Anyone have success flying the same day as sailing?

jax430

On our last sailing this past March on the Valor two people in our group almost missed the ship flying in on the same day to Miami from Chicago. It was direct flight leaving at 7 am but the flight was an late getting to Chicago (the weather was perfect). Then they boarded but there was a mechanical problem and they had to get back off the plane while they tried to repair it. Long story short they boarded the ship just in time to go to the life boat drill.

If you can change the flight and fly in the day before, do it. If that isn't possible, you will probably be ok with that flight.

We did make it ok flying in the same day on our first cruise. It was a short flight, and we were scheduled to get into LAX around noon. Our flight was delayed because of fog in L.A. causing planes not to be able to land.

At one point, our pilot came on (while we were awaiting clearance to takeoff) and told us that if we couldn't take off in the next 10 minutes, it would be a 1-2 hour delay. I was in a panic, thinking we would never make it to the ship on time if that happened. Luckily, we got to takeoff about 5 minutes later and we did make it.

I learned my lesson, though, and I will NEVER fly in the same day again.

Best of luck to you. :)

I have had success in feeling stressed out about missing the ship. I have had success in being tired the first day from getting up at 5 am to make the flight.

I only did a same day flight once, but it was such a bad experience I will not do it again. Not worth the angst.

That being said, flying in same-day is pretty common. Give yourself plenty of time and you should be fine.

Let me just preface this by saying that I thoroughly researched our cruise before choosing. I even had an Excel spreadsheet! I read cruise critic reviews, but I did not visit the boards.

Since booking the cruise and reading the boards, I have realized that maybe we shouldn't have planned on flying down to Pt. Canaveral the same day as our sailing. Our flight is scheduled to land at 11:15 and the ship sails at 4:00 pm. I've gotten really nervous after reading so many posts about not sailing the same day, and DH just keeps telling me that we'll be fine. I'm the realist; he's the eternal optimist.

Someone please reassure me that you've had success flying down the same day! Thanks! :)

I see you are from NY. Well, flying from NY the day of, this time of year is likely ok. No snow storms to hold you up. Having said that, one hiccup and you miss at least your first day on the cruise. On our most recent cruise, people flying in were late dues to storms and because our first stop was Princess Cays followed by a sea day, they didn't get to the ship until Day 4 in St Maarten. They might as well have stayed home. You have to be ok with that.

I always put questions like this into perspective: Lets take your average 7 day cruise.

7 Day Cruise two thousand dollars

Flights - $500-600 dollars.

Incidentals (taxi, lunch etc) and spending money on the ship - $1000.

Total Cost of vacation:Somewhere between 3000 and 4000 dollars

Standing at the pier wondering where your ship is because you didn't want to spend another $150 for a hotel? Priceless.

Makes no sense to me.

Direct flight leaving JFK at 8:15, arriving at MCO at 11:15, so very large airport with many flights.

Ugh...it's amazing with all my research that I didn't consider this. The two previous cruises that I was on that required flying, I was a teenager with my parents, so I wasn't in charge of planning!

I work for an airline in its largest hub city....the airline I work for also has an extensive amount of flights to the NY Metro area (specifically JFK). Being a manager who covers our weekend shifts, I see people just about every weekend who either miss their cruise or are in danger of missing their cruise. While having a direct flight gives you a greater chance of arriving in time for your cruise, I still would not take the chance. Esp. flying in from JFK. Air Traffic Control delays, while more rampant in the afternoons, can happen at any time and can cause hours long delays. Summer storms or fog can definitely be an issue as can any type of mechanical delay or cancellation. With the airlines cutting back their flight schedules, there are not as many options to get you there in time in the event of a delay or cancellation. For example, the airline I work for only has 4 flight banks on Saturdays. This means that there are waves of flights at around 8 AM, 12 PM, 4PM and 7PM. If you are on a flight on the 8 AM bank and it cancels, the next opportunity for you to get on another flight may not be until around noon.

If you take this chance and fly in the day of, I would be sure to research alternate flight options and know what other carriers might have flights that could still get you there in time. If an airline agent does not offer to put you on another flight/carrier, be persistent. Have the flight times and carrier info with you. Although understand, that they can only rebook you if there are seats available on the other carrier.

Misty

Until our last cruise, we had always flown or driven in the day of the sailing. We have never missed the ship, but have had a couple of nail biters. It got to the point where I would be so stressed out and tired from a day of traveling that I couldn't fully enjoy the first night of the cruise. We chose to start flying in the day before so that we wouldn't be so exhausted after getting on the ship, and could have a contingency plan in case something went wrong. We're close enough to rent a car and drive if we have to.

However, please don't get too nervous about your flight. As others have said, most people do not miss their cruises because of flight problems. Flying in early is not a possibility for everyone.

On my first cruise my mom planned and made all the arrangements - Carnival's air and transfer from the airport. We flew in the day of the cruise, from Michigan....in February! :o

We made it though, no problems. I think we were on the ship around 2. After I found cruisecritic, and found out you can be there earlier, we started flying in the day before. We just like knowing we'll be there on time and getting there way earlier -love the ship when it's empty.

Either way, it looks like (according to your ticker) you're cruising in August. You shouldn't have any snow storms to watch out for. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hello, I wanted to add a story to this thred. First, let me say we always fly in the day before and after what we saw on our last cruise, I'm glad we do. We flew out of Chicago to Miami, the flight was great we even arrived early. When we landed the sky was grey and nobody thought anything of it....untill we all went down to get our luggage. There was a delay..We all stood there looking at each other like "whats the hold up"? After an hour of the whole "It will only be 15 more minutes.. It's comming now, answers from the airline we finally got a straight answer. It's raining and we will not take luggage of the aircraft in the rain!:eek: It took 3 hours to get our luggage in the end :mad:. Many of the people on our flight were sailing RCCL that same day. They were very very unhappy! They had to leave their luggage and make a mad dash to try and catch the ship. They had to pay to have their luggage shipped to the next port of call... and the major "Oh' No" was when the first port of call was cancelled, so again they had to pay to ship the luggage to the second port. They had a sea day in between the 1st an 2nd ports!:confused: Trip insurance would have helped but going on 4 days w/o clothes?:(

I am no way an expert in this. I have only cruised 2 times before and we're going again in November.

The first time we cruised Princess and flew in to FLL the day of in mid-October. A hurricane was working it's way up the east coast but US Air altered the flight route and we made it with tons of time to spare. However, Princess did hold up the ship from a 7pm sailing to almost midnight because a lot of people didn't get there in time.

#2 we drove from Philly and left from NY.

In November we are again flying out of FLL and flying in the day of. The day before just wasn't an option. Hopefully hurricane season will be done or close to it. We have the first flight of the day out of Philly and are supposed to arrive in FLL by 10:30am. I am just as nervous as you are and like your DH mine keeps telling me not to worry. I am trying my best.

I'm going to tell you what I have been telling myself. I don't know if you have had kids but if you have, you'll know what I'm talking about. When you get pregnant, certain people will decide it's the best time to tell you about their 36 hour hard labor, the 15 pound baby and the feet that came out first when the vast majority of births go off without a hitch.

Our flights will go off without a hitch! Just keep telling yourself that. ;):D

Sometimes I will take a late flight the evening before the cruise and then spend the night in the airport and get an early cab from the airport the morning of the cruise and be one of the first in line. Usually take a shower first thing getting to the cabin.

Out of 16 cruises, we have flown in the day before only once. We will do again our next cruise because we are flying to LA -

We have never had a problem (not to say there is not a first time). Only once was our plane delayed (not an issue) - we take the first available flight in the morning. If your flight is early enough I would not stress over it.

I was told by an Air Tran rep once to always tell them if you are cruising so that they can get you where you are going in the event of a delay - don;t know how true that is -

Out of 16 cruises, we have flown in the day before only once. We will do again our next cruise because we are flying to LA -

We have never had a problem (not to say there is not a first time). Only once was our plane delayed (not an issue) - we take the first available flight in the morning. If your flight is early enough I would not stress over it.

I was told by an Air Tran rep once to always tell them if you are cruising so that they can get you where you are going in the event of a delay - don;t know how true that is -

I would say definitely the let the airline rep know that you are traveling to a cruise as you may get priority if there are limited reroute seats available. However, other passengers may be traveling to events they deem just as important as a cruise...weddings, funerals, business conference. It can be very hard to tell a passenger that their event is less important than another passengers'. Working in the airline customer service field AND being an avid cruiser, I am probably more sympathetic than most to the plight of stranded cruisers. I will do whatever I can to get someone to their cruise or worst case to the first port of call. But many times our alteratives are limited by either airline flight schedules or seat availability.

Another tip...make sure that you secure seat assignments when you book your flights and arrive at the airport early. In the event that your flight is overbooked, you usually won't be in danger of being bumped if you have an assigned seat and have checked in early. When most passengers are booked on a flight than there are seats available. Those without seats will be denied first. In the case of weight and balance situations or aircraft downsizes (substituting a smaller aircraft type), time of check in can also determine who gets to travel and who doesn't. The airline will always try to get volunteers to give up their seats, but that doesn't always happen.

Misty

So far so good on flying in the day of. We book a direct flight from Detroit and we take the Carnival transfers. There are always lots of cruisers on our flight and on the bus. Never had a problem.

Do you have Carnival transfers or are you driving a rental car? Private towncar?

Carnival transfers. I know NOW that that may not have been the best choice b/c they wait to fill up, but at least, as long as my flight arrives on time, I will feel safe knowing that I am with carnival and not missing the ship.

I always fly in the day before...it makes it easier on the nerves. I live in the midwest and 99% of the time have connecting flights and have had trouble with those connecting flights and one time had to stay over night somewhere due to mechanical delays! With that and delays, I will fly in the day before to avoid missing the ship...It just gives me that extra day/night to get over the jet lag and be ready for getting on the ship and starting the cruise raring to go!! :D

Last year we went in april and flew in day before to be safe, b/c we were travelling with 5 kids. We thought we were being smart but we didn't get into FLL airport until 11pm. Our fault b/c to save $$ we had flight with 2 connections. NEVER AGAIN! This time we will fly direct from Buffalo airport and plane is scheduled to arrive by 10:30am, we hope. Still travelling with 5 kids, so it will still be interesting. By the way, we live in Hamilton, Ontario, and we have SNOW!!!

I've always flown same day when flying direct to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. I've always flown same day during Spring, Summer and Fall. I would never fly same day to Orlando for Port Canaveral nor same day during the winter. I've done it twice and I'll never do it again. The stress of being on time and then the 45 minute to an hour ride from the airport to the pier is enough to ruin your first day of vacation.

Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are literally a 10 minute cab ride to the pier. Port Canaveral's distance from the airport is a sure dealbreaker for me. I would fly in the day before. You'll be glad you did.

Just did it last Friday for the first time in a very long while...it was only a 3 nite cruise so i figured i would live on the edge.. insured it and figured worst case spend the weekend in FLA..LOL.. but got in at 9:30 in orlando .. was on the ship eating lunch at 11:45... but on a longer cruise with more time and $$ invested I wouldnt chance it .. i have had too many crazy delays when traveling for work -- flight crew not showing up .. bathroom malfucntion too much stress...

I would say definitely the let the airline rep know that you are traveling to a cruise as you may get priority if there are limited reroute seats available. However, other passengers may be traveling to events they deem just as important as a cruise...weddings, funerals, business conference. It can be very hard to tell a passenger that their event is less important than another passengers'. Working in the airline customer service field AND being an avid cruiser, I am probably more sympathetic than most to the plight of stranded cruisers. I will do whatever I can to get someone to their cruise or worst case to the first port of call. But many times our alteratives are limited by either airline flight schedules or seat availability.

Another tip...make sure that you secure seat assignments when you book your flights and arrive at the airport early. In the event that your flight is overbooked, you usually won't be in danger of being bumped if you have an assigned seat and have checked in early. When most passengers are booked on a flight than there are seats available. Those without seats will be denied first. In the case of weight and balance situations or aircraft downsizes (substituting a smaller aircraft type), time of check in can also determine who gets to travel and who doesn't. The airline will always try to get volunteers to give up their seats, but that doesn't always happen.

Misty

I was once told by an agent that you are only guaranteed a seat once you have your boarding pass in hand. Now, you can print your own up to 24 hours ahead of time and go straight to the gate.

We are also flying in day of, first flight, non stop, arriving Miami at noon, in June. I am stressing a little but there's not a lot we can do, just hope for the best.

We've actually flown in the day of the cruise more times than not, and we're platinum cruisers. I won't say I've slept well the night before, though!! Unfortunately, sometimes our work schedules have made adding an extra day impossible, so we've taken our chances. We've always made it in plenty of time, choosing VERY early flights. But I do realize it can be risky. Good luck!

For my upcoming cruise on November 1st, I'll be taking the red-eye from California to Miami, which is scheduled to arrive at 10:30am. The ship leaves at 4pm, so I'm cutting it close, I know. I'll have my fingers crossed that should any problems arise with getting to MIA on time, the fact that this is the day the U.S. sets the clocks an hour back will buy me extra time, lol. ;)

Our ship sails at 4pm too but the gal on the phone warned us that the ships have to close the boarding gates at 2:30. Something to do with port authority? Anyway we decided to change flights and come in the day before. My sister was stranded in Des Moines in a blizzard a few years back and missed her cruise. :eek: She said thank God for insurance!

I flew in the day of sailing for my first two cruises but always had very early flights, (as close to 6:00AM as possible), as I'm coming from the northeast in October or November. Never had a problem but I consider that good luck. Friends of mine had a delay due to a winter storm and missed their cruise, since then I like to fly in the day before. It's less stressful and there's very little chance of not getting to the ship on time.

Archived