VERY motion sickness prone AND breastfeeding

mevers

So my dilema - I get REALLY motion sick. NO swing sets and I generally have to be the driver if the car trip is longer than 30 minutes. I have been on small boats and it is BAD. I try to sleep on any ferry trip, even the 15 min. ones. (Interestingly, I can handle roller coasters though).

I am also breastfeeding an infant who will be around 10 months when we sail and still want to be able to breastfeed for ease and comfort on the cruise.

I went ahead and got the transderm scop patches as they are compatible with breastfeeding. Bonine, Dramamine, etc. are NOT recommended - more gets through the breastmilk.

However, I went through the boards and the side-effects from the patch seem awful!

Anyone had a similar experience and what did you do?

I am really surprised that the patch is safe for breastfeeding. I know that the other options, since they are all decongestants, would dry out or diminish your supply. So they are not good.

You are right, I have seen more side effects with that patch (and some of them kind of scary like effected vision) than with the others.

What about ginger pills? Would that effect supply?

I took ginger pills when pregnant and they took the edge off of morning sickness. I don't think they interfere with milk production but that would be a good question for your doctor.

DH uses the patch when we cruise and hasn't had any bad side effects. They do make him thirsty, but none of the vision blurring or other weird side effects other people have reported. And it's way better than him being asleep the whole cruise like he is with dramamine and bonine (and he also ends up still being motion sick). I didn't realize it was safe to use during nursing, that's interesting.

For me the patch was horrible. I got blurred vision and felt dizzy and just felt so out of it. I got more nauseous from the patch than I did from the cruise itself! I took it off after 1 day. You could ask your doctor about Zofran. I know I was given that for morning sickness and used it on this last sailing when I was pregnant. Im not sure if its safe for breastfeeding but you could ask.

Dramamine is a catagory L2, which is safe for breastfeeding. The active ingredient is the same as what is in benadryl. If your Dr doesn't have it, call your local LLL and have them reference Dr Hale's book. It is by far the best reference for this type of information.

As for the side effect of drying up supply, it would act similar to taking a cold medicine. You can contradict that by increasing your water and protien intake, eating extra oatmeal or other lactogenic foods, drinking mother's milk tea or in a bad case, taking fenugeek tablets. Unless you are facing supply issues already, it shouldn't be a problem. Just come prepared.

Have fun on the cruise!!!!

How often do you breastfeed?

When my daughter was down to breastfeeding just a few times a day, I took some steroids for a truly miserable case of poison ivy. I was a couple years ago so I can't rememer exactly what we did, but my doctor helped me figure out a medication/nursing schedule that limited my child exposure to the medicine. I think the medicine I took at night and then breastfed just once a day while I was on the medicine - 12 hours after taking the meds. Or maybe I fed her twice, 12 hours after taking the meds and then just before taking them again? Sorry I really cant remember. In any case, it depends on the meds and your situation and if your own doctor isn't helpful, maybe you can find a doctor that is able to help.

I want to add that once we were on vacation and my daughter had a severe case I think was a norovirus. All she could keep down for several days was breastmilk. I'm pretty sure if she hadn't still been nursing, I would have had to take her to the hospital for IV fluids. She was only nursing once a day before she got sick, but when she was sick I was able to let her nurse pretty much round the clock. Breastmilk is an amazing thing to have available when you are traveling.

Thanks guys. I think I may just bite the bullet and try one patch at home ahead of time to see the side effects. Then I may have to see how sick I get on the boat.

I may try the giner pills again but I had no luck with those, the sea-bands and MANY other things when prego. Just had to get used to puking :( (personal tip - eat ice cream ahead of time though and it helps A LOT).

Transderm medicines have an "extended release", thus generally a lower drug exposure then pills. Scolpemine (sic) is also a little different then the other meds because it is not an antihistamine.

I was also REALLY surprised when I read that it was compatible with breastfeeding but bonine was a no-no???

Obviously, with a 10 month old, I have an established supply so I hope to keep it a few more months as I wean. I will definitely drink more, etc. Thanks for that tip!

I would love to move the cruise to when my kiddos are a bit older (eating all solids) but the in-laws booked and paid for the cruise and can only do it THIS May - so my dilema is compounded.

Thanks for the tips and experiences. You guys are great.

how ever did you get talked into cruising if you get that motion sick? Oh well...you did. The ginger pills are supposed to be good as are the sea bands- the electronic ones, not the $10 things you get at Walmart or wherever. They are pricey ($125 or so) but are supposed to work. Hopefully your cabin is low and midship- if it isn't now, try and get it changed. EAT. Bread, crackers, etc. And worst comes to worst- take the kid off the nipple and get yourself some decent medication. Your child will not be happy with a violently ill mother- not nursing will be better than that. good luck.

By the way- were you trying the meds and ginger for motion sickness or morning sickness? They aren't really the same thing, despite the similar symptoms, so what didn't work with morning sickness may well work with motion sickness. Just be sure to start everything before you start feeling queasy- the day before at least. I've heard some people start several days early.

I'm curious where you are finding this info about the drugs. Dr Hale's book is basically the bible of medicine and breastfeeding. Bonine is a L3, which is considered moderately safe.

L3 - MODERATELY SAFE

There are no controlled studies in breastfeeding women, however, the risk of untoward effects to a breastfed infant is possible; or, controlled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant. (New medications that have absolutely no published data are automatically categorized in this category, regardless of how safe they may be.)

I agree about Dr Hale's book as the ideal reference on the subject. Pharmaceutical companies are not breastfeeding experts. For obvious reasons, they do not perform tests with breastfeeding mothers and babies. So, to cover their tushies, they just tell breastfeeding mothers not to use the medication.

Most pediatricians, honestly, aren't well versed in medications and breastfeeding. Turn to an IBCLC, LLL Leader or Dr Hale.

His site is:

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/

http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

Your best bet would be Relief Band which sends an electrical impulse to a pressure point that completely blocks nausea, it is used by cancer patients, and pregnant women as well as for motion sickness, It is expensive but worth every penny. You do have to get used to the electrical sensation but once you do it is not bad at all. and it has no side effects. Google Relief band, I suggest the type with the replaceable battery. I have had mine for several years and several cruises.

Here's some hints for calming seasickness. First, never have an empty stomach. I know that people say they can't eat when seasick, but an empty stomach makes it worse. Second, if the seas are a little rough, do not lay down. Sit up and look at the horizon and keep your eyes on one spot. Make sure your cabin is on a lower deck, as near to the middle of the ship as possible. The higher up you go and if your cabin is far up front or far back, you'll have the most motion. Drink flat ginger ale. That settles tummies. Also, make sure the ginger ale is not chilled but a little more towards room temperature

I just wanted to say that hopefully you won't get as sick as you imagine. I get really motion sick on car rides, small boats, and the like, but I have only gotten sick on a large ship one time and that was because we were near a storm and the waves were massive. That time I just went up on deck for some fresh air and was fine.

To help combat motion sickness on small boats, I take ginger pills, wear the sea bands, make sure I have a full stomach (but not uncomfortable full--just not empty), and sip on some Coke. Yes, I do that all at the same time, and it really seems to help. I usually take Dramamine with it, too, though, which I understand you won't be able to do, but those things still should help. None of those things helped with my morning sickness, but they do help with the motion sickness.

Have a great cruise!

I just wanted to say that hopefully you won't get as sick as you imagine. I get really motion sick on car rides, small boats, and the like, but I have only gotten sick on a large ship one time and that was because we were near a storm and the waves were massive. That time I just went up on deck for some fresh air and was fine.

Yep, I have to agree. Everybody has some great tips but you may be lucky and not feel as sick as you imagine.

I am literally the world's worst traveller in a car or bus and had horrific morning sickness for over 5 months with DD BUT only one day of feeling sick on board a cruise and that was on a really rough day. The rest of the time, I was fine.

I always take some Traveleeze with me (I think they're similar to Bonine in the US) which even help with my car sickness (and they're the only thing that does).

I'd suggest:

A safe travel sickness med if you can find one

Crystallised pieces of ginger to suck (I find these better than ginger pills)

Fizzy drink - ginger ale or even sour lemonade; anything you feel like sipping

Fresh air - even if you wrap baby up and feed on deck on a lounge chair!

As others have suggested, drink *plenty of fluid* and make sure you always have something in your stomach; crackers or whatever, as this will help both with the nausea AND keeping your milk supply going.

Hopefully your cabin is midships as this also makes a huge difference. Cruise ships are large and usually very well stabilised so hopefully you won't feel as bad as you fear.

Also don't forget that as a 10 month old any meds you take won't have such an effect on your baby as if you were feeding a newborn. I think you'll be fine.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! x

Archived