Alaska White Pass RR Excursions?

Hi all---

We're heading to Alaska on the 6/24/09 sailing of RSSC's Mariner.

We're wondering what the difference is between these two excursions for our day in Skagway: "White Pass Scenic Railroad", which is free, lasts 3.5 hours, and leaves at 8:15 a.m., and the "White Pass Scenic Railroad by Steam Train", which is $49/pp, lasts 4 hours, and leaves at noon.

Is the only difference that the second one is pulled by a steam engine? Why is that one more expensive, and what are your thoughts on which one is superior?

Cheers!

What we had was White Pass Scenic RR and historic gold dredge. The gold dredge was marginal at best: how great is your desire to sift threough a pan of sand that is salted with some tiny gold flakes. After you find the flakes, the dredge operator then tries to sell you jewelry that has the flakes in it.

I've heard that the steam train adds a lot of extra value to the trip, but I haven't taken it.

I'm not sure about the difference between the steam and "regular" engine, but I liked the fact that the steam left much later. (We enjoy leisurely getting up and leisurely breakfasts.) I think, though, that both excursions you mention do train up and train back. I've read a number of reports that found that somewhat boring. We've decided that if we do the train, we're going to do the one that does coach back (and goes to suspension bridge; we're not all that interested in the bridge part, but I like having the train one way, coach the other).

But we still haven't decided whether to do that or the Glacier Point excursion.

I'm not sure about the difference between the steam and "regular" engine, but I liked the fact that the steam left much later. (We enjoy leisurely getting up and leisurely breakfasts.) I think, though, that both excursions you mention do train up and train back. I've read a number of reports that found that somewhat boring. We've decided that if we do the train, we're going to do the one that does coach back (and goes to suspension bridge; we're not all that interested in the bridge part, but I like having the train one way, coach the other).

But we still haven't decided whether to do that or the Glacier Point excursion.

That Glacier Point Excursion does look interesting. I can imagine being on the train that long could get pretty boring. Will have go back and do some more homework!

Hi all---

We're heading to Alaska on the 6/24/09 sailing of RSSC's Mariner.

We're wondering what the difference is between these two excursions for our day in Skagway: "White Pass Scenic Railroad", which is free, lasts 3.5 hours, and leaves at 8:15 a.m., and the "White Pass Scenic Railroad by Steam Train", which is $49/pp, lasts 4 hours, and leaves at noon.

Is the only difference that the second one is pulled by a steam engine? Why is that one more expensive, and what are your thoughts on which one is superior?

Cheers!

The steam engine does not run very often. It is a real steam engine that has been re-done and I loved going up the pass on it. If doing the train I would go with the steam engine.

We're wondering what the difference is between these two excursions for our day in Skagway: "White Pass Scenic Railroad", which is free, lasts 3.5 hours, and leaves at 8:15 a.m., and the "White Pass Scenic Railroad by Steam Train", which is $49/pp, lasts 4 hours, and leaves at noon. Is the only difference that the second one is pulled by a steam engine?

There are a few differences, which some might consider inconsequential and others might consider significant.

Yes, the main difference is that the train is pulled by an original steam locomotive. To me, it's pretty cool to watch a train going around a curve led by an old locomotive billowing steam; it helps transport you back to another era. We did the steam train trip in Durango, Colorado (photo below) a few years ago, and we're hooked!

The steam train at White pass goes about 6 miles farther than the basic summit trip; that accounts for the steam train trip taking a little longer. Since we're going for the first time in June, I can't tell you whether that extra distance is at all valuable or not. We chose the steam train trip because we wanted the steam engine.

One of the Alaska natives who's a regular contributor on the CC Alaska forum has a web site with some pictures of the steam train:

http://www.railsnorth.com/steamex.html

-- Eric

1428947316_Durango-SilvertonSteamTrain.jpg.f893859da7681fd714d6937fbea8b28a.jpg

Thanks for posting those photos! I think that seeing all that billowing black smoke decides me against the steam excursion. I can definitely see the "romance" in it, but on balance I think we'd not so much enjoy it. Am I correct, Eric, that it'd be train in both directions if one did steam trip? That definitely seems like a disadvantage to me (though perhaps not). I do like the later departure time though!

Thanks for posting those photos! I think that seeing all that billowing black smoke decides me against the steam excursion. I can definitely see the "romance" in it, but on balance I think we'd not so much enjoy it. Am I correct, Eric, that it'd be train in both directions if one did steam trip? That definitely seems like a disadvantage to me (though perhaps not). I do like the later departure time though!

On the steam trians I've been on, they do warn you that you may experience some smoke or soot, but we have never had it blown in our face or been bothered by it at all. I wouldn't let the smoke from the locomotive scare you off from a trip on a steam train.

In terms of the trip, yes, it's a roundtrip. I think it's only a disadvantage if you'd otherwise take a train up to the pass and then transfer to a bus or van to go all the way to Emerald Lake. But certainly many people chose to take the train up and a bus down for some slightly different views and commentary. For us, the lure of the steam train won out!

-- Eric

Btw, for anyone who might be interested, I've learned that the steam excursion has tour guides in period costume (along with some sort of little champagne thingie instead of just the coffee, cocoa kind of thing that the other excursion includes.) May or may not matter to anyone, but thought I'd mention the detail (learned from Regent excursion dept).

Good info.

Since I've been on the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge RR several times, I think we'll just go with the regular choo-choo in June. I do remember getting fairly "gritty" on those Colorado RR trips.

The extra hundred or so bucks I'd pay for the two of us on the steam train and glass of champagne on the White Pass trip probably isn't justified, at least in our case.

Thanks everyone!

I don't know if this is still true or not, but when we took the steam train excursion in '02, RSSC made it a point to only fill the cars half full. The reason as it was explained (and soon became apparent) is on the outbound leg, all the good views are on the left side, and on the right side the primary views are of the side of a mountain only a few feet away from the tracks. Vice-versa on the return leg. So filling the cars only half full allowed guests to change sides to get the good views on both legs. On board staff wore period costumes, and there was a narration as to the sites. Refreshments were complimentary. I can't recall what all was offered, but I had Diet Coke and some chips. We had no problems with smoke, soot, or foul odors. Overall, one of the best RSSC excursions we've taken.

A Princess ship was in port. And those guests were put in separate cars -- totally full with no costumes, narration, or snacks as I was told.

Archived