Dining reservations - Mariner

Never done this before, but see posts re: people making reservations.

Questions:

Why are reservations needed?

What if you don't have a reservation - where do you eat?

How do you predict what time you'd like to eat after your excurions? (on land vacations, we just eat whenever we're up to it)

How do the menus differ from rest. to rest?

Are there menus somewhere to download?

Many thanks!

Never done this before, but see posts re: people making reservations.

Questions:

Why are reservations needed?

What if you don't have a reservation - where do you eat?

How do you predict what time you'd like to eat after your excurions? (on land vacations, we just eat whenever we're up to it)

How do the menus differ from rest. to rest?

Are there menus somewhere to download?

Many thanks!

Reservations are only required for the two specialty restaurants, Signatures and Prime 7. You can come anytime during their normal hours for Compass Rose (the main dining room) and La Veranda (which operates as a semi buffet/sit down restaurant in the evening). About 30 days prior to your cruise you can make one online reservation for Signatures and one online reservation for Prime 7.

Here are links to menus from our Mariner cruise last November (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569179098gbrlYp) and to menus from DebbieH103's Voyager cruise last Decemberg (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=895773&highlight=menus).

Hope this helps.

Dave

You don't need reservations for Compass Rose, the main dining room. You will need reservations for the 2 specialty restaurants.....Prime 7 and Signatures. There is more limited seating and they stager the reservation hours. You will definitely want to try both of these restaurants, great food and a nice change. If you eat in Compass Rose (dress code of the day) and La Veranda (always casual) just show up when you're hungry. The dress code in the 2 specialty restaurants is informal (jacket for men, tie optional) even if the dress code of the night is casual.

BTW, there is no surcharge for either Signatures or Prime 7.

LOL....apparently Dave and I were both answering your question simulataneously.

Prime 7 is Regent's newest fine dining venue. Most people make reservations online as soon as they are open (28-30 days prior to your cruise). On seven night cruises, these reservations are very difficult to get if you try to book while onboard.

If you are concerned about dining after your excursions, you may want to book Prime 7 and Signatures on days where you will either return from your excursions early or do not have an excursion. These are very special dining opportunities -- not to be missed (in my opinion).

Very helpful, thanks all. Can't wait to peruse the menus!

Hypothetically speaking, if hubby doesn't bring a jacket, really how big of a deal is it? Will they really refuse us? We're the comfortable, casual type. Plus, doing the Denali pre-cruise then post in Vancouver for 4 days, we already have a ton to pack (oh, and did I mention our 8 yo daughter's stuff as well???)

Thanks!

Hypothetically speaking, if hubby doesn't bring a jacket, really how big of a deal is it? Will they really refuse us? We're the comfortable, casual type. Plus, doing the Denali pre-cruise then post in Vancouver for 4 days, we already have a ton to pack (oh, and did I mention our 8 yo daughter's stuff as well???)

As I recall, there was only one semi-formal night on our Mariner Alaska cruise, with the rest of the evenings being "country club casual". The reservation restaurants do have the jacket-required dress code and I recall that all the men wore jackets when we dined at Signatures. On the other hand, while I recall that Latitudes also had a similar dress code, clearly they weren't enforcing it as several men did not have jackets on.

The alternative restaurants are certainly optional, as much as going to any restaurant with a dress code would be on land. Even the one semi-formal night when jackets are "required" of men even at Compass Rose, I believe the La Veranda dress code is always country club casual. However, the dress code of the night does dictate the attire for the other public rooms of the ship as well.

Whether or not the ship enforces a particular dress code, there are two other considerations. First, whether you'll be comfortable wearing more casual clothes on nights or in venues where everyone else is dressed up. Second, whether you'll be making others uncomforable being dressed casually while everyone else is dressed up.

We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Signatures the first night of our cruise. However, one thing did catch my eye. While all of the adult diners and all the children were dressed appropriately, one little girl stuck out like a sore thumb. Even though all the other children at the restaurant and all the other diners at this particular table were dressed up, this little girl was wearing a bright pink ski parka, jeans, and sneakers. Perhaps no one else noticed, and obviously the restaurant didn't refuse to seat the table, but it definitely stood out to me. Certainly not enough to tarnish what was otherwise a sumptuous meal in luxuriant surrounding, but it was a slight disruption of what would otherwise have been perfect harmony. Life is rarely perfect and it's frustrating when it comes so darn close but for that little girl wearing her jeans and sneakers.

That's not what you asked originally.

Jackets are required but I have seen them taken off occasionally during a warm evening

No, you are correct, that was not my original question (which was honestly asked to gather information). I appreciate the useful information.

The jacket removal question ties into the atmosphere/expectation. Trying to understand what happens to the expectation of formality once a jacket or 2 or 3 or 7 is removed and how that affects the taste of the food.

I'm paying the same (more than some, less than some) for my experience as everyone else, so I am entitled to enjoy just as everyone else. From what I am hearing privately (and in other forums), the jacket rule is not enforced, therefore, I do not need to worry about packing same.

That's all. Didn't know people would get so nasty:eek:

Dress codes is a totally different subject and repeatedly pops up on these threads. Many of us who believe that passengers should follow and be respectful of Regent's policies would prefer there be NO formal nights. We would be happy with Country Club Casual every day! Carrying/packing suits, ties, tuxedos or whatever is becoming more and more difficult with the airline regulations.

However, until the policy changes (keeping fingers crossed), we will adhere to the dress code. I'm not sure anyone would really want to risk not wearing a suit on Formal nights or a jacket on Informal nights. There is a chance you could get away with it -- on the other hand, we have seen people asked to leave and dine in Portofino's or La Veranda (depending upon the ship). It depends who sees you -- or perhaps just the mood of one of the manager that night.

Is it certain that jackets are required for men in Prime 7 on country club casual nights? I ask because on our Mariner cruise last November, Signatures had a jacket every night requirement while Latitudes had no such policy. We ate in Latitudes twice. Both nights were country club casual nights and there were very few jackets in evidence. The description of the restaurants on the ship found in Passages for embarkation day only listed a dress code for Signatures. This suggested that the dress code for Latitudes was not informal as a minimum. (See, http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2105367490101716102QwPoHV?vhost=travel)

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'll have a jacket on my Alaska cruise in September so I'll comply with the dress code in effect. I'm just curious as to the actual dress code in Prime 7.

Dave

No, you are correct, that was not my original question (which was honestly asked to gather information). I appreciate the useful information.

The jacket removal question ties into the atmosphere/expectation. Trying to understand what happens to the expectation of formality once a jacket or 2 or 3 or 7 is removed and how that affects the taste of the food.

I'm paying the same (more than some, less than some) for my experience as everyone else, so I am entitled to enjoy just as everyone else. From what I am hearing privately (and in other forums), the jacket rule is not enforced, therefore, I do not need to worry about packing same.

That's all. Didn't know people would get so nasty:eek:

The jacket rule is STONGLY enforced in Signatures, even on first and last nights.

Since you are going to Alaska, it will be CCC in Compass Rose every night. Although Latitudes did not have a coat requirement, it seems, from reports, that Prime 7 might.

The jacket rule is STONGLY enforced in Signatures, even on first and last nights.

Since you are going to Alaska, it will be CCC in Compass Rose every night. Although Latitudes did not have a coat requirement, it seems, from reports, that Prime 7 might.

Both Signatures and Prime 7 have a jacket requirement. They are strictly enforced. IMO, it is definitely worth the trouble to pack a sports jacket. No one would want to miss out on Prime 7 or Signatures.

So from what I'm reading here, a jacket is required in two of the restaurants. Does that include a tie, or is a jacket with open neck sport shirt OK?

Also, a tux isn't required for formal nights? Will a sport coat and tie work? I hate ties!

Ashgoodman,

From my reading, both Signatures and Prime 7 require jackets (no tie) -- equivalent to the informal (semi-formal) dress code.

Tuxes are not required on formal nights, but dark suits (tie & jacket) are highly recommended (just this shy of a suit/tie requirement).

Archived