Alaskan Packing Anxiety

AdoptAtty

OK, it's time for me to get it together and start packing for my family... we leave Vancouver on May 2nd for an inside passage tour, have a flightseeing tour with Island Wings and a whale watching boat trip (w/inside and heat) with Harv & Marv planned. Traveling with Grandpa, so I don't plan on any glacier hiking or anything like that. An important fact... we are Floridians, so I know cold to me is not cold to someone from the U.P. of Michigan or Canada!

I have the DH packed, one LARGE suitcase of almost 50 pounds. I'm thinking 50 pounds, am I crazy. But he really only has 1 pair dress shoes, sneakers he will have on, 2 pair dress pants, 2 pair of jeans and all the other stuff including some waterproof fleece and stuff to layer with and a light weight navy blazer for "dress night." Do you think this is too much, 50 # just sounds like a lot! I did not pack a winter coat for him (he was raised in Michigan so does a little better in the cold) and he does have some heavy waterproof fleece.

Also, shoes... if we aren't planning on glacier hikes or anything like that... are sneakers ok for all of us?

HELP :eek:

So they are saying we don't need a winter coat...:confused:

Everyone probably has their own preferences on this one.

I like to layer with synthetic/wicking-type undergarments, then a light sweater/T-shirt/sweatshirt (depending upon temperature), then a windbreaker/Goretex type overgarment. It's nice to be able to put on/take off as the day's weather dictates.

We're going in late June, and I don't think I'll bring a heavy coat, but that's just me.:)

I suspect it's an old list. Many (most?) airlines charge for the second bag and almost as many charge for the first bag. I'm not sure the average passenger needs to pack a hair dryer. Most cruise ships have two formal nights, no reason to pack 3 dresses for formal nights. Do women really pack 4 different dresses for non-formal nights (Alaska cruises)?

I see you're suffering from APA (Alaska Packing Anxiety), we did too. The first step to our recovery was admitting we had a problem so I'm glad you are on that road. People who don't recover soon lapse into CPD (Chronic Packing Disorder) :)

Winter coats are not necessary since you will be in layers. Last summer was one of the coolest/wettest on record in SE Alaska and jeans, t-shirt, midweight sweatshirt and waterproof light hooded windbreaker was the most we ever needed (we're from So Cal). If you do get caught short, heavyweight clothing is available everywhere in the ports and the prices are very reasonable.

One suggestion is to cross-pack. If a suitcase is misrouted by the airline there's a few days of essentials in the other suitcase for everyone to get by. Another suggestion is take along old socks and underwear. After one last wearing you can discard them and free up space for souveneirs. We pack for half the length of the trip and do laundry halfway through (not all ships have a self-service laundry)...then we discard stuff in the second half of the trip.

I go to Alaska in late May-first week of June and always take a coat. However, I do not pack my coat as I wear it on the airplane. I pack my gloves and scarf in my coat pocket and wear the shoes that I will be wearing in Alaska on my feet as this cuts down on my packing weight.

Many sailing Alaska's inside passage & doing excurison are surprised to learn for the 1st. time that it's get lots of rain up there during the cruise season vs. places like Seattle. Layers in wind-proof & water-proof outer garments like parka & take along a backpack or canvas tote when going on shore - or, you can buy them at various shops at the piers, if you have time.

NCL no longer "do" formal nights, dress pants & casual shoes are fine in MDR for the evenings - I worn a pair of 'dressy' Timberland w. hiking soles and it's fine to meet airlines' 50 lbs. weight limit (although doing this cruise w. just a 22" carry-on is a challenge).

We pack our "lighter" items & liquid items (in small bottles) in the checked luggage & pack them in neatly as TSA are known to open them as they see fit for whatever. Our heavier & bulkier items are either hand carried like the jackets and then laptop, digital camcorder & Rx's etc. are either on a carry-on w. wheels or backpack since there's no weight limit on it (yet ....) Plus, the extra folded soft tote will usually get us to the pier (packed with our own sports drink & soda) which we then leave with the porters to delivery to our cabins.

Plus, for sun protection & light drizzles typical in ports, traveler's hat or even baseball style caps will do - instead of packing those umbrellas.

A few years back we went in Sept and did not take a heavy coat. Sweater, turtleneck, windbreaker and it was enough w/gloves. Going back this Sept and again will not take a heavy coat but similar clothing style w/layering and windbreaker. I am not a fan of cold weather and live in South Texas!

DJ127

We tend to take excursions that involve boat trips and I like to be out on deck. It can be very, very cold and windy (and sometimes wet) on deck when the ship is in motion. I spend as much time out there as this southern girl can stand so I take a pretty significant jacket that is both wind and waterproof. I got it at Eddie Bauer and I don't regret having it along. I carry it on the plane.

Thank you Kenish, yes, I acknowledge my APA.

I guess to coat or not is a personal thing.

How about the shoe question... IF we aren't hiking across the frozen tundra or glaicers... are sneakers going to work ok?

I have learned to pack light. They have a laundromat, you can do some wash, so unpack at least 1/4 to 1/2 of what you have in your luggage, you will never wear it all. If you only wear it once you don't need it.

We each travel with one backpack and one piece of carry-on luggage. DH now rents a tux and leaves his home in the closet. I bring two pair of black pants and even wear them on formal night with dressy silk tops that fold up to nothing and weigh nothing. A sweater, fleece, turtleneck and a few casual tops that you wear to the gym and you will be all set.

Our last cruise we were gone for 10 days and I packed too much! I will throw in a pair of gloves and light weight rain jacket.

Happy packing!

Marion

So they are saying we don't need a winter coat...:confused:

You can leave the winter coat at home, unless there is freak weather, you won't need it. You will be fine with a fleece and a lightweight jacket that is at the very least water resistant (though it really should be waterproof). I know, everyone sees all of the pictures of Nome and Barrow and thinks that Alaska is this cold, God forsaken place. It can get as high as 90 degrees in some places in summer. Only above the Arctic Circle is it eternally chilly/cold. ;-)

I see you're suffering from APA (Alaska Packing Anxiety), we did too. The first step to our recovery was admitting we had a problem so I'm glad you are on that road. People who don't recover soon lapse into CPD (Chronic Packing Disorder) :)

:D LOL , this is me to a tee!! And I'm not leaving for 4+months.

Our heavier & bulkier items are either hand carried like the jackets and then laptop, digital camcorder & Rx's etc. are either on a carry-on w. wheels or backpack since there's no weight limit on it (yet ....)

Just to nit-pick, but most airlines actually do have a weight-limit for carryons. Now, I don't think I've ever seen it enforced on a US operated carrier (and I live in fear that one day an airline will decide to weight my laptop/camera bag). European airlines supposedly are far more picky about it.

Hmm, US Air and Delta it's apparently 40 pounds, couldn't find it on the NW site (although obviously they'll be following Delta now). That's actually higher than I thought it was.

OK, it's time for me to get it together and start packing for my family... we leave Vancouver on May 2nd... I have the DH packed...

I'm still reeling at the fact you're well along in packing for a trip that's still three weeks away! ;) That alone puts you ahead of about 98% of people who pack in a rush in the day or two before leaving, and end up throwing too much stuff in the suitcase in the rush. (If we start putting out clothes in the week before a trip, we consider ourselves to be doing well! :) )

-- Eric

Yes I also suffer from APA> I'm a list maker and so far have changed it about 5 times.I was happy to see the snow and , high wind and rain hit us on Monday, gave me a chance to try different combinations of outer wear and have finally solved the jacket problem. I should be organized by the time I sail it's only 132 days away.

To answer your specific question - tennis shoes will be fine if you're not planning on hiking absolutely. You might want to pack two pairs though - or spray one pair with waterproofing, because there is always a reasonable chance of getting soggy feet!

Since the weather is unpredictable and changes during the day, the layering idea works best - layering up, peeling off, allows you to adjust to changing circumstances. A backpack is great for stowing layers you're not using.

Because you're wearing something underneath, it's quite common here in the PNW (and SE AK as well) to re-wear second and third layers. It's okay to wear the same fleece every day. Same jeans.

Obviously you want a second pair in case the first get dirty/wet/spilled on - but you don't need three of everything unless you know you're going to be doing activities that will leave you sweaty/muddy/wet (or you're a really messy eater!).

You'll have lots of opportunities to buy t-shirts and fleece in AK ports so you can under pack on those and supplement with souvenirs. Cross packing is an excellent suggestion. Also take one change of clothes in your carry on just in case your luggage is lost or delayed.

You are well ahead of schedule to be packing already. You might want to unpack hubby's suitcase, lay out all the stuff, and see if you can't pare down based on this input. I know you'll have a great time - don't stress about packing - you're doing fine! HCBI

Just to nit-pick, but most airlines actually do have a weight-limit for carryons. Now, I don't think I've ever seen it enforced on a US operated carrier (and I live in fear that one day an airline will decide to weight my laptop/camera bag). European airlines supposedly are far more picky about it.

Hmm, US Air and Delta it's apparently 40 pounds, couldn't find it on the NW site (although obviously they'll be following Delta now). That's actually higher than I thought it was.

Oh, yes, 40 lbs. are generous - that's probably a challenge for the business travelers who typically never checked in with FF status and/or on an upgraded B or F class seating. Let's see, 50 lbs + 40 lbs x 2 people is quite a bit of weight and it won't work for our express debarkation - coming off the gangway on our own, not that we are in a rush to get home or back to work. I'm always amazed about the weight on those overhead bins while sitting on the aisle seat and what folks put up there w. those heavy over-sized 22" carry-ons. (Jetblue allowed 24" carry-ons, 26" on its fleet of A320's and has no weight restrictions)

The other measure is the fear that, should fuel prices rise again, most US carriers would start using the "box" to measure & see whether carry-ons are over-sized, regardless of weights - and we've seen those on oversea trips at various airports, especially for international departures and being enforced.

Bottom line is that it's always good to pack & travel light .... missed those pre-mp3, ipod, laptop, dvd & camcorder (plus accessories) days with just a good paperback or magazine or two .... now, if I can just get my own noise-cancelling headset for that 12 hour JFK-LAX-HNL flight in my backpack (it's just another 6 oz. - just kidding.)

This will be our first cruise (to Alaska, Aug. 12, Seven Seas Mariner), but we have traveled to various other destinations through out this beautiful world & take only a carry-on & backpack each. Most of our trips are 2 weeks, except the last to Africa was 3 weeks & then we were restricted to 33 lbs total including backpacks as we had 2 internal flights. Yes, they did weigh the luggage. :eek: We each have 3 pairs of wash-&-wear very light weight undies, 3 wash-&-wear very light weight t-shirts all of which dry overnight if hand washed & hung on a hanger, even in Costa Rica with all of their humidity. The wash-&-wear very light weight take up so much less space in your suit case. You can always use the ship board laundry.

Also, we each have wind proof fleece, our DD lives in CO. We also have light weight waterproof jackets. Mine came from Target on sale & DH's was from a customer golf tournament. :D

DH clothes weigh more than mine so I usually end up with some of his in my suitcase. Another thing we never take jeans as they are too heavy and take too long to dry. Docker type slacks have worked well on all of our trips, both for day & evening.

Don't stress over what to take. No one else will care what you ware & if they do, then they have WAY to much time on their hands & nothing else to occupy their pea sized brains. Maybe a good book would help them? :rolleyes:

Just go and have a wonderful spectacular vacation.

You can leave the winter coat at home, unless there is freak weather, you won't need it. You will be fine with a fleece and a lightweight jacket that is at the very least water resistant (though it really should be waterproof).

What about the 3-in-1 type of jackets [can wear either a)fleece, or b)outer layer water-resistant coat, or c)combine both for warmer winter-type jacket]?

I have always bought these types of winter jackets, and end up wearing the seperate layers through all seasons.

Don't stress over what to take. No one else will care what you ware & if they do, then they have WAY to much time on their hands & nothing else to occupy their pea sized brains. Maybe a good book would help them? :rolleyes:

Really not as worried about what others think... but don't want to freeze my family :eek: or make them lug around 25 pounds of extra stuff they don't need. Just trying to balance... not too much, but enough. I'm not a huge fan of sending out my clothes on the ship, but it is available if needed. And I do carry little packets of Tide that you can get at Target, for a sink washing... as well as those shout towels to clean up a spot or two.

Thanks guys!

We went to AK last year on a 12 day. We brought (2) 26" and two carry on size. One carry on was mostly empty, and allowed for souvenirs . Gotta bring thoses tee shirts, sweat shirts and coffee mugs to the family and friends at work. It also allowed me to pack the "empty" one with a small pint of spirirts or two and some mixers and water bottles before getting on the ship.

I really do like the three in one jackets as they are very warm, waterproof and durable. Well worth the cost and you will even get to use a layer or two in North Florida. I lived in tampa for 27 years and still was glad I had a layered jacket for Alaska and we went first week of May 08. The breeze walking around town had many with their hoods up or hats on. You can also by souvenier sweatshirts and jackets for under 20 bucks while on shore. The three in one jackets can be had for a song online right now as winter is over and many sites are discounting these winter leftovers.

Try to consider the wicking shirts like the "Under Armor" type but you can buy similar spinoffs without the "emblem" for 50-75% less at Walmart or Target. If they do not sell them locally, check them online. I bought 4 longsleevs at costco for 8 bucks each. they are comfy, warm and easy to wash and wear. They keep you warm and dry fast if you get caught in rain. They are also easily washed in a ships bath sink and dry in a matter of an hour or two on the shower bar.

A few in our roll call had some great ideas...

Always take pictures of what is going in each suitcase and a few pictures of the suitcase... good for ID purposes in case the case gets lost and is better to show pictures then try to explin to a lost baggage clerk at the airport.

Also write down brand, colors ands sizes of luggage and keep them with you travel papers.

Enjoy your trip!

oldmanbob

Also a suggesstion is NOT to have your name and address on the luggage tag. A name, itinerary and/or destination and cell phone number is ample for anyone to track you down and notify you, while alos keeping your address un-available for prying eyes, keeping the honest people honest.

The airlines will not send you your luggage without calling you first, so why put the address??? A copy of your itinerary and contact info, on a sheet of paper in each suitcase is also recommended. Again, no address. If you must use an address use your work or office address (if applicable) .

Archived