Aft cabins

slyfox0113

Apparently you get first dibs on tender tickets if you are in a port that requires it (not necessary on our Alaska cruise), I have heard there are reserved rows in the theater for the shows, you get into the chocolate buffet about a half hour before the general public, more choices on the room service menu. ;):D

Susan

OMG, this is just getting better and better

I was on the Dawn in an AE aft cabin - deck 9 a couple weeks ago. There were many reasons why I loved being in this cabin but there was a negative that I would consider for future cruises:

Pros:

Absolutely drop dead gorgeous views, sunrises and sunsets, panoramic views at all hours of the day, and spectacular star gazing with very little glare from lights on ship.

The wonderful smell of the bakery wafting up to the balcony where I was sitting...yummy!

The spacious balcony to have two loungers and a small table to spread out and relax.

Very quiet and low traffic hallway being at the back of the ship.

Cons:

We did have a bit of rough seas on the first couple days of our eastern caribbean cruise - I have NEVER experienced motion sickness in my life and have been on everything from a cruise ship, hovercraft, speedboat, rowboat, ferry, you name it. This was the very first time I felt dizzy and "off". I didn't get sick, but my appetite was definitely affected and I did need to take gravol for the first couple of days to ease the symptoms. It is definitely rougher in these cabins, and there is a mild vibration (I'm assuming from the engines?) that you notice at first, but then I was able to adjust and from day 3 on, I was just fine, and slept like a baby.

So depending on the cruise itinerary and how much open sea is involved will determine whether I will take another aft cabin.

It will be a reall toss up for me because the cabin itself and the location is fantastic to say the least. But with 12 - 15 foot waves, it was not so nice for several hours. I did go up to the front of the ship in Spinnackers and found it was rocking quite a bit there as well. So not sure if location would have made a huge difference in this case.

cpcanuck

Does anyone think that having an Aft BA booked gives you a slight edge of getting a call from the Upsell Fairy? This is our first time cruising and we have an aft BA booked on the Star to Mexico in October. I don't know that I would take an upsell even if one was offered because I am really looking forward to the cabin we have booked. They probally would want a large amount of money to upsell from a balcony to a suite anyway, and from reading all that I have here on CC I know upsells are few are far between. I was just wondering if since a BA aft seems to be a sought after cabin if anyone thought it gives you a better chance of a upsell?

not that I know anything but I would think that if the AFs and AEs were not sold closer to cruise time that NCL would push those in BAs to move up. I mean...wouldn't it be cheaper to move up from BA to AF or AE than to move say from an inside or oceanview to AF or AE? I was sorta thinking that to be the case but, again, I'm NOT the expert here. Was talking w/my TA this week and found out that our June sailing is not full. She was telling me that there were plenty of upsells available at this time but not sure what the case would be by late May. Anyway...

We will be in a aft cabin on the sky and now I am worried there might be a bad smell? Has anybody had this happen to them on there cruise?

We were in an aft penthouse suite in Sept. and didn't have any odor problems. There were posts way back in July /August about sewer odors in some hallways but I haven't read of any problems of late.

Always remember , if you have any sewer odor in your cabin . All you need to do is pour water down the floor drains ( by the shower , by the toilet ect. ) the traps dry out. or drain out in rough weather.

This will take care care of it ;) works like a charm.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an aft balcony for the Pride of America....it is BG 7182

what is the difference between BG and other letters like BA...if they are also aft balconies?

I realize they are on other decks...but why is 1 deck better than another?

thanx

It seems like my opinion about the aft view is different from most others! I really don't like the aft view! It's correct that you can see to both sides but that's only if you stand up, if you sit down you can't see to any of the sides!

The aft Penthouses are still great cabins but not because of the view! If I could get the suite perks in a minisuite with sideview, I should definitely prefer that but the perks are worth the bad view so I will still book a aft Penthouse again if I don't wanna spend the money for a Courtyard Villa...!

Archived