Book Direct or through TA?

cdamion

I have never cruised before. Are there advantages to booking with a TA as opposed to directly with Carnival (besides some TAs charging fees). Is there something either one offers that the other doesn't? I travel fairly frequently and very rarely use a TA for my land-based trips because I can usually find the same or better prices than them.

Thanks for your feedback.

For all my cruises, I booked my own air. I was always able to find a better rate, and more convenient flights than what the cruiseline found. However, for my upcoming Transatlantic cruise, I'm using Carnival air. Since I only need a one-way ticket, I believe Carnival can find a rate almost as good as I can. The added bonus is, Carnival is responsible for getting me there. I know there is never a guarantee when it comes to airlines, but I feel better knowing Carnival is aware of where I am.

Have a fabulous cruise!!!

For my last five cruises I went with a TA, this cruise I went with Carnival. I like to monitor the rates and find it much easier to call Carnival than to have to try to track down my TA. I also found that the TA was not really interested in helping me when I needed her, I felt like she said she did things like called Carnival for rate drops when in fact she really didn't. I like to be able to pick up the phone and call Carnival and get an answer right away :)

We booked thru a TA twice, and had so much trouble getting in touch with them, that we now book exclusively thru CCL!:)

Once they have your booking #, you can just call the 800# and ANYONE will be able to help you with anything you'd like..:p

It's nice being able to deal 'direct'... Much quicker and there is never a fee, unless one uses the 'new' Early Saver program, but they will explain that upfront!:D (I have never booked the new program)..

Have done both. Although sometimes, I find it easier to get rates and hidden deals from TAs. I never had a problem. But, I think it helps if you know them on a personal level because you know they are actually invested in your vacation.

I must be doing someting wrong. ;)

I've only been on one cruise, but I've booked two more. In all three cases my TA was cheaper than calling a PvP. I call three or four travel agents and Carnival before I book.

Is there something I'm missing? A secret handshake?

I have only used a travel agent once. They did get us $50 obc, but other then that they took a long time to get backto us with answeres. Having PVP with carnival was much easier cause you get what you need right then and dont have to wait on the middle man to call carnival and ask the same questions.

For all my cruises, I booked my own air. I was always able to find a better rate, and more convenient flights than what the cruiseline found. However, for my upcoming Transatlantic cruise, I'm using Carnival air. Since I only need a one-way ticket, I believe Carnival can find a rate almost as good as I can. The added bonus is, Carnival is responsible for getting me there. I know there is never a guarantee when it comes to airlines, but I feel better knowing Carnival is aware of where I am.

Have a fabulous cruise!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thank you for the input. I got a couple of quotes for the cruise from TAs and they had a small discount off of booking direct, but I had difficulty reaching a human by phone to ask questions.

When I called the PVP, they were very helpful, did not hard sell more expensive cabins at all (the opposite actually).

Based on my initial experiences, I certainly would prefer to deal with CCL directly. If a problem does arise, I do not want to be in a position where I have a TA and CCL pointing fingers. Also, I would much rather deal with CCL directly for questions, etc. rather than trying to go through a TA who I have already had difficulty reaching just to book the trip.

Thanks again for the feedback!

For my last five cruises I went with a TA, this cruise I went with Carnival. I like to monitor the rates and find it much easier to call Carnival than to have to try to track down my TA. I also found that the TA was not really interested in helping me when I needed her, I felt like she said she did things like called Carnival for rate drops when in fact she really didn't. I like to be able to pick up the phone and call Carnival and get an answer right away :)

We book either through a PVP or through carnival.com. It's easier. If you need something, they can help you right away. I am booked on a CC group cruise on the Dream tho & it is through a TA because of the group perks.

Archived