Getting to Port Canaveral with stops.. best method?

TOgirl47

Hi everyone,

I've searched around a bit and haven't found a direct answer to my scenario so I'm going to start a new thread!

I will be flying down to Orlando the day of my cruise on May 9th with four friends. We land at approx. 12pm and need to be at the cruise by 3:30 I think.

We're just trying to decide how best to get to the Port in Canaveral, whether to go with a shuttle or to rent a car. We would like to make a stop at a liquor store en route, which will involve a bit of time as we need to transfer booze into our Rum Runners :) And I'm not sure if there are any shuttles that would be goof for that. On the same note, getting our bags, getting to the rental car facility, getting to the port and returning the car in MAX 3.5 hours (if we're super lucky) seems tight. I'm banking on really only having Max 2 hours.

Has anyone done this before that would have suggestions??

THANKS!!

Hi everyone,

I've searched around a bit and haven't found a direct answer to my scenario so I'm going to start a new thread!

I will be flying down to Orlando the day of my cruise on May 9th with four friends. We land at approx. 12pm and need to be at the cruise by 3:30 I think.

We're just trying to decide how best to get to the Port in Canaveral, whether to go with a shuttle or to rent a car. We would like to make a stop at a liquor store en route, which will involve a bit of time as we need to transfer booze into our Rum Runners :) And I'm not sure if there are any shuttles that would be goof for that. On the same note, getting our bags, getting to the rental car facility, getting to the port and returning the car in MAX 3.5 hours (if we're super lucky) seems tight. I'm banking on really only having Max 2 hours.

THANKS!!

Just a quick heads up. Since your ship leaves at 4pm you need to be onboard by 3pm if you all have your fun passes filled out. If you don't you need to be there by 2:30pm.

Get there by 3:30pm and there is a very good chance you won't be boarding.

I'd rent a car. The rental car agencies are right there. Try Avis or Budget as they'll shuttle you to the pier after dropping off the car.

Have someone pick up the rental while the rest of the group waits for the luggage.

Make sure you get a big enough vehicle to hold all the luggage.

Bill

It's about 45 minutes to an hour to get to the port, straight shot from the airport.

my wife and 3 of her girlfriends rented a limo in Feb. from Orlando to the Port and the driver stoped at the liquer store for them. He was waiting at the baggage claim for them so I would say this would be your quickest way. I think it was aroung 150 each way. That is not to bad when dividing by 4.

I would be worried about having enough time to drop off the car at the port, rental place, and getting a shuttle from the rental company to the pier in time! I think I would seriously think of having a shuttle company waiting at the airport - grab the luggage, get on the road, and they can always make a stop at a liquor store if time allows. Any flight delays, traffic, or delays at the car rental desk can really put a damper on making the ship. The shuttle may be a bit more expensive, but may save time in the long run. And if you have to fit 5 in a car, you will need an SUv or minivan, so the price differential in getting a shuttle may be a wash. You can always rent a car for the trip back to the airport.

Now I'm all panicky!! At least we won't have winter to contend with ... but we definitely have connecting flights :( So many possibilities for something to go horribly wrong!!

Connecting flights and originating in Canada. YIKES! I hope the Gods are smiling on you come travel day. Good Luck:)

The Limo waiting for you sounds like a better plan than the one I mentioned. You may have to pass on the booze run if there is any delay getting into MCO.

Bill

have you made flights? i would take the chance of changing them. I live in GA and we are the capital (the south) of thunderstorms and flight cancellations. and to book a connector? i would try to change it. I always tell my group, book the day before. never the day of. the ship is a moving resort. it doesn't wait for you. :eek: When is your cruise?

we used a car service and had a towncar from our hotel to the port and from the port to the airport. I would do a car service so you don't have to waste time renting a car and bringing it back. it may be too late to get your friend to book earlier flight or a flight the day before. your really at the cutting off point because if your flights delayed you will miss the ship. its about a hour to the port from the airport not including tolls and traffic

have you made flights? i would take the chance of changing them. I live in GA and we are the capital (the south) of thunderstorms and flight cancellations. and to book a connector? i would try to change it. I always tell my group, book the day before. never the day of. the ship is a moving resort. it doesn't wait for you. :eek: When is your cruise?

from reading the original post they are cruising May 9th on the Glory and have already booked flights.:)

Bill

yes, i see that, but her flight comes in at 1230 then luggage (1PM, praying) then off to the port (one hour away) they pushing it, gotta be on by 230. I would change my flight, spend the extra change fee to be sure i make the ship. Thats what I am saying. She is only playing with about an hour the most? And that includes a connecting flight? :(

Personally I wouldn't do the rental, we went out of PC in Oct and the rental car lines were crazy we waited for a while. If you were coming in the day ahead I would go with the rental for sure.

If I were on your schedule I would do a shuttle, best of luck to you :)

Personally I wouldn't do the rental, we went out of PC in Oct and the rental car lines were crazy we waited for a while. If you were coming in the day ahead I would go with the rental for sure.

If I were on your schedule I would do a shuttle, best of luck to you :)

That's why I joined Avis Preferred. Didn't cost anything and everything is in the system when you get there. You go outside , cross the street and up 1 level and your car is waiting. Just show your reservation and you're off.

But do the limo this time.;)

Bill

yes, i see that, but her flight comes in at 1230 then luggage (1PM, praying) then off to the port (one hour away) they pushing it, gotta be on by 230. I would change my flight, spend the extra change fee to be sure i make the ship. Thats what I am saying. She is only playing with about an hour the most? And that includes a connecting flight? :(

Oh sorry I must have misunderstood your post. I thought you asked if they made flights yet. I mistook that to mean did you book flights yet.

My apologies.:o

Bill

Skipping booze run is totally plan b.

I like the limo option too.. found some good rates with Bellagio Limo and Elegance Limo :)

Fingers Crossed!!

If you can't change your flight to an earlier time or (preferably) come down the day before, I'd certainly go the limo route. Too many variables if you decide to rent a car, too many chances for something to go wrong. It's not a difficult drive from the airport to Port Canaveral, but if you're in a hurry, you certainly don't want to meet up with the local law enforcement - - they love speeding tourists, especially the out of state kind! Don't worry, the limo driver will know where to stop for booze; you'll certainly not be the first passenger to make that request! Best of luck and hope you enjoy your brief visit to Florida!

Hi everyone,

THANKS!!

We are taking our first cruise in August so can't contribute as far as having been there and done that but I must say that I am nervous for you. We are flying out of Buffalo (much easier that TO) and have a direct flight on Air Tran. Not sure what airline you are with but many offer direct flights and as somebody else mentioned, you should try to get an earlier flight or even a direct one. Our circumstance is different also since we will spend 4 days at Disney before the cruise so the drive over to the port will be leisurely. The rental idea sounds too complicated - drop the car off here, shuttle there, especially when you could already be running behind - and you would also have a parking fee to pay if you decide to keep the car and leave it at the port. I'd book a shuttle and not worry about the liquor run unless time allows. Have a great time!

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Our flights are crap and already booked - Connecting through Chicago on the way down with United.

I've read a pile of things all afternoon and I think I've decided to go with Coca Beach Shuttle - they responded to my email request within minutes and then were very friendly when I called.

Our Flight is supposed to land at 12:06, and between the five of us, I'm expecting we'll have about 4 checked bags (my roomie and I will split one). So its pretty much get to the airport in TO that morning at 5am, shove some horseshoes up my butt and cross my fingers!!!

Wish us luck :)

I would still check with your airlines to see if there is a way you can get on an earlier flight, flying standby. Airtan/Delta does it all the time. the first flight out and on to the first connector. its worth a try and it is free to do! I wish you much success. I will be getting off the Glory the day you get there, If I can stall them for you I will! :D

Archived