New Orleans cruising

avabrooke

The Carnival Fantasy was great, went on it twice. Had a great time. The food was very good, the entertainment was good, and there was always something fun going on.

The NCL Spirit sucked!! (That's my opinion and the other 48 people that were in my group.) The food was horrible, unless you go to the "specialty" restraunts and pay the surcharge, anywhere from $15.00 to $20.00 per person. The entertainment was ok, not too bad. There's nothing going on at the pool area. The band was horrible! I'll stop there, let's just say that my group and I enjoyed the Fantasy and leave it at that. Also, we are getting the Triumph in November, it will be taking the place of the Fantasy.

I really liked the NCL Spirit - especially the itinerary. It's a very nice ship and I thought the food was good.

There are many things Carnival can learn from NCL, it it appears they have learned one with the new itineraries for Triumph once it repos to New Orleans.

The Fantasy is fine.

It is decent size ship. Food and staff are good. Cozumel is a fun port. (not crazy about Progreso)

As stated, the Truimph is coming this fall. It is about half again larger. We have not sailed on it.

The Fantasy is headed to Mobile, which would be a closer port for you.

But again, that all happens this Fall.

Parking at both ports is convenient. New Orleans hotels charge around $20 for parking...where the Mobile hotels do not.

Just some comparisons.....

Depending on the type of crowd you want on board....

if you want less kids, cruise when school is in session.

The Fantasy only does 4 or 5 day cruises....both can draw more of a party crowd.

Oddly enough, Atlanta is actually a little closer to TAMPA than New Orleans according to Mapquest. Tampa has the Legend that sails out of there if you want a 7 day cruise.

Just sailed out of New Orleans for the second time. The first time was years ago on the Conquest. This time was on the Fantasy.

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Fantasy. Friendliest staff I've had on any Carnival ship so far. Loved the recent upgrades to that class of ship (I've sailed on her sister ships so was familiar with the general layout).

Stayed at the Drury Inn and Suites on Poydras St. They have a cruise package that you can usually get for $99.00 a night with FREE secure parking while gone on the ship. Promo Code: NOLACRUISE or #307865

Free Hot Breakfast daily and Free "Cocktail" hour in the evening. Cab fare from the hotel to the port was a flat $12.00. The Drury is just down the street from Mother's (quite a dining experience...LOL!!) and within easy walking distance to the aquarium, Harrah's, French Quarter, etc... It fills fast.

New Orleans

Fantasy (last sailing Nov 5th, 2009)

NCL Spirit (last sailing Apr 2009/resumes Nov 8th, 2009)

Triumph (first sailing Nov 10, 2009)

Mobile

Holiday (last sailing Nov 2nd, 2009)

Fantasy (first sailing Nov 10th, 2009)

The Triumph and the Fantasy will both be doing 4/5/7 night sailings in 2010 so you will have a lot of choices to choose from.

The Fantasy will be going to

4-night Cozumel

5-night Progreso/Cozumel

5-night Calica/Cozumel

7-night Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel

The Triumph will be going

4-night Cozumel

5-night Cozumel/Progreso

7-night Key West/Nassau/Freeport

7-night Belize/Roatan/Cozumel

The NCL Spirit will be going

7-night Belize/Guatemala/Costa Maya/Cozumel

Dave

Just sailed out of New Orleans for the second time. The first time was years ago on the Conquest. This time was on the Fantasy.

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Fantasy. Friendliest staff I've had on any Carnival ship so far. Loved the recent upgrades to that class of ship (I've sailed on her sister ships so was familiar with the general layout).

Stayed at the Drury Inn and Suites on Poydras St. They have a cruise package that you can usually get for $99.00 a night with FREE secure parking while gone on the ship. Promo Code: NOLACRUISE or #307865

Free Hot Breakfast daily and Free "Cocktail" hour in the evening. Cab fare from the hotel to the port was a flat $12.00. The Drury is just down the street from Mother's (quite a dining experience...LOL!!) and within easy walking distance to the aquarium, Harrah's, French Quarter, etc... It fills fast.

We had this same hote/parking deal at the Hilton several years ago but it did end up costing like $20.00 ~ were there any other charges added to your $99.00 (besides tax)?

We had this same hote/parking deal at the Hilton several years ago but it did end up costing like $20.00 ~ were there any other charges added to your $99.00 (besides tax)?

We stayed at the Drury Inn - no hidden charges. Just be sure and let them know that you are leaving your car so they can give you a pass - we parked there for 3 days while we were staying there without the pass, no problem but I didn't feel comfortable leaving the car without checking at the front desk and it did need a pass in the windshield. My car was there for New Years Eve so it was safe even though I questioned how safe it was when we got there :)

The popcorn machine broke while we were staying there and we were disappointed they didn't offer anything else. (Even chips)

If you get motion sick, just beware that the long journey down the Mississippi can be rocky (rolling).

We live in Atlanta and want to take a cruise out of New Orleans. How is the ship that sails from there? We thought it would be an easy port to get to. Any other ideas?

The Fantasy sails from NOLA and she's lovely.

The ship has the highest customer satisfaction rating in the fleet due in no small part to her Master... Captain Scalla. WONDERFUL guy!!

In November, the Triumph will replace her and the Fantasy will reposition to Mobile, Alabama which will be even closer for you!!!

:)

New Orleans

Fantasy (last sailing Nov 5th, 2009)

NCL Spirit (last sailing Apr 2009/resumes Nov 8th, 2009)

Triumph (first sailing Nov 10, 2009)

Mobile

Holiday (last sailing Nov 2nd, 2009)

Fantasy (first sailing Nov 10th, 2009)

The Triumph and the Fantasy will both be doing 4/5/7 night sailings in 2010 so you will have a lot of choices to choose from.

The Fantasy will be going to

4-night Cozumel

5-night Progreso/Cozumel

5-night Calica/Cozumel

7-night Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel

The Triumph will be going

4-night Cozumel

5-night Cozumel/Progreso

7-night Key West/Nassau/Freeport

7-night Belize/Roatan/Cozumel

The NCL Spirit will be going

7-night Belize/Guatemala/Costa Maya/Cozumel

Dave

Hey Dave! Could you point me in the direction for info on the 7 night Fantasy run out of Mobile? I know on Nov 10th it will be a 6 night but have not seen anything except the 4/5 night out of Mobile.

Thanks!

Another vote for the Fantasy - I'll be sailing on my 9th Fantasy cruise in 3 days and can't wait - and I'll miss her when she moves to Mobile. The 5 day itineraries provide a wonderful opportunity to enjoy New Orleans for 2 or 3 days before or after your cruise. If you drive down, I do recommend the Drury Inn, as the cruise parking option is excellent, and it's within walking distance to the French Quarter, Riverwalk area, and streetcars to take you uptown to the zoo, antique shopping, and Garden District.

We'll also be sailing the Triumph in November and I'm sure we'll enjoy that as well. But I will miss the Fantasy nonetheless!

I tried using the code and still got a much higher rate. Is there a trick to getting the $99.00 rate?

I tried using the code and still got a much higher rate. Is there a trick to getting the $99.00 rate?

I noticed your March 2010 sailing date and remembered seeing this on the New Orleans board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=966666

I just made reservations @ the Drury Inn & Suites for March 20, 2010 and the going rate is $209.00 for a standard room, $259.99 for a suite due to NCAA tournament being the same weekend.

I also tried to get a reservation for my sons who will be in New Orleans on March 13, 2010 and had the same problem due to an Orthopaedic Surgeon's convention in town that weekend. They would like to stay @ the Drury Inn to take advantage of the cruise, park & stay package, but they only had suites available and that is too pricy for them.

Carnival Fantasy.........Leaving this Thursday, 4/23, out of NOLA. This will be our 1st trip on Fantasy. We sailed on Sensation last May and it was fine. I believe these two are in the same class of ships for Carnival.

My Mom sailed on Fantasy last Sept and she said it was fine and I understand that Fantasy has been in dry dock since since her trip so everything should be fine.

We are staying at the Drury Inn in NOLA. I just called their reservation line and asked for the NOLA Cruise Special and got our room for $99 a night plus free parking during our cruise. This is the best deal I could find at the time I booked.

We chose to go on Fantasy from NOLA because we can easily drive to NOLA. The other option was to sail from Mobile on one of Carnival's other ships that had not been dry docked in a while.

I have several links to hotels in New Orleans. I cant decide if Id rather get a cheap hotel and then park at the port (Im only on a 4 day) or the Drury where I have to take a cab each way, which cuts into any savings.

http://www.neworleanscvb.com/static/index.cfm/contentID/505/sectionID/2/subsectionID/0

Also, hotwire has hotels starting about $55 and $59 for my date in Dec. Earlier dates on hotwire are as low as $49 for a 3 star hotel.

We loved the Fantasy and all were very friendly leaving out of new Orleans. We will do it again when the Triumph comes, just want something different this trip.

As far as New Orleans, it was not our desire to do a lot while we were there but that was just us. Our reason for being their each time was to cruise.

Dh prefers to stay at a close hotel and park at the port. That way when it's time to leave we have our car there and can go right then. We booked the Hampton, it's right down from the port and we've always had good luck with them.

WE absolutely love New Orleans, next time, I would love to spend a couple of days before or after. We got a great price at the Marriot for our cruise, it was walking distance to Bourbon and Canal St, etc. WE also enjoyed the Fantasy, but would even vacation in NO without cruising. I found the parking in NO the easiest yet, with Port Canaveral at a close 2nd.

Archived