arrival time, which again, seems to match local time.

I can't speak from NCL experience but on our recent RCI cruise on Navigator of the Seas which occurred right after the US changed to Daylight Savings Time but before it happened in the Caribbean, our documents showed us arriving in Cozumel at 8:00 am, which we did - according to ship's time. In Cozumel, the local time, when we arrived was 6:00 am. So don't automatically assume that the times shown in cruise documents represents local time. That may be the case with airline schedules but not cruise ships.:rolleyes: Sometimes the times onboard (especially on transatlantics) do change to conform to local time, other times they don't. If you are booking a local tour, the tour operators will know the appropriate times to schedule your tour.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Mexican Rivera. We changed time one hour forward the first night and back again on the 5th night. The time in Puerto Vallarta was one hour ahead of the ship's time and this was not in any freestyle daily. A check call to the front desk informed me.

Archived