Corkage charge on Sun Princess

We are presently on the Sun princess (just passed thru Torres Straight on way to Darwin)

As Rugbypopsie said, no point in incurring a corkage charge when dining room wine charges are not bad.

At our last port (Cooktown) I purchased 2 bottles of Red and two bottles of Bubbles from the Bottle Shop in town. No problems taking in board and these are only for consumption in our stateroom. Wanted to take a good cask of red on as well but there now is an odd law in Cooktown that forbids the sale of cask wine before 6.00pm.:confused: The bottle shop guy was apologetic but said he couldn't discriminate. Hrrumph

Send review later

cheers

Flipper hope you are enjoying life on board SP. Look forward to your review.

Yes on SP round OZ, we purchased a bottle of wine each night from list, around AUD$25.

Just keep your BYO for your cabin or on deck sailways.

Hi Jane

They say there is a "limit" but I have never seen it enforced.

Just got back on board in Darwin. We did a 2 hour city tour in a limo which was very personalised and for 4 of us cost was only $180 = $45 each which is much better value than a ships tour.

Anyway, we were able to vist a bottle shop (drive thru...try that on a bus) on the way back to the ship and I took on board 3 bottles of bubbles and 2 x casks of red. No questions asked - just fed thru the xray machines and they were more concerned that I had my mobile phone in my pocket.

So in essence the limit is "how much can you carry"

Yes Les....having great time ...weather has been fantastic

cheers

Thanks Flipper

Just as well I can carry a lot !! We are leaving from our home town (no flights) so was going to Dan Murphys for a case or two ...

Have a fabulous cruise, love reading all about it. Glad to hear the weather has been kind to you. We're on SP 17 June ... return her in good nick.

Jane

Hi Jane,

Flipper did well with his drinks. We weren't game to try it.

On the Sun Princess late last year we saw quite a few bottles of wine (and many spirits) confiscated. The cases had been x-rayed and were put aside for collection. The cases had to be opened in the presence of security staff, when there was a "please explain" followed by an embarrassed handing over of a bottle or two.

We took a 2 litre cask packed carefully in one of our large cases. Later I realised would could have had a 2 llitre cask in each case, plus another 2 litres in our hand luggage. :):)

Evon.

Hi, I'm Kim, an Aussie who has only cruised with Royal Caribbean, departing from the USA ( am cruising Mariner of the Seas in September from LA) and I had NO idea you could take alcohol onboard P & O cruises. When you board Royal Caribbean, bringing alcohol from home is not allowed, if you're caught, its confiscated. We are looking at sailing P & O next year and this makes it just that little bit more attractive. That and the fact there are no expensive overseas flights involved! Are all meals included, and are gratuities paid to staff on a ship leaving Australian waters?:D Thanks.

Hi, I'm Kim, an Aussie who has only cruised with Royal Caribbean, departing from the USA ( am cruising Mariner of the Seas in September from LA) and I had NO idea you could take alcohol onboard P & O cruises. When you board Royal Caribbean, bringing alcohol from home is not allowed, if you're caught, its confiscated. We are looking at sailing P & O next year and this makes it just that little bit more attractive. That and the fact there are no expensive overseas flights involved! Are all meals included, and are gratuities paid to staff on a ship leaving Australian waters?:D Thanks.

No alcohol can be taken onto P & O ships, only onto Princess ships.

All meals are included, although there are a couple of speciality food outlets that attract a charge (steak house etc.)

Gratuities are set at $7.50 pp per day. You are free to tip extra or to reduce the automatic tip or take it off totally. Go to the Purser's Office and fill out a form to vary the automatic tip. I am only advising this, not wanting to start a debate about tipping. It is up to the individual passenger. :):)

Evon.

Archived