Helping Mom Prepare for a Canada/NE England Cruise

maraena

My mother and I are looking at a mom/daughter cruise to Canada/NE at the start of September aboard the Caribbean Princess. The ports of call are Newport, Bar Harbor, Boston, Halifax, and St. John. I'm also hoping to go in a couple of days early to see a few sights in NYC before boarding. Mom is mainly interested in the US ports of call. I'm interested in all, but particularly interested in the Newport mansion tours. (Since I've included a ton of background, I've italicized my questions for easier reading.)

The problem is, my mom lives a rather sedentary lifestyle. She says it stems from back, knee, and ankle issues. (Which I commiserate with, considering my own ankles.) She's fairly young and will reach official retirement age this year. She does not use a scooter or a wheelchair but seems to have great difficulty walking more than a few blocks at a time, particularly on hilly terrain. (Again, I am sympathetic to her injuries, but she compounds the situation by not exercising regularly. I've been to the doctor with her and my thoughts were confirmed by his adamant orders that she start exercising more.)

Having been to NYC and taking into account what she'd like to see and do, I know there's going to be a ton of walking to and from subways, a show, the hotel, etc. I'm not as familiar, however, with this particular ship and the ports of call.

I've been recommending that she start walking now to build up her stamina. However, I'm unsure as to how much walking she'll need to be able to do at one time. (I know we'll be resting a lot and taking it slow. We rested a lot on our last vacation together and that typically involved walking no more than 4-5 blocks.) I don't recall a number of benches in NYC for her to stop and rest for 10-20 minutes so I'm trying to ensure that she can make the trip to subways, restaurants, Ellis Island, etc.

How about the size of the ship? Will that be navigable for her on top of the excursions? Should I also be concerned about rough seas since she's also had balance issues? I don't want to guard her like a hawk but she does tend to fall a good bit.

Cruise-wise, she's also interested in:

The Freedom Trail in Boston

Newport Mansions and possibly the Cliff Walk

Acadia National Forest - I nixed her plan to walk this (told her my ankles couldn't handle the rough terrain) and instead suggested a trolley tour

The Canada ports are at the tail end of this cruise so I doubt she even gets off. Considering the toploaded American ports the three days prior,her stamina and her lack of interest in any location non-American, more than likely she'll stay onboard and rest while I putter about. If she does, however, come into port with me, what considerations should I make when planning for locations?

Her returning to the ship without me isn't really an option either. I'd need to accompany her back for my own presence of mind and to avoid my father's wrath upon return.

Were I to recommend to her that she take 2-3 walks a day at 1/2-1 mile a piece, would that be good preparation? I'd ask her to slowly work up to that amount and would happily provide her a 'workout plan' to help her reach that goal. Problem is, I don't live near her and can't act as a partner on these walks and/or monitor her progress. I'd need to rely on my dad and him acting as trainer would put him in a particularly prickly situation.

If she's unable or unwilling to build her stamina, are there options for scooter rentals in NYC that would allow us to take the scooter aboard a cruise ship? If not, what about ports of call? I want her to have some independence which is why I'm avoiding the manual wheelchair that would require my assistance for locomotion. I also get the feeling that she'd realize how much she needed one after 1 day in NYC.

For those who think I'm being a bit harsh, I am really trying to be sensitive to her plight. I know that, when I was a child, she made sure I was able to navigate our vacation locations. Lives come full circle and it's my turn to ensure her well-being and happiness now.

I can identify with your mother's situation. I, too, can only walk short distances on relatively level ground. One option which I use is to request a wheelchair for embarkation and debarkation. Choose a cabin mid ship. That way, no matter where you go aboard, it's a shorter walk. In the public areas there are plenty of places to stop for a rest. The halls all have a hand rail to steady you, and I always use my cane for added stability. (I don't always use it at home on level ground and limited walking situations.) We choose tours that allow me to sit and watch passing scenery. We'll be doing a riding tour of Acadia National Forest.

Another option would be to rent a wheelchair or scooter for the cruise. There are companies that do that, but someone else would have to tell you who that would be.

I've learned that its possible to enjoy myself in spite of physical limitations. I'm sure you will both have a wonderful time.

If your mother does have mobility issues (as does mine), minimizing the walking is what you have to do. In New York that probably means spending the money to take cabs. Nothing will wear her out faster than walking around New York and climbing in and out of the subway.

I live near Boston and always tell folks that Boston is small and is a walking and "T" city, but I would not advise that in your case. There is no way your Mom is going to be able to walk the Freedom Trail. However, you could take the Old Town Trolley (hop on hop off) and see many of the highlights of the Freedom Trail. Take a cab from the Black Falcon terminal to South Station to catch the trolley. You can prepurchase tickets online at a discount and they have a senior rate. Many cruise passengers will be going to the Westin Hotel to catch the trolley, but in your case going to South Station will get you on at the previous stop (fewer crowds). South Station has a waiting room and public restrooms and is more traveller oriented than the Westin Hotel. Your mother can sit in air conditioning while you get oriented and find the trolley stop.

LindaKE has given you good advice about the ship. If a scooter or wheelchair does not suit, consider a rollator with a seat. Your mother can go anywhere on the ship with it and she can sit down on it whenever she needs to. It folds up and can easily be put in the trunk of a car. It will also address your concerns about your mother's balance issues.

I actually posted the scooter question over on the disabled cruisers section. They gave some great information and, amazingly, I've managed to convince mom that the scooter is in our best interest. So right now we have a plan to rent one for the entire cruise. That's one problem eliminated.

For those of you who are NYC dwellers, I'm curious as to the accessibility of the subways. I seem to recall that there were elevators and the platforms were fairly flat. (Of course, I could also be thinking of the DC metro system too.) Mom really wants to take a subway ride so I'd like to accommodate her wishes as much as possible. Could anyone verify?

Also, I believe we'll be hitting the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I took the ferry a couple of years ago and saw the sights there, but I don't recall how accessible those boats were. Again, any input?

Hopefully we'll be able to rent one of the smaller 3 wheeled scooters that break down rather easily. That should help get us to the Liberty walk area in Boston. With the scooter, Mom should do just fine in that area. (Although I may need to make a warning sign for any pedestrians!) I'll start looking into the various sites she'll want to visit and map out a plan of attack.

The other tour I'm a bit concerned about is the Olli's Trolleys. From what I could find, it appears that you mostly just sit and ride. I think Mom will be fine walking to the location for pick-up but it's hard to say for certain. Is there a place to park the scooter for the trip, should she need it?

You should post your questions about the NY subway and the SOL on the East Coast Departures board. I know that some or most subway stations are handicapped accessible. However, that does not translate to mobility accessible. When I was there recently, there were elevators, but lots of walking to get to the elevators. You could do it in a wheelchair, but there would be lots of long flat areas to be covered. Some of the New Yorkers should be able to recommend subway stations to try.

You should also ask on the Disabled Cruiser board about using a scooter in Boston. I've driven my mom's scooter and I've worked in downtown Boston for 10+ years, but I've never driven a scooter in Boston. In the Freedom Trail area, the sidewalks can be narrow, crowded, rough, and uneven. Not the best terrain for a scooter. Is there an issue with considering the trolley as an alternative? You can ride it all day and get on and off wherever you please.

You should post your questions about the NY subway and the SOL on the East Coast Departures board. I know that some or most subway stations are handicapped accessible. However, that does not translate to mobility accessible. When I was there recently, there were elevators, but lots of walking to get to the elevators. You could do it in a wheelchair, but there would be lots of long flat areas to be covered. Some of the New Yorkers should be able to recommend subway stations to try.

You should also ask on the Disabled Cruiser board about using a scooter in Boston. I've driven my mom's scooter and I've worked in downtown Boston for 10+ years, but I've never driven a scooter in Boston. In the Freedom Trail area, the sidewalks can be narrow, crowded, rough, and uneven. Not the best terrain for a scooter. Is there an issue with considering the trolley as an alternative? You can ride it all day and get on and off wherever you please.

I'll definitely give it a go - re: your first suggestions.

Well, I was thinking of typical steps up and down into buses and trolleys. Those would be troublesome and it would certainly not be a hop on/hop off situation for her. She'd need a lot of help with the stairs on and off and I'd want to be on the ground in front or behind her (depending on whether we were boarding or disembarking) to ensure that someone was there to either steady her or take the force of a fall if necessary.

We were on this trip last Sept. I personally wouldn't skip Halifax. It is a beautiful city with many many options. Tours that would not involve walking.

I would think the Boston Freedom trail on foot would not be one for your mom. Would you guys like the Boston Duck tour? We didn't do this, but it looked like fun.

Olli's trolley ticket pick up is in a small gift shop you walk through when exiting the pier. Then you walk across the street (slightly uphill) to board the trolley. There is no office area there to really leave a scooter and I would think it would be a greater hassle to try to use it for that short distance anyway. I would email olli trolley with your concerns and see what they say. The one stop on Olli's' trolley has a spectacular view, but has a rock based terrain that could be dangerous for your mom. She might want to just stay on the trolley and not get off. There are some nice waterfront restaurants in Bar Harbor that you could have lunch at easily too. Had a great lobster roll while enjoying the view.

We were the furthest cabin in the rear of the ship and we ended up walking a good bit as a result of this. Now we actually welcomed the 'forced" exercise, we were pigging out way too much and don't have mobility issues. I did think that if my mom were with us she would really be struggling with our cabin location given the size of the ship. I would suggest you choose a cabin mid ship near an elevator.

We had a fantastic time and I am sure you both will enjoy this trip. If I can help let me know.

Sorry - From your post I got the impression that your mom's primary issue was the ability to walk the distances. It wasn't clear that she cannot do steps as well.

Oh, most days she can do them. It's just the some days when she falls down them. It doesn't happen daily by any means but I'd wager she falls down her front steps about once every 3-4 months (and they're tiny, wide steps). One of her worst injuries came at my prior house when she fell down a short flight of stairs there.

I'd rather be prepared to catch her (or, as it'd be, cushion her) than risk a fall like that on a vacation in the middle of Boston. Just prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

We were on this trip last Sept. I personally wouldn't skip Halifax. It is a beautiful city with many many options. Tours that would not involve walking.

I would think the Boston Freedom trail on foot would not be one for your mom. Would you guys like the Boston Duck tour? We didn't do this, but it looked like fun.

Olli's trolley ticket pick up is in a small gift shop you walk through when exiting the pier. Then you walk across the street (slightly uphill) to board the trolley. There is no office area there to really leave a scooter and I would think it would be a greater hassle to try to use it for that short distance anyway. I would email olli trolley with your concerns and see what they say. The one stop on Olli's' trolley has a spectacular view, but has a rock based terrain that could be dangerous for your mom. She might want to just stay on the trolley and not get off. There are some nice waterfront restaurants in Bar Harbor that you could have lunch at easily too. Had a great lobster roll while enjoying the view.

We were the furthest cabin in the rear of the ship and we ended up walking a good bit as a result of this. Now we actually welcomed the 'forced" exercise, we were pigging out way too much and don't have mobility issues. I did think that if my mom were with us she would really be struggling with our cabin location given the size of the ship. I would suggest you choose a cabin mid ship near an elevator.

We had a fantastic time and I am sure you both will enjoy this trip. If I can help let me know.

Thanks for the great input! I'm going to get a street level view of the Freedom Trail via google prior to the cruise and make a decision at that point. We've done the ride the ducks before.

As for the cabin, I've decided on a HA room just so we have room for the scooter and Mom has grab bars in the shower. Since the Atlantic tends to have rougher seas (based on what I read on here, thanks!), I think it may be in her best interest to have those available too. She does tend to lose her balance a tad too easily for my comfort and a little rocking might be just enough to splatter her on the bathroom floor.

Edit note: Since she'll have a scooter, she'll probably be able to get off in Canada so now I've got to figure out that part next. Of course, I've got time yet to get that moving and may just toss the ball in her court for figuring that one out.

It might help in evaluating activities to know that both Newport and Bar Harbor you must tender.

I noted this but, for some reason, I recall someone with a scooter on our prior cruise being able to tender. I think they may have broken down the scooter and that person walked aboard. I just know I saw them on the ship puttering about on their scooter and then again at Cayman in the same scooter.

It's next on my list to figure out how easy the scooters are to break down and carry. If all else fails, though, I'll see about a manual wheelchair. I really want to do the Cliff Walk (me walking, Mom not, considering the terrain) but our top priority is seeing The Breakers. I suppose if all else fails, we can visit one section of it and head back to the ship. Assuming I have enough time, I can put Mom on a tender and walk on over to see another section.

• 3 weeks later...

maraena - if you are going on the 5 September Caribbean Princess cruise we have a Roll Call with people that are going on the same cruise.

My wife and I just booked the cruise this week, it will be our third time doing that cruise, and it appears many others on the Roll Call have also done the cruise before and might be able to answer some questions for you.

You can find the Roll Call here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=921229&page=12

Hope you'll join us!

Brian & Sue

San Antonio

I developed a severe case of Osteoarthrits (bone-on-bone, both knees)last summer. I was in terrible pain. I thought I would have to rent a scooter or wheel chair in order to teach (my final year of school).

But I am not stopping traveling. When we went to San Francisco we just made some adjustments.

1--More bus tours and trolley tours. They are right: the hop on hop off trolley tour of Boston will work great. Ollie's trolleys should be fine for Acadia. There is a short but steep hill to walk up to get to Ollie's. But there is a great restaurant for lobster there, too = motivation!

2--I did Physical Therapy (easiest was in the pool). And I still do aquatic exercise in a warm therapy pool 4 days per week. That plus Synvisc injections in my knees enabled me to teach on my feet. And I have 2 big trips planned. Have your mom's doctor prescribe physical therapy, and sign her up for aquatic arthritis classes. The water is easier to exercise in and there are other people with mobility issues and pain. Rather than some gym full of "young hardbodies"!

3--Standing in line is the worst for me...just standing & not moving. So for our future trips I have purchased a small light weight fold up stool. So I can sit. Sierra Traders, Camp-mor, Living XL all have different versions.

4--Buy a "transport wheel chair". Approx. $189.00; they are light weight, and fold up. One bad aspect = You would need to push your mom.

5--Have her try one of the walkers with the brakes and a seat. It would give your mom some stability in the halls of the ship and a chance to sit down whenever and wherever she needs to.

As far as I can see getting on and off the Tender Ships will be the worst. However, all ships we have been on have been absolutely wonderful assisting pasengers with mobility issues. Just make sure she wears good sturdy tie shoes. I am appalled at elderly folks wearing slip and slide shoes on moving ships and boats.

Archived