You truly will not believe this!!!!

labrador2

I had a 7 night inside passage on the Star booked for 8/09 Just happeed to be online on Friday night to see if the price went down. When I typed in my category my own cabin popped up! I called cut. relations and they said that when I chnged my itinerary I did not give them the $36 increase so they cancelled my booking. I had no knowledge that I needed to add more of a deposit. The reservation agent from Princess that I spoke to did not ask me to add more of a deposit when I switched cruises and they did not send me a cancellation confirmation that apparently they are required to do. So I moaned and groaned and the best they could offer me was a complimentary bottle of wine. I explained the problems that could have occured if I had not happened to check on line....i.e. non-refundable airfare, no available cabins in my caegory of choice, family planning on joining us on this cruise, etc. no budging....still just the bottle of wine. I can not believe that in this economy with travel the way that it is..they would not do anything more for customer that has cruised with Princess a few times since 1989. I cancelled and am going with Celebrity!!!

Since there was no harm done and you were able to get your cabin bck, what is the beef? I am thinking you saw this as a chance to get something for nothing.

True it shouldn't have happened but your cabin was still available and you could have had it. It is well known here that you should keep an eye on your cabin and you did. Did Princess goof up, you said you booked through them...yes, but you didn't lose anything by it since you caught it in time.

I had a 7 night inside passage on the Star booked for 8/09 Just happeed to be online on Friday night to see if the price went down. When I typed in my category my own cabin popped up! I called cut. relations and they said that when I chnged my itinerary I did not give them the $36 increase so they cancelled my booking. I had no knowledge that I needed to add more of a deposit. The reservation agent from Princess that I spoke to did not ask me to add more of a deposit when I switched cruises and they did not send me a cancellation confirmation that apparently they are required to do. So I moaned and groaned and the best they could offer me was a complimentary bottle of wine.I explained the problems that could have occured if I had not happened to check on line....i.e. non-refundable airfare, no available cabins in my caegory of choice, family planning on joining us on this cruise, etc. no budging....still just the bottle of wine. I can not believe that in this economy with travel the way that it is..they would not do anything more for customer that has cruised with Princess a few times since 1989. I cancelled and am going with Celebrity!!!

None of this happened, correct? I could see some kind of compensation for actual lost or making sure that you rebook the cabin at the original fare. Mistakes do happen but in this economy they are hurting as well.

I am NOT a defender or Chairleader of Princess. Please do not view my post as an attack. Good luck on your cruise with Celebrity.

Labrador is, I believe, a new poster to CC, so I hope everyone will be nice enough to cut him some slack. But Lab, please let us know the rationale for your post. As already said, there is no question that Princess goofed, but did it cause any harm to your plans (over and above some minutes of panic)? If not, why is the bottle of wine not a reasonable gesture? In fact, why wouldn't just an apology be okay? Or did you incur some sort of additional fees?

Bill

I understand what you are saying but the potential for disaster was great and what if I didn't go back and check. Believe me I am not a complainer. We cruise every year and I have never had a problem anywhere. But when I think of what would have happened if I had not checked that day....non refundable airfare, loss of cabin category, inability to book similiar cabin on another ship because of lateness in the game. I was very upset that Princess would be so casual about the whole thing when they were at fault.

I also need to add that I am very grateful for the information that I am learning here however, when I booked with Princess they never told me that there was a potential that they could give away my cabin so I should keep an eye on it. Since when is it my responsibility to make sure that a company I am buying something from and paying good money for doesn't screw up? I've never had to do this before with Princess and never had to do it with Royal. It makes you nervous about what else will happen on this cruise if that's how they are doing business.

I think your missing the point of what everyone is trying to say.

You keep saying "what might have happened if you didn't check that day", but you did check and with just a phone call, were able to take care of the problem, and receive a bottle of wine for the inconvience of a simple phone call.

I think if you didn't check and there became a problem then you would have been entitled to some more compensation.

Did you ever go to the Princess cruise personalizer and look around? I go there a lot to find out how many more days till my cruise and send in my preferences like robes and fruit and such....

I think they should have at least admitted that they had made a mistake and offered you an apology for making a "HUGE" mistake. Maybe that was the wine offering, but I can only imagine how upset you were.

This would have scared me to death too.

Glad you found another cruise that suited your air schedule and thanks for letting us know.

I think I'll go type in my cabin number just to make sure it doesn't come up. :D

Hey, wait a minute. He admitted he changed his itinerary! If he did change it and the price was different and he didn't ante up......I guess the cabin was cancelled.

If I have this right, he should send a bottle of wine to Princes thanking them for not cancelling the cabin instead of trying to blame them.

Good luck to Celebrity or where ever he is going.

Labrador: Sorry, you had such an "almost horrible event" happen. You're a very good and careful shopper. I think that Princess had an "oops" moment, which is why you were offered the wine. However, you caught the problem and had the opportunity to stay in the same cabin, onboard the same ship. No harm, no foul!

It really could have happened anywhere, anytime....and, has!

Have a wonderful cruise, no matter which line you choose!

Hey, wait a minute. He admitted he changed his itinerary! If he did change it and the price was different and he didn't ante up......I guess the cabin was cancelled.

If I have this right, he should send a bottle of wine to Princes thanking them for not cancelling the cabin instead of trying to blame them.

Good luck to Celebrity or where ever he is going.

Hi Grego,

Wow, who knew there was so much hostility here! For your info.....the difference in deposit was $36 which I would have gladly paid had I known about it. Their own customer relations rep did not tell me that I had any more deposit owed. And they did not send a cancellation confirmation as they should. Here's hoping you never get surprised like this!

Did you ever go to the Princess cruise personalizer and look around? I go there a lot to find out how many more days till my cruise and send in my preferences like robes and fruit and such....

I think they should have at least admitted that they had made a mistake and offered you an apology for making a "HUGE" mistake. Maybe that was the wine offering, but I can only imagine how upset you were.

This would have scared me to death too.

Glad you found another cruise that suited your air schedule and thanks for letting us know.

I think I'll go type in my cabin number just to make sure it doesn't come up. :D

Thanks for your reasonable reply! Yes, I did go to the personalizer and they still had my booking listed even though Princess had cancelled it. This whole thing has taught me a huge lesson.....one that I'm not exactly happy with though. I really didn't think that I had to keep such a close eye on things!

Hi Grego,

Wow, who knew there was so much hostility here! For your info.....the difference in deposit was $36 which I would have gladly paid had I known about it. Their own customer relations rep did not tell me that I had any more deposit owed. And they did not send a cancellation confirmation as they should. Here's hoping you never get surprised like this!

Like I said, I hope you don't get another surprise on another cruise line.

Don't understand why you just did not have Princess rebook you in the same cabin and enjoy your wine. :)

Lab, my thinking here if that happened to me would be more to say hey "princess- Maybe for future guest you should send out cancellation notices and let them know before you just cancel on them. If i had $250 down and was cancelled without knowledge for $36 i would be upset. Am i wrong in thinking this? However I do not believe you should of been given anything more than a bottle of wine because luckily you did catch the mistake and got your room back. Forget this mistake and have a good time. I just got off the Crown yesterday and just wish i was back on her!!

Lab, my thinking here if that happened to me would be more to say hey "princess- Maybe for future guest you should send out cancellation notices and let them know before you just cancel on them. If i had $250 down and was cancelled without knowledge for $36 i would be upset. Am i wrong in thinking this? However I do not believe you should of been given anything more than a bottle of wine because luckily you did catch the mistake and got your room back. Forget this mistake and have a good time. I just got off the Crown yesterday and just wish i was back on her!!

I appreciate your thoughts. The deposit was actually for $660 and they cancelled for not receiving the $36.

So I am confused. Did you get the deposit back since you didnt pay the extra 36 dollars? If they cancel your cruise, you should have received a refund for the deposit. And if you got the deposit back, didnt that tip you off that something was wrong?

Archived