cintipam

cbb

Thank you; how cool to have a thread named for me!

Husband grew up about an hour from Gettysburg, so we have visited there many times. He is reading up about Malta now!

When we graduated from law school and had no money at all yet, while many went off backpacking to Europe after the bar exam, we went on a tour of the Virginia battlefields (in chronological order, of course) because my sister lived in the VA suburbs near DC and we did not have to pay for a room. I actually had a good time!

we've actually signed up for 2 of the tours I told you about. One is brand new-the fall of Richmond, and the other is a repeat of Gettysburg which we took several years ago but wish to retake. We have done most of the big battles ourselves but doing it with Ed Bearss is an unbelievable experience. I've also researched and included in our trip notes a brief review of early Greek and Roman history as well as some early Christian history including Paul's shipwreck so that we can appreciate what we're seeing. Malta has been strategic forever! Glad you liked your namesake thread....cool, indeed!!

Hi....stumbled across this thread while i was researching for an Oceania cruise in June. (Rome to Istanbul). Cintipam...your reviews are insightful and very helpful. Im posting here because i too am a mil history buff...(you can see my background here: www.harrychittick.com ) My wife Connie has put up with my dragging her around various battlefields around the world so i understand the pull between mil history and shopping. LOL.

I hope we share a cruise someday...I suspect we would all have a lot to talk about.

Harry, thanks for your kind comments. I still am basking in the fact that cbb posted a thread in my name! Also, thanks for giving me another chance to flog my first-time cruiser's review of my September 2008 Nautica Istanbul to Athens cruise, which can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=48450.

I checked out your website and indeed would enjoy the opportunity of meeting you.

Over the years, the spouse and I have reached a pretty good compromise on the military history days because I too enjoy the actual sites themselves. The problem is the military history museums because Gerry literally reads every label on every display. Lately, if we are visiting a city, he will wait until the last day of our visit to do the "big" MH museum (like the Invalides our last day in Paris two years ago), a very appreciated gesture. I also sometimes bring a lightweight paperback to read while I wait.

A true disappoint to both of us is that when our next cruise, June 5 Nautica Athens to Rome cruise visits Malta, Fort St. Elmo will be closed for renovations.

24theroad,

I see where you, cintipam and her husband, and my husband and I share a love of military history. I encouraged cintipam and her husband to look into the Smithsonian Civil War tours with Ed Bearss as the leader. He is the finest battlefield historian I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We've taken 6 with him and have signed up to do a repeat of Gettysburg and a new one on the fall of Richmond which only seems right since we "marched with Sherman... and Ed" a couple of years ago. I hope you will visit the Smithsonian Civil War tours website.

Archived