Summit or Solstice - Best Itinerary?Ports Jan./Feb 2010

librarylady19

Whilst browsing on the Celebrity site for my next cruise I came across this S. Carib. itinerary for Summit in winter 201:

San Juan, Puerto Rico, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, St. Croix, U.S.V.I., Basseterre, St. Kitts, St. Johns, Antigua, Castries, St. Lucia, San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Is this a new itinerary or has it been offered before? The ports sound really intriguing. I was waivering between Solstice or Summit but this itinerary sounds so much better. While I like sun & shopping, I also like to be see new places and cultures and enjoy nature, so island tours/historical sites are appealing. After trying snorkeling in Cozumel, I think I'll stay away from water sports (discovered I can't put my face in water and swim at the same time!!)

I have been following closely the recent thread on the merits of M class ships v. S class - what I'm really interested in is the comparison of the itineraries.

I'd appreciate input from those who have visited these ports and/or sailed Summit. TIA.

Whilst browsing on the Celebrity site for my next cruise I came across this S. Carib. itinerary for Summit in winter 201:

San Juan, Puerto Rico, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, St. Croix, U.S.V.I., Basseterre, St. Kitts, St. Johns, Antigua, Castries, St. Lucia, San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Is this a new itinerary or has it been offered before? The ports sound really intriguing. I was waivering between Solstice or Summit but this itinerary sounds so much better. While I like sun & shopping, I also like to be see new places and cultures and enjoy nature, so island tours/historical sites are appealing. After trying snorkeling in Cozumel, I think I'll stay away from water sports (discovered I can't put my face in water and swim at the same time!!)

I have been following closely the recent thread on the merits of M class ships v. S class - what I'm really interested in is the comparison of the itineraries.

I'd appreciate input from those who have visited these ports and/or sailed Summit. TIA.

Have you looked at the 11 night on Millenium out of San Juan....we're booked Feb. 22/2010 it has a great itinerary as well and works out to better valve when you look at cost per day.

You'd also have to calculate the diff in airfare & any pre/post cruise hotels...

and where you prefer to cruise from

Solstice of course is newer & very exciting; but if it's more about the ports than you should pick one of the other itins...

I would look at Millennium before Summit. Great prices, 3 or 4 more days, and the ships a mirror images. The airport in San Juan is much nicer on Monday/Friday than it is on the weekend. Look at the 9 night Millie for Jan 2 2010. We are looking at the 10 nighter either in November or early 2010

Guest Host Cheryl
I would look at Millennium before Summit. Great prices, 3 or 4 more days, and the ships a mirror images. The airport in San Juan is much nicer on Monday/Friday than it is on the weekend. Look at the 9 night Millie for Jan 2 2010. We are looking at the 10 nighter either in November or early 2010

Do you recommend the Millennium over the Summit because of the extra days for the price or was there other reasons. The reason I ask is because we are limited on time so booked the 7 night on the Summit.

What hotel would you recommend in San Juan for the night before the ship sets sail. Is there a must see in San Juan before setting sail? I had heard the rain forrest was good but wasn't sure if the morning of sail away would allow enough time.

With regard to Summit vs Millie, shipwise you can't go wrong. But for 7 nights vs 9 or 10, you are talking one or 2 extra vacation days from work. More ports.

And for me the kicker, Staying away from San Juan's busy days at the airports. Plus many times, airfare will be cheaper flying Monday/Friday vs weekend. San Juan airport is a nightmare on the weekend. I did the 7 nighter a while back and swore I'd never fly to San Juan again because the airport was so overcrowded. Think about it this way, it can be impossible to find a seat. We sat on the floor for a couple hours waiting for our flight. Too me, that alone makes Millie worth it.

As to the day before, we just took the day to rest by the pool and unwind from the travel.

It's really not so much about the $$, but the time away from work, unfortunately. Both DH and myself are library directors, so it's difficult to leave others in charge for more than a week at a time!

Thanks for your input.

I just got off Soldtice and booked Summit for next March. Because of her size Solstice doesn't do very great ports and we'd like to do the ones Summit visits for the Beaches and Snorkling...very similar to the 10 day deep Caribbean itinerary we did on Galaxy years ago ... Summit makes sense especially because my husband and I cannot fathom

being away from work longer than a 7 day cruise would permit. We are longtime XHeads but have only sailed c-class and now S-class so we look forward to the m-class experience next March.

Guest Host Cheryl
I just got off Soldtice and booked Summit for next March. Because of her size Solstice doesn't do very great ports and we'd like to do the ones Summit visits for the Beaches and Snorkling...very similar to the 10 day deep Caribbean itinerary we did on Galaxy years ago ... Summit makes sense especially because my husband and I cannot fathom

being away from work longer than a 7 day cruise would permit. We are longtime XHeads but have only sailed c-class and now S-class so we look forward to the m-class experience next March.

What is the differences in the class sizes? Is it soley the size of the ship?

Yes, the major difference is the number of passengers... but the number of pools is different on the different classes, and so are other distinctive features . Solstice has a yawn, I mean Lawn (what a waste of space!) and more speciality dining options... but the ship's designers decided to go for length of cabin over width so we found the Solstice to actually feel "tighter" to us in our 1A than we felt in comperable cabins on C-class ships... we did have one of those "gem" hump 1A's so we had the largest veranda available in the category... it's always important to check the square footage for yourself and try to work with a TA who knows the ship you are booking well to guide you also. Obviously the line's website and this CC website is of great aid in the decision as well. Best of luck on whatever you decide!

hello,

we was on the solstice this past march. she is a beautiful ship. i would love to sail on her again if the ports were different. we did however book the summit cc sweet sixteen cabin for march 2010. we got a fantastic rate. the rate was less than what we paid for our 2a veranda on the hump on the solstice. with 6 ports and 5 of them we have not been to yet it was a good fit for us. if you book the solstice you will love it also.

later,

ezemoney

We have sailed both, and just sailed the summit this past March,

Depends on what you like to do at port.

We have been to Greneda on the Constellation in 2004 and Summit this past March both tines we were touched and grabbed and harassed. Bonaire is wonderful if you love to Snorkel, the best snorkel we have done since the Galapagos. Aruba, is just as commercial as St Maarten, Dominica is awesome for active day trips.

Tortola is a great Beach port, San Juan is still one of our Favorites.

Both options are great, We have booked the Solstice for next March with our group.

The lawn club we love...its not a waste of space, More pool chairs ....give me a break!!!! Skin Cancer anyone??? The solstice deck has lots of chairs.

the solstice is our favorite ship out there, but we have sailed the Summit 3 times, Alaska, the Med, and Caribbean

Archived