Whalewatching, Mendenhall, Mt. Roberts Tramway

dusty1117

We have scheduled a whalewatching tour with AKWhalewatching at 9AM in Juneau and it will be either 2.5 or 3 hours depending on how many people sign up. We have to told them we were flexible. We have to be back at ship by 3:30PM. So I figure we will have maybe 2 or 2.5 hours before boarding. Ak Whalewatching will take us to Mendenhall for a price but we have to pay upfront prior to taking tour that day. What are your suggestions for the 2 hours. We do have to grab something to eat for lunch. Should we skip Mendenhall and hope the weather for Mt. Roberts Tramway is nice that day, walk Juneau or go to Mendenhall? :confused:

We are pretty much doing the same exact thing on;y off the Island Princes in July. We were going to try for the tri-fecta doing all three WW, Tram, Mendenhall. Hope we can pull it off. I look forward to seeing the responses that you get on this.

oWhalewatching (8:00A on dock) with Alaska Fish & Whale watching (akwhalewatching.com)

oMt. Roberts Tram (weather permitting) 11-12A

oLunch on ship if docked 12-1P

oMendenhall Glacier 1-3:00P

I know, it does not leave a lot of time but we could forgo lunch on the ship. We only plan to do the Robert's excursion for an hour. I welcome anyone telling me this is not possible. BQ?

I would just pack some food and eat later, if you want more. You are wasting an hour backtracking, going back and forth to whale watching and Mendenhall, look at a map.

I suggest you just consider going one to the other. Then adding your shopping and Mt. Roberts, dining when you return downtown.

I might suggest Tracey's Crab Shack for lunch...it is right by the dock...you can google it for her website...personally, if you are taking any of the flightseeing excursions, you could skip Mt. Roberts and I don't think Mendenhall is nearly as spectacular as what you will see from the boat in Glacier Bay so don't worry...I have heard that Mendenhall is better from a boat so you might get your whale watching captain to take you by before he takes you back to the boat.

I'm thinking of trying to pull off the trifecta as well. Harv & Marv from 8:15 - 11:15, drop off at Mendenhall. With the shuttle from Mendenhall, figure the tram around 1:30, lunch at Mt. Roberts. Need to be back to the ship by 3:30.

Disclaimer: the preceeding itinerary is subjet to change.

since the whale watching is in auke bay...about 20/30 mins drive from the port AND you pass the turn off to mendenhall. in fact, you can see the tip of mendenhall from the whale watching boats. you do NOT want to go all the back to town and then ALL the way out to mendenhall..save that extra hour of driving and go to mendenhall after whale watching and save the activities closer to port for afterwards.

Archived