Hiking at McKinley Princess Lodge?

QuilterStamper

Yes, but only about a 15 minute so so "trail". Two days is a LONG time to stay there without plans, unless McKinley is out, which is rare. A tour to Beyers Lake has some very nice trails, but it would also depend on how MUCH time they have you there?? They do run kayak tours of the lake?? IF you have the opportunity, I strongly suggest you get 2 nights at the Denali lodge instead, FAR more to see and do, and especially if you do not have the Tundra Wilderness tour- the Natural History tour is a complete waste of time, unlikely to see any wildlife and certainly only so so scenery, since you do not get into the park. Essentially like seeing Disneyland from the Parking Lot.

If you stay with these two nights, then plan on purchasing shuttle bus tickets into Talkeetna, top tour choice here in my opinion is flightseeing. You can walk about the town, small museum, Park Service Ranger station with McKinley climber exhibits. Far more food options.

Our cruisetour schedules 2 nights at McKinley and 1 at Denali. After reading these posts, today I did opt out of the Natural History Tour and reserved the shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center. That is the longest trip our schedule allows. Princess did credit back the amount for the Natural History tour. At McKinley we may reserve a Byers Lake excursion, maybe one of the river trips, kyaking, or the Ranger hike. We are going the beginning of June so there is still a little time to decide.

Our cruisetour schedules 2 nights at McKinley and 1 at Denali. After reading these posts, today I did opt out of the Natural History Tour and reserved the shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center. That is the longest trip our schedule allows. Princess did credit back the amount for the Natural History tour. At McKinley we may reserve a Byers Lake excursion, maybe one of the river trips, kyaking, or the Ranger hike. We are going the beginning of June so there is still a little time to decide.

We are going to also do 2 nights at McKinley Lodge and 1 night at Denali. (We opted for this tour do to cost). Please tell me where you found info on things to do while at the lodges?

We are going mid-August.

Just be certain, you have transportation to/from the shuttle bus worked out. I suggest you call the Denali Lodge when they open for current information. You also can NOT count on the shuttle buses being "on time" with their returns. I've been on buses an hour late, depending on how the stops go. The returns are not fixed.

We are going to also do 2 nights at McKinley Lodge and 1 night at Denali. (We opted for this tour do to cost). Please tell me where you found info on things to do while at the lodges?

We are going mid-August.

http://www.princesslodges.com/princess_alaska_lodges.htm

Click on each lodge and about half way down the page you will find excursions offered by Princess. Independant flightseeing while at the McKinley lodge is one of your better options.

http://alaska.org/flightseeing/flightseeing-day-tours.htm#mctalkeetna

http://www.princesslodges.com/princess_alaska_lodges.htm

Click on each lodge and about half way down the page you will find excursions offered by Princess. Independant flightseeing while at the McKinley lodge is one of your better options.

http://alaska.org/flightseeing/flightseeing-day-tours.htm#mctalkeetna

Thank you for the link.

Just be certain, you have transportation to/from the shuttle bus worked out. I suggest you call the Denali Lodge when they open for current information. You also can NOT count on the shuttle buses being "on time" with their returns. I've been on buses an hour late, depending on how the stops go. The returns are not fixed.

Also don't double pay your park admission fee. :) Tell the shuttle bus reservation agent, you will have already paid this with Princess.

Also don't double pay your park admission fee. :) Tell the shuttle bus reservation agent, you will have already paid this with Princess.

When I reserved the shuttle they said that when I cancelled the NHT with Princess that the park fee would be cancelled as well. I then said that we have the Golden Age Passport, so they put us down for no fee. I have been told that the Denali Lidge is about a mile from the park entrance. I will call the Lodge directly in mid-May when they open and ask if the shuttle will come whenever we get back. But if it doesn't we can walk back to the Lodge.

We will be staying two nights at the McKinley Princess Lodge on our cruisetour and wondered if there are any hiking options in the area of the Lodge?

oh yes, we went for a walk on the paths around the Mcinley Princess lodge, and it was after a rain. My feet went out from under me on the wet tall grass, and down the hill I slid in my white pants. It was too funny. Yes, you can go 'for walks' around the property area, but I wouldn't call it hiking. Take advantage of the shuttle to Talkeetna and 'hike' around there. :)

How much credit did you receive from Princess when you cancelled the tour? I'm wondering about doing the same thing.

jettaleea

They credited back $89 per person ($178 total). Since the shuttle to Eielson Center is $31.45 per person it seemed like a good change. Because of having the Golden Age passport we don't have to also pay the park fee. So that might be additional for you.

Quilter,

The Denali Princess is really quite a long walk from the main gate of the Park-it seemed as if it was much longer than one mile, much of it uphill. and we are walkers/runners.

We are also walkers (and do some hiking). So I am hoping that is an option if the Lodge shuttle is not available. I have the phone number will call the Lodge in mid-May after they open and get some answers from them then.

We did a cruisetour and had two nights there. It really wasn't too long because we got in at dinner time after a long day doing the TWT which was outstanding. We spent the night and had a full restful day there before we started our cruise. We got lucky and had wonderful weather, highs in the upper 70's and completely clear. The mountain was out all day.

We hiked and listened to a talk on bears and relaxed on the large balcony. There was a shuttle bus to a near by town but we didn't go.

I could see it being boring if you got bad weather.

They credited back $89 per person ($178 total). Since the shuttle to Eielson Center is $31.45 per person it seemed like a good change. Because of having the Golden Age passport we don't have to also pay the park fee. So that might be additional for you.

You got a heck of a deal, since the NHT is $62. It looks like Princess made a mistake??

Archived