walking shoes

will be traveling to europe.....looking for a great pair of walking shoes and we have 10 ports to visit and will be doing alot of walking..any suggestions would be helpful

thanks,

carol

I've had foot problems for years and have tried countless shoes. We're leaving in 3 weeks for a Ruby Med cruise and I've been so worried about my feet being in pain the entire trip. I am happy to say that I have finally found shoes that don't hurt my feet. The brand is Vasque and I got the trail runner. Highly recommend it.

Merrell...

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Gallery.mvc.aspx/M-F/Men/Footwear

They make them for men, women, children...

Most comfortable shoes I've ever owned...I won't wear anything but them anymore...

I own a couple of pairs of "Jungle Mocs", a "Ventilator" and a couple of pairs of "World Passports"...I just bought a pair of Chameleon Hex hiking shoes to take with me to my next cruise...

Everyone's feet are different, so it is hard to give recommendations. What works for one person will not be comfortable for another.

Here is a thread that has many different suggested brands you can try:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911601&highlight=walking+shoes

The topic has been discussed lots of times, so if you do a search you will probably find even more.

Everyone's feet are different, so it is hard to give recommendations. What works for one person will not be comfortable for another.

This is so true. We are fortunate to have a store in our city, where you go in and don't even look at the displays. I told them the purpose of the shoes, they watched me walk in sock feet, and started bringing shoes appropriate for my feet and purpose. My daughter and I both went, and each found a different brand to be more comfortable.

Reading a thread on this a few months ago, I decided to try Ecco (we have a store nearby).

I got a funky pair of walking shoes that feel like clouds and are fashionable!!

Been wearing them for about 6 weeks to make sure they will "work" for me.. and they are awesome. Never really even needed breaking in.

But I agree, we all have different feet..but try these if you can find them...

Reading a thread on this a few months ago, I decided to try Ecco (we have a store nearby).

Been wearing them for about 6 weeks to make sure they will "work" for me.. and they are awesome. Never really even needed breaking in.

We also have an Ecco store here, and I have used their Oxford lace-ups for years; very comfortable but not at all fashionable. What is the name of the model of your comfy Eccos? (I wear orthotics so I cannot use sandals.)

Thanks,

Pam

Like others have stated....everyone's feet are different. Are you flat footed, do you have a low arch, or a high arch? Do you over-pronate or over-supinate? Are both of your feet the same length?

I have been on the quest for MY perfect shoe for our vacation. The first suggest that I have is: GO to a professional shoe store. If they are a legit, they will measure both of your feet for length and width. They will watch you walk and tell you how your feet roll as you make your strides. And sometimes they put you on this computer machine with little pegs that map the topography of your foot. Then and only then will you be able to know where to go from there. Most of these stores offer this service for free. But here is the catch....they want to sell you these really expensive insoles designed for your feet. If you want to shell out the money, the insoles do work famously but they are a little steep for my budget. Especially when a good shoe…picked specifically for your foot type, will do just fine.

So the store told me I have a no to low arch and I over-pronate. So I politely told them that I do not want to buy the insoles but would love for them to recommend some foot wear. Before you go in there, you need to decide if you want a tennis shoe, loafers, sandals, or whatever. Also you need to tell them the exact color you want. Make them find exactly what you want. Or if they don't have what you want...you are now armed with the knowledge to choose the best shoe for you.

What I did next was log onto a variety of different shoe sites. I went to Merrill’s, brooks, new balance, Clarks, etc, etc. Most of those sites have a "design" the perfect shoe for me. Now plug in your stats or call the 1-800 numbers for the company and have them guide you to the best shoe. Once you have decided on a couple of shoes. Then go to a store and try them on....both shoes, not just one. Walk around in them for a while in the store. Pick the ones that feel the best on your feet. Remember before you purchase the shoes, you need to ask about their return policy. I decided on Brooks for my tennis shoes and New Balance for my hikers. Both stores said I could return the shoes if they were still in close to purchase condition. The lady at the New Balance store said to put them on and just walk around the house. She said if I didn't like them....bring them back.

This is just the best way to do things....your feet are a very important part of your body....treat them well.

I'm always amazed when I see people walking along cobbled streets in flip flop type sandals, their feet and ankles must really kill them at the end of the day. Once you find the right shoe, its just as important to make sure they are broken in before you get there, nothing worse than a blister and knowing you'll be walking miles the next day. I like to have a thicker sole to deal with the uneven terrain so hiking style shoes work best for me for Europe, I also have thick soled sandals with support around the back so I don't have to worry about twisted ankles from the uneven surfaces. Comfortable is much more important than cute!!!! These days there are plenty of options so make sure you give yourself enough time to find the right shoes for you and get them broken in.

I made the horrible mistake on a Med cruise a few years ago of buying three pairs of new shoes, and then keeping them 'new' before I left. By the time we got to Barcelona, I had three huge blisters that plagued me the rest of the trip. Never have worn that first pair again. I realize that I have to sacrifice fashion for function--but if your feet are miserable, YOU are miserable!! I had good luck with Danskos this last time. And this time I wore them multiple days before leaving to make sure they were broken in!

Cathy

will be traveling to europe.....looking for a great pair of walking shoes and we have 10 ports to visit and will be doing alot of walking..any suggestions would be helpful

thanks,

carol

I did the same thing as you - trying to find the most comfortable shoes to take with me on our Med cruise last summer (also 10 ports which I loved!).

The shoes I bought were the most comfortable ones I have ever owned.

The only problem is depending on the time of year you are going.

We went in the summer and my feet swelled from the heat - I have never had this happen before.

Those comfortable shoes became very uncomfortable to wear.

I'm always amazed when I see people walking along cobbled streets in flip flop type sandals, their feet and ankles must really kill them at the end of the day.

I ended up wearing my flip-flops because they became the most comfortable things to wear and no my feet didn't hurt at the end of the day.

Yeah, I echo the thought that different shoes work for different feet but wanted to tell you that I recently bought a pair of Ecco Yucatan walking sandals from Zappos that are fabulous. I love Ecco too.

Happy travels,

Donna

One other tip is to bring along something like the BandAid Blister Blocker. You can rub some on the spots that are likely to be irritated by your shoes, like the back of your heels. On a hot day when you are walking a lot, any shoes might feel uncomfortable after a while. Using this will help keep blisters from forming.

It really works well for me.

One other tip is to bring along something like the BandAid Blister Blocker.

I agree with cruisemom42. I've not seen that brand and had to go to runners/jogger store to find some but it did help.

If you are prone to blisters you can also consider proper runners / hiking type socks. Synthetic blends are best. They are designed to keep the feet dry (hot & sweaty = blisters and uncomfortable feet) as well a minimize blisters through wear - they'll slip in the shoe at that spot rather than your foot. Yes I know they will make their own fashion statement as some can be quite bulky and others only available in white but if you can find a pair suitable they really will help. I was surprised that even with bulky hiking socks how much "less hot" (not to lie they were never cool) my feet were on a long hot day walking.

As others have said, all feet are different, and comfort is important.

However, nothing says tourist more than runners (in white and other multi-colours), flip flops, or crocs.

I have flat feet and must use custom orthotics, so fashionable shoes are not possible when doing any walking. However you can get great walking shoes in plain colours that are not too conspicuous.

When walking on rough terrain, nothing for me works better than my Merril hiking boots. They are plain dark brown and look fine with pants. Proper socks are essential and moleskin, blister bandages, etc.

However, nothing says tourist more than runners (in white and other multi-colours), flip flops, or crocs.

I wear crocs all the time at home and at work. Would they be out of place in Europe?

Judi

I have flat feet and must use custom orthotics, so fashionable shoes are not possible when doing any walking. However you can get great walking shoes in plain colours that are not too conspicuous.

When walking on rough terrain, nothing for me works better than my Merril hiking boots. They are plain dark brown and look fine with pants. Proper socks are essential and moleskin, blister bandages, etc.

Merrills afre for me-learned that last year when I asked the same question. As said above thread don't want to stand out, even though we do as tourists.

I decided to bring 3 pairs of walking shoes, just in case, one will get uncomfortable and so I can change the look:). I have a black Ecco sandal, that has Velcro closure, so I can adjust as my feet swell in the heat, and then I found a pretty Clark sandal they are called Artisan, very nice, real leather uppers and a good thick sole to walk on, the 3rd pair is J-41.

So I should be able to change out to make sure I am comfortable and still look good.

We also have an Ecco store here, and I have used their Oxford lace-ups for years; very comfortable but not at all fashionable. What is the name of the model of your comfy Eccos? (I wear orthotics so I cannot use sandals.)

Thanks,

Pam

Pam-

They are called Charm- and I got the bone/silver pair... I think they are pretty cool.. I felt dorky at first, but get compliments on them. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wont feel bad if you say eww!

shoe_thumbnail_small_1121355226.jpg.85531d486fef3ce1103eacd8472eb1f7.jpg

thanks,

carol

All the shoes recommened are very good. However, I like to take two comfortable pairs of shoes to alternate. Even a very comfortable shoe will rub certain areas of the foot. Alternating the two pairs of shoes usually prevents my feet from developing a sore spot.

My walking shoes are Eccos. I have three pairs of the velcro adjustable sandals in different colors. I also have a pair of black lace up ones. The style is called Ecco Soft, but the newer ones have a different name. I have back problems and the Eccos give me an amazing amount of support. I got them at a local Walking Store. The old saying that if your feet hurt nothing else feels good is so true. Have a wonderful cruise.

Joan

Pam-

They are called Charm- and I got the bone/silver pair... I think they are pretty cool.. I felt dorky at first, but get compliments on them. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wont feel bad if you say eww!

Thank you very much. They look great to me; I definitely will go to my local store and check them out. The two pairs I have (black and wine-colored) just are not right with capri's for summer sightseeing!

Archived