Family cabins?

So far we've done one interior (5 people) - don't recommend.

We've done 2 interiors- not bad

We've done Grand Suite and an interior. One of my favs

We did a family suite (on Navigator) last time and personally I didn't care for it. The suite had several rooms, and hallways (lots of storage) It had 2 bedrooms a sitting room a walkin closet and a 2 small bathrooms (like an interior) The Grand Suite had a huge marvelous bathroom.

One reason I didn't like the family suite is it felt small because of the room arrangement. It had one balcony. It had a master bedroom with a window and a tv but the kids room was like an interior without a tv. SO they couldn't lay in there in the evening and watch tv. They didn't care for that.

Oh yeah other 2 other things I didn't like. The family suite was on the aft of the ship (I guess since its a family thing) you look over the break deck fro staff. SO I thought we would look down over the water and we had a beautiful view of the smoking area. The floors there were like layered so the floor above us was behind us and they had a clear view of our whole balcony. In addition becasue it was so far aft it was miles from EVERYTHING. Including the elevators. We usually try to get rooms near the elevator, slipped up on that one.

Money wise it cost us a little more to have a family suite vs a suite plus an interior.And yes, you have to call to get these rooms.

This time we are going with 2 balcony rooms. I think if we do another suite it will be a grand suite.

Ok, I haven't cruised RC since 05. DH & I have only went RC as a couple, leaving kids at home. Well, even back in 05, we only had 2 kids. 06 brought us #3, so now we are a family of 5. We've taken the 2 older kids on DCL, but haven't taken the 2 year old yet. I've heard that maybe some of the RC ships (Freedom class?) had family staterooms that weren't the expensive suites. Is that true? I tried to do some sample bookings, but I kept getting a msg that said only 4 could book. Was I misinformed? And, if there are family staterooms as insides or porthole cabins, are they cheaper than getting 2 inside connecting cabins? Thanks for any comments or suggestions as its diffiicult planning for families of 5 or more!

We've stayed in two family staterooms and a family suite.

Now ... just from my perspective, I slept better when my children will younger without a balcony (plus it was easier on our budget). We stayed in 6500 of the voyager. The bunk beds were kind of dark and our children were too afraid to sleep there, so one slept with us (5 at the time) and the 8 year old slept on the fold out couch. There was plenty of room.

This past year, we were in cabin 8500 of the Explorer ... it was FANTASTIC ... even though it looks weird. My children (boy 11 and girl 8) slept in the bunk beds in their own bedroom. We did have to share a bath, but it wasn't a problem.

The Master bedrood certainly had as much room as a standard outside cabin ... maybe a bit more, so there was plenty of room for a pack- n-play.

We really enjoyed the family state rooms (and the price).

By the way, we booked at the last minute with the Voyager and about a year ahead of time with the Explorer ... in both cases, we ended up with prices for all 4 of us that wasn't much more than an outside room, with twice the cabin space.

You cannot book on line, you have to book through a TA or by calling RCCL directly.

Good luck

I'm so glad that you liked the cabin. Were you able to watch the parades from up there?

Oh yes - our cabin was right next to the platform that is used for the shows above the promendade so we had a front row seat for that! There was a hilarious Village People rendition that they did one evening - not sure if they still do it but it was awesome to see it from the cabin...and that was the only evening we actually heard any noise from the promenade. Our kids liked being able to people watch and could spot other family members walking by & report on who just bought Ben n' Jerry's or grabbed a slice of pizza :rolleyes:

We have 3 children and have cruised twice in FOV (family oceanview) cabins which sleep 6 on the Jewel and the Brilliance. They are roughly twice the size of a regular stateroom. These can not be booked online and I had to ask a travel agent to ring RCCI as they had never heard of them either. It means that you only pay for 2 adults plus 3 children and saves loads of money. There are 2 bunks behind a curtain in an alcove and a sofa bed in lounge area but only one bathroom. We found this worked really well when the children were young but more difficult as they became teenagers and spent longer (and longer) in the bathroom and needed more privacy. Plus side though is you know when they are back.

When we were on the Freedom we were in room 8200 which is larger than most of the family oceanview rooms. The layout was great and we really enjoyed the extra room (we were in a FO on the Mariner and it was quite smaller). On our last cruise on the Liberty we opted for two interior staterooms. We sure did miss the view but it was nice, now that our kids are older, having that extra bathroom. Our next cruise will also be two interior connecting rooms so that's probably what we'll do for now on, unless we can snag one of the larger FO's on the 8th floor. There are picture links in my signature of the rooms.

OK, so how do you connect a balcony stateroom with an interior stateroom?

There are certain ships that have this combination.

This is the Freedom, Deck 9 in the aft of the ship. Look at the Green cabin

9696, last one down on the left and the pink cabin 9701. That is a balcony and an inside conected. 9396 and 9401 across the ship are the same setup.

phpxSyf8N_c3PM.jpg

The Navigator also has cabins like this, but I am not sure right now if they are toward the bow or in the aft?

These cabin combinations are great for families with kids because of two bathrooms and no balcony for the kids where they sleep. ;)

I found the Navigator too. Same thing on Deck 9. Just different cabin numbers. I have not checked other ships.

phpsV1tAJ_c3PM.jpg

There are certain ships that have this combination.

This is the Freedom, Deck 9 in the aft of the ship. Look at the Green cabin

9696, last one down on the left and the pink cabin 9701. That is a balcony and an inside conected. 9396 and 9401 across the ship are the same setup.

phpxSyf8N_c3PM.jpg

The Navigator also has cabins like this, but I am not sure right now if they are toward the bow or in the aft?

These cabin combinations are great for families with kids because of two bathrooms and no balcony for the kids where they sleep. ;)

I found the Navigator too. Same thing on Deck 9. Just different cabin numbers. I have not checked other ships.

phpsV1tAJ_c3PM.jpg

The only problem with this scenario is that I've been told twice this week by RCI that both of these rooms only sleep two each, so for our family of five this still won't work. I was really excited about snagging one of these combo's, but we were told no. I thought it was strange that any balcony room would only sleep two. We were looking at the Freedom, not sure if it makes any difference from one ship to another.

The only problem with this scenario is that I've been told twice this week by RCI that both of these rooms only sleep two each, so for our family of five this still won't work. I was really excited about snagging one of these combo's, but we were told no. I thought it was strange that any balcony room would only sleep two. We were looking at the Freedom, not sure if it makes any difference from one ship to another.

I have no idea what they can sleep, RCCL would have to tell you that. I was not implying that they are "Family Suites" just that families do look at them to book them for the convenience of the two bathrooms and the safety of no balcony for the children.

I do know of people who looked into them for that reason. And for families with two older children, this would be great.;)

On the website, it does say that some of the cabins in that category have a small sofa bed?

EDIT:

That is a real waste of two perfect "family" cabins if they only let 4 people sleep in them.

That's a unique combination of rooms. Just shape of the outside of the ship that limits what kind of a room they can put in there. It's weird to have an "inside" room on the outside of the ship.

Yes, it is unique. When I first heard of these cabins, I told someone I met cruising on board the Navigator to check on them for their families next cruise. They had never known about them either. So they checked on it while on board the ship and sure enough, they were there. ;)

Archived