Key Italy/Croatian Options, Azamara vs. Oceania, Comparisons?

TLCOhio

We are debating about either Oceania versus Azamara for this summer. Timing is getting tight, but with the slowed economy, prices and options are available. I have read many of the very helpful posts on both board about each of these lines and that both have the former Renaissance types of ships. One routing option is the "Ionian Inspiration" cruise on Oceania for twelve days from Rome to Venice, hitting such places as Dubrovnick, Kotor, Corfu, Taormina, Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre, Portofino, etc. The "Best of Italy" with Azamara for fourteen days, would visit Sorrento, Taormina, Ravenna, Venice, Dubrovnik, Olbia/Sardinia, La Spezia/Cinque Terre, Pisa/Livorno, going out of and returning to Rome/Civitavecchia.

OUR HISTORY: Our only two previous cruises have been . . . 2006 on Seabourn for Greek Isles/Turkish Coast, Athens to Istanbul and last summer on Crystal for the Baltics and Russia. Loved both! Different sized ships, but both have excellent service, nice ships and staff, very good fellow passengers, etc. Three key areas of questions and comparison:

1. SHIP DIFFERENCES?: Due to my supposed snoring, we need two single rooms to make my wife happy and rested. The more basic Azamara and Oceania rooms being smaller, are, therefore, not a problem or concern. Food service seems to be very good on all four ship lines with Azamara and Oceania, like Crystal, having more specialized dining options than offered with Seabourn. Doing so many ports, this makes any limitations on Azamara and Oceania evening "entertainment" less of a concern or question. The country club casual is a nice plus with Azamara and Oceania. For the summer in the Med, my assumption is that on these four lines, the customer base/mix is going to be about the same for these rough comparison purposes. What am I missing or what should be compared and considered for such an analysis? Any other pro or con "surprises" that are being missed or not considered? From the various previous posts about Azamara and Oceania, the summary is that "the new kid on the block" is working harder to catch up and match its more established "sister/competitor". Has Azamara really caught up or is it still a “work in progress”?

2. THESE MED PORTS?: We have done many parts of Italy by land, including Rome, Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast. We really want to see Portofino, Cinque Terre, Sicily, Croatian Coast. Haven't done Pisa/Lucca or Ravenna. There's always more to see and explore around the Amalfi Coast, in Venice, etc. Are there any other factors to consider on this cruise and its many prime ports? From those of you who have done this cruise, does this timing in the ports work pretty well? What's your top favorites and absolutely loves that you would focused most for these cruise option on Oceania?

3. AZAMARA ADVANTAGES?: There would be with Azamara two sea days (none on Oceania), a lower average cost per day, three overnights in key/scenic cities, better night photo shoot options, a little more "net" port hours, refrigerators in rooms, lower Internet charges per minute. As I understand, the Azamara ships are more fully wireless. Is the "butler service" for the more basic rooms really that much of a difference or factor, if you use it correctly? How do you take the best advantage of this butler service as we don't do the upscale, higher-end types of rooms? Are the refrigerators with Azamara the ones that really cool or are they the lesser "induction" type of equipment? Is the Internet on Azamara the typical slower/average speed on a ship or is it super slow and painful? Does the wireless really work fairly well in the rooms and all over the ship?

Appreciate these comparisons, suggestions and feed-back. Or, are there any other “words of wisdom” for a first-timer considering Oceania versus Azamara in this great area of the world?

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

TLC...

Have you checked how many ships will be in ports with these itineraries????

Many are small and intimate..such as Portofino and Kotor, even Dubrovnik with 3 ships in at one time is a nightmare.

This would weigh heavily on my decision as I think it can directly impact my experience in each port.

I will say this we loved Kotor and Portofino...

Portofino...you must walk up to Castello Brown for the amazing harbor photos. This is the land of pesto and foccacia..take time to indulge

If you choose the itinerary with Kotor, try to get out to Perast for the Church on the Rocks in Boka Bay.

If you would like to see our Kotor pictures (along with Dubrovnik) we have them on our personal travel website...

follow the link below and go into Where we've been

I will spend more time analyzing the itineraries later today...I do love anything with an overnight as it allows for more immersion.

Ciao for now!

http://ourpassportstamps.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Terry: We are in the same boat. We did the Oceania "Pearls of the Riviera" last year and loved, loved, loved it. The itinerary and the ship was fabulous. We want to do another cruise this year and preferably with Oceania but they have such port intensive itineraries it leaves no time to relax and enjoy this wonderful ship. I too was looking at Azamara as they have a nice Italy itinerary with 3 sea days in May. I don't really know how they compare with Oceania if at all. But beware, for some reason Oceania is very addictive, once on it you can't seem to get enough! lol Hope Where2next has some insight for us both. Have a good weekend.

Hi Terry: We are in the same boat. We did the Oceania "Pearls of the Riviera" last year and loved, loved, loved it. The itinerary and the ship was fabulous. We want to do another cruise this year and preferably with Oceania but they have such port intensive itineraries it leaves no time to relax and enjoy this wonderful ship. I too was looking at Azamara as they have a nice Italy itinerary with 3 sea days in May. I don't really know how they compare with Oceania if at all. But beware, for some reason Oceania is very addictive, once on it you can't seem to get enough! lol Hope Where2next has some insight for us both. Have a good weekend.

Agree, great ships and wonderful ports can be "ADDICTIVE"! My wife just had some knee surgery and blood clotting complications. Need to figure that out before seeing what, if anything, will work for this summer. It's nice that both Oceania and Azamara have nice sizes and many excellent port options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We have been on Oceainia many times and love it..but we are on Azamara Best Of Italy August 9 and you cannot beat the price!! That will be our 4th trip on Azamara and believe me it is also a very addictive experience!!

Jancruz1

Thanks Jan:

How would you rate it against Oceania? I know the prices are better but how is the quality?

I like them both equaly BUT I go on a trip and know I am going to have a great time and overlook little things on both ships..I like some things better on Oceania and some things better on Azamara..you have to try A to decide yourself!!

Jancruz1

Archived