juneau docking question

macnife

We are on NCL and suppose to be docking at 2pm on June 2. Would we have enough time to get off the ship for a 3:15 excursion? The excursion meets at the dock, so I assume we should be able to make it.

However, you will have to take a shuttle bus, since the AJ dock is a mile from downtown. An afternoon arrival is going to have lines and lines of people wanting to get off the ship and on to those buses. So I suggest you be in line with tender tickets, if they pass them out, early. A problem with afternoon arrivals, is everyone wants off the ship. Early morning tenders, have plenty of sleep in people, making the lines less.

From the dock, go up the gangway, and then to the shuttle bus line on the LEFT. Tours leave from the lot on the right.

So I suggest you be in line with tender tickets, if they pass them out, early.

I thought Sitka was the only tender port? Do they give "tender" tickets when docking? Do I need to worry about getting tickets to disembark in Juneau when we dock at 12:30? :confused: I thought we just walked off and dealt with the mass exodus and lines at the time?

However, you will have to take a shuttle bus, since the AJ dock is a mile from downtown. An afternoon arrival is going to have lines and lines of people wanting to get off the ship and on to those buses. So I suggest you be in line with tender tickets, if they pass them out, early. A problem with afternoon arrivals, is everyone wants off the ship. Early morning tenders, have plenty of sleep in people, making the lines less.

From the dock, go up the gangway, and then to the shuttle bus line on the LEFT. Tours leave from the lot on the right.

Tender tickets when docking???? :confused:

on NCL, the tours should be in the parking area, just look for the signs.

if the other ship hasn't moved from it's berth, yet, you MAY get a delay. but the vendors, especially NCL excursions, will know this...since everyone will be delayed.

we docked at 2pm (had to wait for the NCL sun to move away from the berth) and we were off the ship by 2:30.

I thought Sitka was the only tender port? Do they give "tender" tickets when docking? Do I need to worry about getting tickets to disembark in Juneau when we dock at 12:30? :confused: I thought we just walked off and dealt with the mass exodus and lines at the time?
It doesn't look like you'll have to worry about tender tickets at Juneau, 5/24(?) according to the schedule: http://www.claalaska.com/

OH Boy- no you DO NOT NEED tender tickets for the AJ dock. :) So sorry, I got typing away about being early in the lines to get off the ship. With an afternoon arrival, they usually do have two gangways, but I have always had waits in lines getting of the NCL ships at AJ> I have sailed with NCL in Alaska at least 5 times.

My only point was to mention the shuttle buses and where they pick up. IF not a ship excursion, just be certain where you have to be, and if they do pick up at AJ. I've gone with a few that did not.

IF you are "scheduling" with an independent ALWAYS, go with their recommendations for time.

Looking at the Juneau port schedule, Sea Princess is shown at AIF on May 28th. Off hand, I don't see any other ships there. Could someone give me an idea on the location? Thanks. Nancy
I see five ships at Juneau that day, with the Sea Princess at AIF (ANCHOR - INTERMEDIATE FLOAT), but I also would be curious to know about some of the other berth codes that seem to have been added more recently(?)

On our last NCL cruise to AK we had an arrival time in Juneau of 2pm at the AJ dock. However, another NCL ship was at the AJ dock until 4pm, and our ship tendered for those 2 hours until we could dock. No, this was not unexpected by the cruise lines - this was the way it worked at that time. (I don't know about right now.)

If people don't have an excursion planned most of them are content to wait until we can dock, while others need to tender in order to get to their excursion on time.

We didn't have anything planned, other than to hit the same stores we've been to before and knew we had to go to again. So we had a late lunch and leisure time on board, waited for the Sun to depart and then we pulled into the AJ dock. Not a big deal.

As others have mentioned, if you have time constraints, I would make sure to get a tender ticket as early as possible, if there is to be a tender.

On a related subject -

what are the designations for docking at the ports in Ketchikan and Skagway? Thanks.

http://skagway.com/citymap.html Ore, Railroad and Broadway docks clearly listed.

In Ketchikan, one dock area, with the newest- north, the farthest walk "downtown" a couple more blocks worth. Also tenders- would "ANC" or similar listing.

Archived