Strange info from a Vancouver Hotel

In my never ending quest to get a better hotel deal for our June pre-cruise stay in Vancouver, I just spoke to a hotel who told me the following. "We are booked for that night, it is the beginning of blah, blah, blah" I mentioned "and the cruise season..." Her response: "I just heard on the news that the cruise lines are pulling out of Vancouver and will be sailing out of Seattle only" Me: "Huh? I believe that some of the cruiselines were cutting back in 2010, but..." Her: " Well, you better check with your cruiseline because that is not what I heard" Now, I am pretty sure that the lady, while polite, was misinformed. Anyone heard anything about this?

Somehow I think it would be all over these boards if any such thing was even being considered.

Obviously the person you spoke with only listened to part of the news that has been happening over the past couple of months. Yes, some of the cruiselines will be pulling some of their ships out of Vancouver and relocating them either to Seattle or elsewhere. However, this will not be happening in the 2009 cruising season. The news reported it would be in 2010.

Sutton Place hotel www.suttonplace.com is having a 48hrs sale. ( expires Apr 08, 2009 )

Rooms start at $ 159 per night + taxes for stays up to Jun 30, 2009.

Cruisingly Yours

Same Sutton Place also has a decent Senior 2-nite rate of $202 CDN, cancelable up to the day before (use PROMO SEN60).

Also spoke at length with the reservations manager at Pan Pacific who was willing to forgo the non-refundable deposit on the internet specials, which were in the low $200 CDN.

ken

That was a most unfortunate remark from an employee who should get up to date. Yes in 2010 a few ships are being re-deployed to Seattle or to other markets and/or other itineraries entirely. However for the 2009 Alsaka cruise season it is business as usual.

It's funny when folks only hear parts of conversations...a number of my friends and coworkers who do no cruise, but know that I do, have made that same comment to me - asking if my cruise will be affected and letting me know that there will be no more cruises out of Vancouver. I explain that this is in 2010 and is only some ships and some lines....guess it must be a common mistake!

I'm just glad I'm cruising this year because I can't wait to see Vancouver!!! :D

Yep' date=' people just hear what they want to hear and tune out the rest :rolleyes:.[/quote']

And we are very happy to have you visit our beautiful city.:)

I'm loving all this great info on Vancouver hotel discounted rates. I'm still exploring options for my late May 2-night stay prior to my first Alaska cruise so this is valuable information.

And, I want to also say that I am so looking forward to spending a day in Vancouver before I depart. It's a city that's been on my bucket list for a long time. I can't imagine a better beginning to my fabulous venture to State #49 than exploring the beauty of Vancouver.

Diane

Ok folks now for the highlight of your entire cruise, about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate bridge look off to starboard and you just may see me by my grill with a coaktail in hand raised to your most wonderful vacation. Sometimes I have even been known to dip the flag as you pass by my front door but the RCMP have told me that I have to stop giving the "full Monty"...there have been complaints by people on cruise ship who have binoculars.;)

but the RCMP have told me that I have to stop giving the "full Monty"...there have been complaints by people on cruise ship who have binoculars.;)
:DLOL

I'll be out on the starboard side with drink in hand to toast back, but I guess "clinking" might be out of the questions?! (I'll leave the binos in the cabin. ;)

Also spoke at length with the reservations manager at Pan Pacific who was willing to forgo the non-refundable deposit on the internet specials, which were in the low $200 CDN.

ken

What rate code are you using to find those rates? I don't see them on the website for our September 15 stay. We already have a room, but if we can lower the price, that'd be great!

I'm guessing that some of the ships will be relocated for 2010 due to the Olympics maybe?

"I'm guessing that some of the ships will be relocated for 2010 due to the Olympics maybe"

The regular cruise season is from late April to early October so the Olympics won't affect the cruise ships - there is one ship that has been chartered - the Norwegian Star - for the Olympics - it was be berthing at an industrial dock across the harbour from downtown but close to the rail line to Whistler.

Cheers

Dennis

Ok folks now for the highlight of your entire cruise, about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate bridge look off to starboard and you just may see me by my grill with a coaktail in hand raised to your most wonderful vacation. Sometimes I have even been known to dip the flag as you pass by my front door but the RCMP have told me that I have to stop giving the "full Monty"...there have been complaints by people on cruise ship who have binoculars.;)

LOL !! I guess using that super zoom function on my new camera won't be capturing an XXX moment. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Sutton Place hotel www.suttonplace.com is having a 48hrs sale. ( expires Apr 08, 2009 )

Rooms start at $ 159 per night + taxes for stays up to Jun 30, 2009.

Cruisingly Yours

We missed this sale because it took us too long to decide where we wanted to stay. If you hear of this sale or a similiar promotion happening again, let us know, I think we have our heart set on staying at Sutton Place. Thanks :)

Archived