Need Help With Haines Excursions

lovebug33

Okay, we want to see wildlife and there are two choices that I thought would be affordable for us. First, there is the Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure. The other is called Alaskan Wildlife Experience. We are going to be on the Veendam if that is any help. If you can give me any help about which would be better, I'd appreciate it! TIA!

• Administrators
Okay, we want to see wildlife and there are two choices that I thought would be affordable for us. First, there is the Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure. The other is called Alaskan Wildlife Experience. We are going to be on the Veendam if that is any help. If you can give me any help about which would be better, I'd appreciate it! TIA!

Contact Steve Kroschel and see if he will book you independent of the cruiseline, but realize you'd have the expense of renting a car in Haines if he will (and that's not cheap). If due to his contract with the cruiseline he can't book you independently (and man if I'm saying this it must be true) I think even at the cruiseline's price this is an unforgettable excursion. Check my photos in the link below for our Alaska photos -- under Haines. Petting a porcupine, and a mink, and a lemming, and feeding a caribou, and feeding a moose, and looking at a lynx, wolf, snowy owl, wolverine, etc from 2 feet away -- for an animal lover it was absolutely unforgettable.

Contact Steve Kroschel and see if he will book you independent of the cruiseline, but realize you'd have the expense of renting a car in Haines if he will (and that's not cheap).

I did email him a while ago and he will not lower the price while the cruise ships are in port. He was very polite in his response in explaining why to me.:)

I think even at the cruiseline's price this is an unforgettable excursion. Check my photos in the link below for our Alaska photos -- under Haines. Petting a porcupine, and a mink, and a lemming, and feeding a caribou, and feeding a moose, and looking at a lynx, wolf, snowy owl, wolverine, etc from 2 feet away -- for an animal lover it was absolutely unforgettable.

Your animal pictures at the zoo are beautiful! But I'm curious about the other pictures of your tour in Haines, it looks to be "stuffed" animals or cutouts...: :eek: confused: is that correct?

• Administrators
Your animal pictures at the zoo are beautiful! But I'm curious about the other pictures of your tour in Haines, it looks to be "stuffed" animals or cutouts...: :eek: confused: is that correct?

The Bald Eagle Foundation has a section with "stuffed" animals (from taxidermists, not a toy store) :)

Thanks, everybody. I think we are not going to do either of these tours. I am holding out for Deluxe Haines Highlights, but DH wants to do some hike in the forest. Since he won't split up, I guess we will have to rock paper scissors it.

A few years back we took a kayak trip on Chilkoot (?) lake. Bus picked us up and after a short drive we were at the lake. The river that flows from it was full of salmon and the guide said we may see bears. We didn't, which was probably a good thing. Saw lots of eagles and other wild life, had a great picnic lunch. It was one of our best days. I will try to find the website for the company we used and post it here later. They kayaking was easy..my 9 year old handled it well. Most of the kayaks were 2 and 3 man.

Archived