If You get the Noro/walk Virus?

jan can

Do you get charged for seeing the doctor?

Do you get charged for the drugs?

Are you given a refund for the days you are in quaratine?

A friend was quarantined while he was on a cruise in Austrailia. He wasn't charged for the doctor or medicine and both he and his wife, who never became ill, were given a refund for the four days they were in lock down.

Does this policy apply with HAL?

Do you get charged for the drugs? [

A friend was quarantined while he was on a cruise in Austrailia. He wasn't charged for the doctor or medicine and both he and his wife, who never became ill, were given a refund for the four days they were in lock down.

Yes

Yes

No

No

I know none of these answers are what you wanted to hear, but that's the way it is.

On the Rotterdam in 2006 (South America and Antarctica) there was no charge for the doctor visit, no charge for the injection of drugs, my cancelled shore excursion was refunded and I was given over $200 per day for the 2 days I spent in quarantine. I was impressed with HAL's response ... I honestly wasn't expecting anything except a free doctor's visit.

I think reimbursement may depend on the ship, the itinerary, the number of passengers who are ill, etc.

Our cruise started out on Code Red and yes, they said at least the initial doctors visit related to the bug were no charge. Obviously this was the policy to encourage people to report the illness instead of hiding it and possibly infecting more people. So like sail said.. no carved in stone policy apparently.

I was sick on the Volendam. I did not pay for anything. I only saw a nurse not the doctor. She gave me medicine, called me everyday as well as the front desk. Someone else checked to make sure I had all my fluids and brought me anything I needed to drink. I also received a credit for the time they quarantined me to our room. As soon as they lifted the quaranatine somebody had come in our room after I left and cleaned it with something as there was a dampness on the carpet and bedding. Believe me it needed it! When we disembarked we were asked to leave our cabin early by a man in a space suit like uniform.

Cindy

Do you get charged for the drugs?

I don't think there is a 'carved in stone' policy. I think it varies by circumstances.

As sail states there is no set policy, as you can see from subsequent posts..Here's a completely different outcome:

In 2003 we were on a 7 day cruise, on the Maasdam, with two other couples..The first night, before dinner, we all met for Happy Hour in the Crows Nest..One of the ladies joined us for happy hour, but never had a drink, which was very unusual;)...She said she was not feeling well..When we got into Half Moon Cay the next day she advised us that she & her DH were quarantined... Her illness was reported by the Room Steward.. She was called down to see the Doctor & both of them were quarantined for two days..Room service delivered all their meals..The decision was made by the Dr. & Captain Schoonderbeek, to disembark them in Grand Cayman, (the first port of call) on day three..HAL booked them in a hotel for the night, paid for their plane fare to Ft. Lauderdale the following day, & gave them a full refund for that cruise...In addition, HAL gave them a 50% discount on their next HAL cruise.. Our friends, used that discount on another cruise almost a year later..

However, don't remember if they were charged for the Dr.'s visit or not, but I think not...

Our Friend has always insisted that she picked up something in the terminal just before boarding..;) However, we all suspect she actually picked it up some place else as we don't believe the incubation period for that kind of virus/flu is that fast...Also, we've all often cruised together on our own private sailboats & they never failed to partake of Happy Hour before!..LOL;)

Cheers...:)Betty

I'm sorry to hear they were disembarked, Betty. If they were compliant with the quarantine, I think it wrong of HAL to disembark them. Non-compliant guests, absolutely should be made to leave the ship burt they should have been permitted to remain in their cabins IMO.

Seems like their response is based on the situation. I know a couple that got quarantined for 3 days, no refund, no discount. I really think they need to be more consistent with that policy. Not giving discounts really creates a huge incentive to try to hide the sickness.

I got the virus on a cruise couple years agfo. It showed up on day 7 of a 10 day cruise so I know I picked it up on one of the islands. I was the only one on the ship that got sick.

Talked to the nurse on duty and told her symptoms and that Ruth and I are both Nurses and would call if we needed anything. We quartined ourselves for the last couple days of the cruise and made sure the Neptune staff new the problems so they could have the room really cleaned after we got off.

On way home (driving) spiked temperature to 104 and went to er where Ruth worked and was admitted to hospital for several days on IV antibiotics.

Did not push HAL for compensation as we kew it was the luck of the draw and not HAL's fault that I got sick.

Ruth & Jim

I'm sorry to hear they were disembarked, Betty. If they were compliant with the quarantine, I think it wrong of HAL to disembark them. Non-compliant guests, absolutely should be made to leave the ship burt they should have been permitted to remain in their cabins IMO.

Sail agree, but that was in 2003 & both were in their 80's at that time...Perhaps the Dr. was not happy with the illness or they may have had other health issues..We never really questioned them very much...We only waved to them when they left the ship..By the time we got home they were both fine..Fortunately HAL was very nice to them & gave them a full refund plus a 50% off on their next cruise, so they seemed to be placated, but they were disappointed in not being able to stay with us...We all had cruised in the Bahamas for years on our individual boats..Also that was before the pre-boarding questionnaire about our health was the norm..

Cheers..:)Betty

Archived