Have you viewed Gatun Locks, Panama from Land Tour?

JoeO

Has anyone visited the Gatun Locks at the Panama Canal from the land observation facility?

I've heard that there are 79 steps to the observation area.

Is it possible to view (and photograph) some part of the locks and passing ships from ground level and enjoy the experience?

Any insight will be appreciated.

Joe O

All of the ship's photographers take their pictures from ground level (albeit they are sometimes in areas you will not have access to), so you are in the same relative position as they are, if you are not able to climb the steps to the observation area. There is *certainly* no reason why you would (or even could) miss the action by remaining at the ground level. The scale is just so colossal. Going to the top of the steps just takes you to a covered observation area which is something on the order of 'eye level' with the ships' bridge as it passes through the locks.

Also...I keep hearing that it's 79 steps, but as I remember it, it was only about 3 stories.

Yes there are many steps to go up at the Gatun locks observation tower. When we werer there they did not want anyone to stay at the bottom and there was not an area that allowed for an unobstructed view from the ground level.

IMO if you cannot climb the steps than I would suggest you consider an alternative tour.

you actually get the same view (just in reverse) from the deck of your ship when you passed thru the lock. This was a tour I was very disappointed in.

If you are going on a Canal partial transit, I would most definitely skip the tour you mentioned. My favorites are Ocean to Ocean, the Executive Dome Train Ride, and the Emberra Indian Village. We visited the Indian Village on a cruise that did not transit...it docked in Colon and we took the tour from there. Also took the tour you mentioned.....the stairs are difficult and not much to see from the ground level. The other tours are from Gatun Lake where you are tendered to shore.

If you are going on a Canal partial transit, I would most definitely skip the tour you mentioned. My favorites are Ocean to Ocean, the Executive Dome Train Ride, and the Emberra Indian Village. We visited the Indian Village on a cruise that did not transit...it docked in Colon and we took the tour from there. Also took the tour you mentioned.....the stairs are difficult and not much to see from the ground level. The other tours are from Gatun Lake where you are tendered to shore.

I totally agree. We did the locks tour after being tendered ashore. There are many steps and you are not allowed to straggle behind the group or stay at the bottom of the stairs. The only thing you get by taking the tour that is different from viewing from on-board is the tour guide's narration. The visit to the Embarra Indian Village however was wonderful and I highly recommend it.

Thank you all for your input.

I should have explained further that we have sailed into the lake on better days but now my wife is wheelchair bound and we are not going thru the locks but docking at Colon.

My plan was to hire a private tour at the dock and take in several sights.

Maybe I will anyway.

Thanks again.

Joe O

Joe -- The tours I mentioned would all be difficult with a wheelchair. To get to the Indian Village, you must board a small boat and the terrain there is rocky and bumpy. I would suggest asking the folks at the excursion desk when you board the ship for suggestions. They are very, very helpful. If all else fails, you can go ashore to a shopping area wherever the ships docks....either in Colon or the other pier (name escapes me). Both shopping areas are quite nice and they always have some local entertainment.

Thanks again for careing.

We're sailing on Celebrity Summit which docks at the new (about 3-4 year old) pier/shopping port called "Colon 2000".

There's an official Panamanian licensed taxi and tours desk where one can hire rides or tours independent of the cruise line.

An alternative is to do it between yourself and the driver, negotiating your own rates. I'd recommend going thru the official desk even tho' it will cost a little more. It would still be less expensive than the ship's tours and guarenteed safer than doing it alone.

Joe O

Katy....that's why I'm doing it at the "Colon 2000" taxi desk.

All we will do is contract for a self-designed tour of the Gatun Locks, some previous U.S. installations and a few other historical sights.

I think it will work out OK.

Joe O

Here's a picture of that Observation building you are talking about I think. It's the building on the right side with the red roof right across from the gates(locks). Looks to be like someone said though, only about 3 stories high. Don't know for sure but I bet they even have an elevator in that building. Hope everything works out. We just back about a month ago. Awesome cruise, very relaxing, the 14 days spolied us.

219124354gkgqBP_ph.jpg

another picture closer but not centered, it's on the right side of the picture below

219124687cngSRk_ph.jpg

Katy....that's why I'm doing it at the "Colon 2000" taxi desk.

All we will do is contract for a self-designed tour of the Gatun Locks, some previous U.S. installations and a few other historical sights.

I think it will work out OK.

Joe O

Joe -- One thing I have to ask. Is this a partial transit cruise or do you dock at Colon and not go through the locks? If it's a partial transit, after passengers disembark for tendering at Gatun Lake, you will stay on board and go back through the Gatun Locks and not dock until about 4 p.m. This will only give you a short time for an excursion. Also on a partial transit, sometimes the ship docks at Cristobal, not Colon. Hope you find the right thing for you and your wife.

Katy....We're not going into the canal at all.

Did that once and it was the best.

Regards, Joe O

I feel better about that. I thought perhaps you were going through the canal and your plans would have been in vain. Well, this is good. Have a great time!!!! By the way, we love St. Augustine and will be up there soon to see the beautiful Christmas displays!

Archived