Alaskan Packing Anxiety

AdoptAtty

Thanks to all for clarifying many of my packing issues! I have only one silly question left! What about the days on ship? We are doing two weeks back to back so the days we don't go on shore I notice that some say to bring capri's ? and bathing suits (gather pool is heated) but do you wear turtleneck sweater and jeans on ship? :confused:

Yes I also suffer from APA> I'm a list maker and so far have changed it about 5 times.I was happy to see the snow and , high wind and rain hit us on Monday, gave me a chance to try different combinations of outer wear and have finally solved the jacket problem. I should be organized by the time I sail it's only 132 days away.

My cruise leaves in 3 1/2 months and I already have stuff on a clothing rack and my spare bed. I over-packed for my first cruise and am determined that I will NOT exceed my rolling duffel and my Timbuk2 bag (carry-on). Therefore, I am trying to be more efficient in packing/planning.

My problem is that I will need to purchase some new clothes by August. I started the first of the year as a 20w and now fit in most 16's (no W). who knows what size I'll be by August.

Off Topic - could somebody pm me and tell me how to get the CC countdown clock to appear? Thanks

Off Topic - could somebody pm me and tell me how to get the CC countdown clock to appear? Thanks

Well, I can tell you how to do a countdown clock, but can't figure out how to pm you. LOL I couldn't find an email address on your profile. Anyway, just go to the top of the cruise critic board and click on countdown clocks, fill in the information, click the button and copy and paste the link to your signature. Hopefully that will do it. :)

Congratulations on the weight loss!!!! That is quite an accomplishment. It is hard to plan on the clothes though.

My family of 4 (2 teenagers in tow) has been to Alaska 2 times in May and another coming up soon. Being from Florida I know what you mean about cold is different to us! There have been some good suggestions but I have a few other thoughts. Wind is a factor especially on deck, so we bring neck scarfs to bundle up more with around the neck and I use mine for hair and ear covers. Dont forget sunglasses especially if you fly to or walk on glaciers. Binoculars too. Gloves are a must and knit hats come in handy too. We ran into rain a couple of times and we had jackets that were good for rain and had hoods that we could pull up and just keep on walking, either that or carry rain ponchos. Having two pairs of good walking shoes in case of one getting wet is a good idea. P.S. I always take a soft, comfortable pair of flip flops for those tired feet at the end of the day! have fun

Well' date=' I can tell you how to do a countdown clock, but can't figure out how to pm you. LOL I couldn't find an email address on your profile. Anyway, just go to the top of the cruise critic board and click on countdown clocks, fill in the information, click the button and copy and paste the link to your signature. Hopefully that will do it. :)

Congratulations on the weight loss!!!! That is quite an accomplishment. It is hard to plan on the clothes though.[/quote']

Oops! Forgot to put that in.

Done the countdown clock thing 4 times before I gave up and went elsewhere. I could probably put it together in my sleep by now. Try it now at least once a week in the hopes that it will someday work. Shame, because I like that it counts down by days.

Thanks for the congrats. Didn't set out to lose the weight, it just happened. My New Years resolution was to participate in 5k's this year (having never completed the mandatory 1 mile run in school because I was in Adaptive P.E, this was a pretty big goal.) I walked in one with my company last year (we were one of the sponsors). And this year, I wanted to beat my time by at least 20 minutes. The first race out - bam! 11 1/2 minutes off of my time. (without any formal training.) I have two more before the cruise and one after. I also changed a lot of what I ate.

Packing for Alaska is a challenge for me and my DH thinks I am crazy that I started packing already. I just needed to figure out how to get each bag under 50. We are a family of 4 with two girls 11 & 9 and leaving the first week of June. We are spending 3 days in Seattle too.

I went to the Columbia Outlet near me last week and bought a 3 in 1 jacket for myself that retailed for $210 and got for $23. Bought the girls windbreakers and fleece which knowing them, they will never wear again but they were cheap. My DH has two fleece and I am sure he has a windbreaker somewhere.

I packed a duffel bag (weighs less than a suitcase) with all of this. I still need to buy the entire family hiking boots which I am going to put in the duffel. I might try to combine the kids clothes into one suitcase but with sweatshirts and jeans, it is going to be tough. Plus, they like to look cute and have a nice outfit each night.

I understand that NCL doesn't have a self-serve laundrymat so I guess I am going to have to send the clothes out.

It is so much easier packing for the Caribbean!

Oops! Forgot to put that in.

Done the countdown clock thing 4 times before I gave up and went elsewhere. I could probably put it together in my sleep by now. Try it now at least once a week in the hopes that it will someday work. Shame, because I like that it counts down by days.

Thanks for the congrats. Didn't set out to lose the weight, it just happened. My New Years resolution was to participate in 5k's this year (having never completed the mandatory 1 mile run in school because I was in Adaptive P.E, this was a pretty big goal.) I walked in one with my company last year (we were one of the sponsors). And this year, I wanted to beat my time by at least 20 minutes. The first race out - bam! 11 1/2 minutes off of my time. (without any formal training.) I have two more before the cruise and one after. I also changed a lot of what I ate.

I'm sorry you can't get it to work. Don't know what to tell you.

It sounds like you are on the right track with the life style changes!! I just wish I could get that exercise thing going. I hate it. I start and stop, start and stop. To run like you do :eek: Keep up the good work.

This is an awsome thread, great information everyone!

We travel mid June, so we'll do layers, fleece hooded jackets, hooded waterproof shell jackets.

If I were leaving May 2nd - I'd probably take down jackets as well. Down packs pretty well.

We have 3 boat trips and will be doing some hiking, so we invested in waterproof shoes. If I wasn't planning on so many outdoor excursions, -or- if we wouldn't be wearing out waterproof shoes for other activities back home, I wouldn't have purchased them. Although I got some on sale at Lands End, they are running weekly sales so keep an eye out for that. Their waterproof shoes are $49 and you can probably get either free shipping or 30% off if you pay attention. I'm getting emails daily from LLBean and Lands End about their sales, they are trying to out do each others sale prices and I'm seeing sales on things that never go on sale.

I am trying to avoid over packing. in fact one of the reasons we chose NCL was because we don't have to pack dressy clothes. Normally when I go to the Caribbean we pack lots of bathing suits and cover ups. I was planning to take only one bathing suit and no cover-up but my husband wants us to get a Spa package which means we will be spending most of our time taking in the views from an indoor pool/ lounge chair. Any idea as to how many bathing suits I will need. Will I need a cover-up?

I went to the Columbia Outlet near me last week and bought a 3 in 1 jacket for myself that retailed for $210 and got for $23. Bought the girls windbreakers and fleece which knowing them, they will never wear again but they were cheap.

It is so much easier packing for the Caribbean!

Howdy neighbor - I live in Plano and would love to find the Columbia outlet nearby...is it in the Allen Outlet Mall? I'm franticallly shopping for my first Alaska cruise next month and that 3 in 1 jacket would cross more items off my "to buy" list.

I completely understand about packing for the Caribbean. All my cruises have been there and it's a no-brainer for me to throw shorts, tee-shirts, capris, sundresses and swimsuits in a suitcase. All this layering stuff is new for me...we don't get that kind of weather in North Texas. ;)

Diane

We only bring one backpack and a small carry-on each . One bathing suit and cover up is all you need. Casual clothes that mix and match. Three outfits that can mix and match don't take up much room. One sweater, one basic turtleneck, jacket and you are good to go. I am bringing a very light rain jacket with a hood and a fleece.

Just remember that Alaska can get warm, our last visit in July it hit 70. The key word is lair. Get your clothes ready and leave home 50% of what you wanted to take and you will be fine.

Marion

Howdy neighbor - I live in Plano and would love to find the Columbia outlet nearby...is it in the Allen Outlet Mall? I'm franticallly shopping for my first Alaska cruise next month and that 3 in 1 jacket would cross more items off my "to buy" list.

I completely understand about packing for the Caribbean. All my cruises have been there and it's a no-brainer for me to throw shorts, tee-shirts, capris, sundresses and swimsuits in a suitcase. All this layering stuff is new for me...we don't get that kind of weather in North Texas. ;)

Diane

Definitely go to the Allen Outlet. They have lots of items and really inexpensive. They have hiking boots too but only one pair that is waterproof for women. Not sure if you're bringing kids but they had clothes for them too.

I still have shopping to do!

Our heavier & bulkier items are either hand carried like the jackets and then laptop, digital camcorder & Rx's etc. are either on a carry-on w. wheels or backpack since there's no weight limit on it (yet ....)

Actually, most airlines do have a weight limit for carry-ons; I believe it's generally 20 pounds, but I'm not certain. (I got stopped on this about 15 years ago on one flight.) However, in most cases, they won't actually weight the carry-on, so you're probably safe.

• 1 year later...
I suspect it's an old list. Many (most?) airlines charge for the second bag and almost as many charge for the first bag. I'm not sure the average passenger needs to pack a hair dryer. Most cruise ships have two formal nights, no reason to pack 3 dresses for formal nights. Do women really pack 4 different dresses for non-formal nights (Alaska cruises)?

It's definitely an old list, because you don't need semi formal nights. If you look at the men's list. It mentions 2 formal nights and 2 semi formal (sport coat nights). Unless you are traveling on P&O you don't need that.

Neil

Archived