A stupid question about packing..

gpiglet

I'm flying to Fort Lauderdale from Seattle in May and like most ladies, I will pack my make up and skin care with me too.

Do I have to check in the luggage since the skincare product, shampoo are "liquid"? Because it will cost me another $25 each way for checking a luggage...

Thanks!

If the bottle is larger than 3 ounces, you can not carry it on the plane. You must check them. For a carry-on, the rule is you get a single one quart ziplock bag and you can put in as many liquids as you want provided they are in bottles that are 3 oz or less.

Doubtful you can pack for a 7 day cruise in a carry-on anyway.

If the bottle is larger than 3 ounces, you can not carry it on the plane. You must check them. For a carry-on, the rule is you get a single one quart ziplock bag and you can put in as many liquids as you want provided they are in bottles that are 3 oz or less.

I do carry on all the time everywhere I go. So it can be done for a 7 day cruise. LOL

Your 3oz bottles will need to be in one ziploc lock quart bag. I remember the first time I did this. I thought you could use as many bags as you wanted. Didn't know just one bag. I had plenty of room in each bag, but they did make me fit everything into one ziploc. Got it done though. LOL

You have to make sure that the product is in a 3 oz. container. You can't take a 6 oz container that's 1/2 full---they will take it from you!

Just pack it to be checked. That's the easiest way. You can take as much "liquid" as you like if it's checked. (This assumes you're flying---if you're driving to port, the ship doesn't give a fig what you bring on!!! You can carry on gallons of liquid (as long as it's not alcohol!!!) and they don't care!) No TSA rules on the ship.

Not sure if time will be in your favor, but I no longer pack liquid toiletries unless it's something I can't buy in the location I am headed when traveling by plane. I simply opt to make a quick pit stop at a local drug store or grocery for my supplies. This helps maximize my space in my suitcase, reduce it's weight AND protects me from spills which is why I started doing things like this in the first place (DD's Princess Giselle costume was ruined by a can of mousse that was punctured and my bras and panties smelled oh so pretty even after washing everything at the resort when we went to WDW last year.

It may cost me a little more to do it this way but I'm OK with paying a little more for shampoo, conditioner and such if need be.

Oh yeah, I'm also considering ordering SOLID shampoo from Lush. I'm planning on trying it over the summer to see if I like it before our cruise in October.

Messunderstood....what a great idea! I had not thought of buying things after the flight and before the cruise....thanks for the advice! Hope you have a great time on your cruise. We are going in 32 days and I am so excited, but your advice will be a great addition to my routine.

Yep, we are staying a few days early before we sail and we are going to the mall and buying our case of water and some pop to pack for onboard. Some large size sunscreen too. We always stop somewhere before we board. Usually, not any different in price if we purchase here at home or there.

I wonder of the only one quart size ziploc bag is a new rule? I flew this past week and had

to redo all my stuff. Last year when I flew I put all my toiletries in several ziploc bags

and don't remember it being an issue.

I didn't take any shampoo, body wash or body lotion because they were all supplied on the ship (NCL Dawn). We checked one suitcase ($15.00) and took one carry-on. I hate the fact that American Airlines charges for bags, especially since our airfare was so high.

I'm flying to Fort Lauderdale from Seattle in May and like most ladies, I will pack my make up and skin care with me too.

Do I have to check in the luggage since the skincare product, shampoo are "liquid"?

What I do concerning skin care products is instead of taking a liquid skin cleaner I take individually wrapped facial cleansing cloths. Instead of taking a bottle w/toner I saturate cosmetic squares with toner and seal them in small ziplock bags (actually the pill bags). I use mineral powder foundation so there's no need to carry liquid make up. This leaves toothpaste, mouthwash, conditioner & contact solution to go in the ziplock bag. Also when department stores have tiny bottles of fragrance samples I keep those for when I travel since they take up very little space in the ziplock bag.

This can definately be done. I did a B2B last year (9 days total) with just a carry on and a tote bag.

I wonder of the only one quart size ziploc bag is a new rule? I flew this past week and had to redo all my stuff. Last year when I flew I put all my toiletries in several ziploc bags and don't remember it being an issue.

No, the 3-1-1 rule has been in effect for quite a while:

3 oz or less containers

in a 1-quart ziplock bag

1 ziplock per person

From the TSA website:

TSA implemented the 3-1-1 policy in response to the thwarted liquid explosive bomb plot in the United Kingdom in August of 2006. Today, the wide-spread acceptance of that policy demonstrates the international understanding of the threat to aviation from liquid explosives.

Messunderstood,

As to your solid shampoo, you might want to check out Herbaria All Natural Soap. They are really good & can be used for both body soap & shampoo. I bought them for our safari last year & now use them all of the time as them seem not to dry out my skin as much as regular soap.

I took a carry on and tote for our 7 day cruise to San Juan. It can be done! I just use the travel size items and have no problems. As everyone else has said, only the 311 'technique' can/will be used when flying.

I'm trying a new technique for the 3-1-1 bag. I'm using a borrowed idea, and transferring my liquids to eye-dropper bottles. Since I wear contacts and go through about 2 bottles of re-wetting drops per month, I have plenty of them at my disposal. The little stopper pulls right out, with only a little encouragement, and I have found that the 2/3 oz. bottles are perfect for my skin care products such as cleanser and toner. I've done a test run, and the 2/3 oz. bottles will hold enough of those products for me to use twice per day for 7 days. This frees up enough space in my 3-1-1 bag for everything I need to carry...including my GermX.

Do I have to check in the luggage since the skincare product, shampoo are "liquid"? Because it will cost me another $25 each way for checking a luggage...

Thanks!

I try to always fly on Southwest - you can check two bags per person for free! Also no change fees...if the flight price goes down you can rebook at the lower price and you get the difference in credit! SW does fly into Ft. Lauderdale but not to Miami.

I love SWA! You can check luggage without fees! Anyway, I do carry-on all cosmetics and specialty hair products and put them in smaller containers. When I pack shampoo and conditioner for the family, they go in ziplog bags in the checked luggage (in case they open).

One thing most people don't know but it is on the TSA site - if you use OTC or prescription liquids or gels, they can be in a separate ziploc than the one for your toiletries. In this bag goes my contact solution, hydrocortizone, and DS liquid Claritin before he started taking it in pill form, and extra contact lenses. It's not a lot, but it does free up some of the space. Then if I run out, I use DH's and DS's if necessary. :D :D :D

One thing most people don't know but it is on the TSA site - if you use OTC or prescription liquids or gels, they can be in a separate ziploc than the one for your toiletries. In this bag goes my contact solution, hydrocortizone, and DS liquid Claritin before he started taking it in pill form, and extra contact lenses. It's not a lot, but it does free up some of the space.

I didn't realize contact solution could go in a separate bag. Thank you for sharing this info.:)

As others have already said.. The 3-1-1 rule has been in effect for sometime now.,. The CONTAINERS must be 3 oz or less.. all in a 1 qt ziploc....

One other thing that you can't bring on-board any aircraft either checked or as a carry on is a snow globe.

I drive to the port whenever I can being UAL allowed my luggage to be stolen on my last trip.. (Not for a cruise and a very long story with a very unhappy ending) You can bring on the ship whatever you want so long as it is in quantities that are not "outrageous" except booze.. Can't bring that on board..

I do like the idea of purchasing the needed items at a local store just prior to sailing..

Enjoy your cruise...

I understand the 3-oz and the quart size ziplock bag, but does everything need to fit flat in the bag or can you cram stuff in the bag? What do I do with my travel size hairspray and travel size mousse? If these can go in the carry-on, then I am okay. Also, how much in snacks can you carry in a tote bag w/ magazines, etc? Or can I put some sancks in my carry-on and not worry about them getting confiscated? We fly out in 2 weeks.

I understand the 3-oz and the quart size ziplock bag, but does everything need to fit flat in the bag or can you cram stuff in the bag? What do I do with my travel size hairspray and travel size mousse? If these can go in the carry-on, then I am okay. Also, how much in snacks can you carry in a tote bag w/ magazines, etc? Or can I put some sancks in my carry-on and not worry about them getting confiscated? We fly out in 2 weeks.

To the first question - the bag just has to close. As far as snacks go, you can take as much as you can carry as long as there are no liquids. I once carried on a Sonic burger and onion rings, but our airport has a Sonic in the airport, but it would have made it through the screening. I also had cannolis make it through - heaven help me if I would have had to eaten them right then and there!

Archived