Explorations Book Club Debuts on HAL Cruise Ships

Krazy Kruizers

Explorations Book Club Debuts on Holland America Line Cruise Ships

Seattle, WA, April 6, 2009 – An enriching new book club program will debut on Holland America Line’s sailings of 14 days or more starting in May 2009. As part of the cruise line’s ongoing Signature of Excellence initiative, the Explorations Book Club will launch with the popular novel “Like Water for Chocolate” on the Panama Canal ms Veendam sailing. Book club gatherings will be implemented on select sailings of 14 days or more starting in the fall, with a different novel selected for each itinerary.

Lively book discussions will be hosted by the on-board librarian in the Explorations Café powered by the New York Times. Guests interested in joining the discussion will have time to read the selected book as the chosen title will be posted online prior to each sailing.

The on-board librarian will plan and facilitate two to three discussions for each book. Books chosen will relate to the sailing destination whether by author or topic. For example, books under consideration are “In a Sunburned Country” by Bill Bryson for Australia itineraries or “Saving Fish from Drowning: A Novel by Amy Tan” for Asia cruises.

On Veendam this May, guests traveling through the Panama Canal and along the Mexican coast can enrich their travels with the fiction novel “Like Water for Chocolate” by Mexican Novelist Laura Esquivel. Originally published in Spanish as “Como agua para chocolate,” the book has been translated into thirty languages with more than three million copies in print worldwide. The 1992 film based on this novel earned 11 Ariel awards of the Mexican Academy of Motion Pictures and became the highest grossing Spanish-language film ever released in the United States at the time. Rated four stars on Amazon.com, the novel was chosen for its relevance to the sailing destination and its reception as a story “that will charm the palate and the heart” according to USA Today.

For additional information on the Explorations Book Club program, consult a professional travel agent, call 1-877-SAIL HAL (877-724-5425) or visit www.hollandamerica.com.

I like the idea; probably no cost involved unless you need to buy the book. I think it would be good to read it ahead of the cruise them one could check it out of the library or maybe even find a friend that has it. Especially good for the longer cruises for trips that have more sea days.:)Another Carol.

I like the idea; probably no cost involved unless you need to buy the book. I think it would be good to read it ahead of the cruise them one could check it out of the library or maybe even find a friend that has it. Especially good for the longer cruises for trips that have more sea days.:)Another Carol.
I could be wrong, but I think the idea is that you check the website a month or so in advance of your cruise and find out what the book club selection for your sailing is, and then you read it at home ... before you board. This way you're prepared to join in the discussion.

At least that's the feeling I get anyway. While I guess you could read it onboard if you're a fast reader, you might have a hard time getting ahold of a copy if you didn't bring one with you. After all, lots of others are gonna want to be reading it too.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sounds like a great idea for trips that have a number of sea days. I'm an avid reader but I rarely even finish reading a book on a 7-10 day sail. It would be a super way to meet people on a longer voyage.

on-board librarian

It sounds like a fine idea, but who is the "on-board librarian"? The only staff I've seen in the library are bored and/or irritated-at-the-duty staff under the CD. Anyone know if there might be a personnel change that would facilitate discussions?

on-board librarian

It sounds like a fine idea, but who is the "on-board librarian"? The only staff I've seen in the library are bored and/or irritated-at-the-duty staff under the CD. Anyone know if there might be a personnel change that would facilitate discussions?

I'll volunteer! I'm a retired teacher/librarian.........I can deal with anything!:D

Archived