Looks to be Official.... Cuba!

maxamuus

I just want a damn cigar. Is that too much to ask Mr. President? Please? With cherries on top? All I want is a freaking good cigar and to not be breaking the law. Thanks. :)

Not all Cuban cigars are 'freaking good'...

Many Cuban cigars are machine rolled from less than desirable leaves but if you find a REAL Cuban they're generally quite good!!

:)

I don't want to give $$$ to any government including the US. I especially don't want to support a party that lost touch with what America is about and wants (Hint - they lost the last election).

Traveling to Cuba will put the majority of money spent in the hands of the people, not the government.

I would think the US auto industry, ruined by unions and mis-management, would be delighted to supply parts to the junker cars.

We sell rice to China and Russia, why not Cuba? Hell, we even have diplomatic connections to the Taliban.

China is now developing Cuba's offshore oil fields because US companies, 90 miles away, were prohibited from doing so. Where do you think the Chinese got the technology from?

The US only does business with communist and oppressive countries that are capable of challenging the US. Cuba is no threat to the US.

FYI, The unemployment rate in Cuba is 1.8%.

"Traveling to Cuba will put the majority of money spent in the hands of the people, not the government."

Amazing! Does anyone really, honestly, truly BELIEVE THIS??????? This is the most naive statement I have ever read! UGH!

Doesn't sound very enticing to me.. but whatever..

Plus- The Cubans have a say in this also..They may not want us there lol

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20090413/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_cuba_american_tourism_1 <<===> read this! ;)

I have also read in other online articles that the food is not in good supply.. and neither is toilet paper

Barbados (and other Caribbean island) Tourism Authorities are worried that when Cuba opens

it'll suck away half our business --but from what I just read at the URL supplied above

I'm not the least bit worried! :D :D

A country with as many (run-down?) hotel rooms as Detroit? -Detroit? ...

How's that gonna work? -- It isn't!

There's going to be thousands of dis-satisfied American visitors

after their first un-exciting visit to Cuba!

but go right ahead and rush in where angels fear to tread.

Our other-island tourism product is safe for the foreseeable future.

It'll take ten years minimum for Cuba to get up-to-scratch, capacity-wise

Sounds to me like the wise U.S. traveller would hold off for quite a few years

until things sort themselves out!! ;)

"Traveling to Cuba will put the majority of money spent in the hands of the people, not the government."

Amazing! Does anyone really, honestly, truly BELIEVE THIS??????? This is the most naive statement I have ever read! UGH!

Are you one of the news media's yellow journalists?

I get off the ship. I buy some food from a street vendor. How much of that money goes to the government?

street-vendor.jpg

Selling homemade candy on the streets of Havana.

I find a flea market. I buy some crap. How much of that money goes to the government?

3181902125_764290d1ed.jpg?v=0

I walk along the malecon. I buy nothing. How much of that money goes to the government?

1767976-The_Malecon-Havana.jpg

Even Castro wasn't thrilled with the thought of cruise ships.

"In May 2005, Castro lashed out at cruise ships, saying "floating hotels come, floating restaurants, floating theaters, floating diversions visit countries to leave their trash, their empty cans and papers for a few miserable cents.""

Those to the right of Attila the Hun should get with the program. If Castro doesn't want cruisers, then it is your DUTY to cruise there.

Come on moderators.

This thread, which was based on an inaccurate Original Post has gone far enough astray.

Lock it or make it go away !

Not only has it been hijacked, but it's been flown to Russia, China, and a few other places I can't recall.

Hey! Freedom of Speech!

As probably the only Cuban-American on this thread, I'm really enjoying reading all this. Laughing, sometimes cringing! But definitely enjoying it.

http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1008033&GT1=41000

talks a bit about about cruisers visiting the island of Cuba...interesting!

Here's another article...the comments just blew me away! Yikes!!

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/04/10/cuba-tourism.html

On and BTW....OFF TOPIC Quote NolaAlive "

China is now developing Cuba's offshore oil fields because US companies, 90 miles away, were prohibited from doing so" This is NOT true. Just wanted to set it straight. :)

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/are-chinese-drilling-oil-coast-florida-both-side-question

as a person who has family in cuba, I can say that opening Cuba as a port accessible to americans can mean a million things for the people there.. yes it is a fact that american tourism to cuba will provide the entire country including government more money. but the benefit to the poeple would be tremendous.. more jobs and more money.. think of it if you lived there.. the view is different that way..

On and BTW....OFF TOPIC Quote NolaAlive "

China is now developing Cuba's offshore oil fields because US companies, 90 miles away, were prohibited from doing so" This is NOT true. Just wanted to set it straight. :)

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/are-chinese-drilling-oil-coast-florida-both-side-question

That was when the republicans were trying to justify drilling off of Florida and Cheney once again was caught telling lies.

FE_DA_0090303cuba.jpg

Cuban workers extract petroleum in the north coast of Havana. (Zoila Amelia Tejeda/WPN)

How about something from this century with actual facts?

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/energy/2009/03/03/why-cubas-dreams-of-major-oil-discoveries-might-come-true.html

and there was a contract signed

http://havanajournal.com/business/entry/cuba_oil_cubapetroleo_signs_deal_with_china_oil_sinopec/

Doesnt sound very enticing to me.. but whatever..

Plus- The Cubans have a say in this also..They may not want us there lol

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20090413/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_cuba_american_tourism_1

I have also read in other online articles that the food is not in good supply.. and neither is toilet paper

C'mon, live a little. You want everywhere to be like Peoria?

Look how much money we give to Saudi Arabia and guess who was flying the planes that crashed into the Towers and Pentagon.

Dave

After reading all posts up to 7:03 CDT, I found this one the most profound. And to add, in Saudi Arabia, our partner in peace, several girls died about 7 years ago in their burning school because they were not dressed correctly to evacuate the building.

I would go to Cuba. Maybe openning it up would make change. I'm thinking of scenes from Godfather Part II. Looks kind of interesting. Think Superman is still there?

Archived