Mariner OTS; short rant on noisy intrusive maintenance in the middle of the day

DWPC

We were on the Mariner OTS last week and the crew was sanding the wooden rails, chipping paint and rust with hammers, and painting in the pool area and solarium almost every afternoon. The noise and the blowing dust and grit were really intrusive. One afternoon, the MC of the afternoon pool entertainment gave up in frustration as he was surrounded by chippers and painters working right on the stage around him, and two guys with power sanders were bzzzzzing on the mezzanine above him. Sure, ships require a lot of maintenance, but that kind of work should be done early in the day before the pool areas fill up. :(

We were on the Mariner OTS last week and the crew was sanding the wooden rails, chipping paint and rust with hammers, and painting in the pool area and solarium almost every afternoon. The noise and the blowing dust and grit were really intrusive. One afternoon, the MC of the afternoon pool entertainment gave up in frustration as he was surrounded by chippers and painters working right on the stage around him, and two guys with power sanders were bzzzzzing on the mezzanine above him. Sure, ships require a lot of maintenance, but that kind of work should be done early in the day before the pool areas fill up. :(

I'm not sure that there is an ideal time to do that kind of work and if it has to be done during a cruise, it is an unfortunate situation for anyone affected by it. Were they to do it earlier in the day someone would likely complain that it interfered with their ability to sleep in late and in our experience the pool areas generally fill up well before noon, so I'm not sure that there is any one time that is much better than another.

Ships take constant maintenance...but during the "prime" pool hours....we had a similar experience on Brilliance a couple of years ago---lots of "re-staining" of the railings going on during the mid-morning to early afternoon hours... I would think from 3pm onward would be a less "intrusive" time, but I don't make the decisions!

I understand that it takes constant maintenance on a ship, and I am happy they do it, as I would hate to be on a cruddy looking ship. However it would be nice if they could take in occupancy consideration (prime time for pools, etc.). On one cruise, they sanded and varnished our balcony railing while we were at lunch. Walked into our cabin and nearly gagged. It probably shouldn't have surprised us as they were varnishing the railings all over the ship on that one. I would have been better with it if they had set up a time later in the day when it could have dried over night when we didn't want to use the balcony.

I was also on this sailing and despite the "caution" signs on the railings, I still managed to lean into the freshly stained railings a couple of times. I guess you just forget when you are trying to lean farther for that better view! I guess the work has to be done sometime.

I understand that it takes constant maintenance on a ship, and I am happy they do it, as I would hate to be on a cruddy looking ship. However it would be nice if they could take in occupancy consideration (prime time for pools, etc.). On one cruise, they sanded and varnished our balcony railing while we were at lunch. Walked into our cabin and nearly gagged. It probably shouldn't have surprised us as they were varnishing the railings all over the ship on that one. I would have been better with it if they had set up a time later in the day when it could have dried over night when we didn't want to use the balcony.

I'm not sure how quick drying it is and whether or not being at sea in the evening might not interfere with and prolong the drying process. While you might not want to use the balcony at night, there are many who do, and scheduling the work later in the day might interfere with those who use that time for a quick nap before dinner, or to get ready for their evening's activities, so I guess there is no time which would be satisfactory to everyone. :)

I would think that a port day would be one of the better days to catch up on maintenance work. The pool area would be much much quieter and most people would be off the ship, so it would be much easier to access each balcony cabin too. if they needed to varnish the rails.

JUst my humble opinion..... but hey what do I know? :rolleyes:

Archived