year in planning.....how does it sound?

#1survivorfan

I am in the process of finalizing the last reservations for our “grand Alaska adventure” this summer. I am planning the trip for 2 active adult couples. We love to participate in outdoor adventure activities and don’t want to spend much time on tour buses or shopping in town. We went to Alaska in 2006 and had a blast!! We’re trying to not repeat previous activities and are changing things up a bit. Comments would be appreciated.

7/24: fly from San Jose to Anchorage, pick up rental car and drive to Girdwood, stay at Snow Raven Condo’s

7/25: Portage Glacier cruise (a.m.) and Glacier Jet Boat (p.m.)

Snow Raven Condo

7/26: drive to Homer and sightsee along the way

stay at Alaska Adventure Cabin (Double Eagle)

7/27: Bear excursion with Bald Mountain Air,

Alaska Adventure Cabin

7/28: ATVentures (2 rangers rented for day in Seldovia and Kachemak National Park)

Alaska Adventure Cabin

7/29: drive to Seward, Hike to Harding Ice field with Exit Glacier Guides

Stay at Angels Rest Cabin

7/30: Northwestern Kenai Fjords Cruise (9hr.)

Angels Rest Cabin

7/31: Aialak Bay Kayak with Kayak Adventures Worldwide

Angels Rest Cabin

8/1: Drive to Whittier; make the 9:30 tunnel, drop off car, PWS tour with PWS glacier cruises, and embark on Princess Sapphire.

8/4: Skagway; car rented through Avis, drive to Emerald Lake, Horseback riding with Yukon Horseback Adventures

8/5: Juneau: plans not finalized yet

8/6: Ketchikan: Ziplines reserved through ship

8/8: Disembark, pick up rental car, take ferry to Vancouver Island, check in to hotel, not finalized yet

8/9: Butchart Gardens and another activity

8/10: ferry to Vancouver Airport, drop of rental car, flight home

If you rent a car from ANC you will come within an hour drive time from ANC beween Homer and Seward, and again between Seward and Whittier. Since it's a one-way rental you will pay the drop charge every day. Avis is the only rental company in Whittier so you will have to rent from them.

You may save many $$ by backtracking to ANC after Seward, turning in the car, then doing a separate OW rental to Whittier. It may even be exactly the same car...but the drop charges won't apply except the Whittier segment, and you can rent from anyone for the first portion.

[

]8/8: Disembark, pick up rental car, take ferry to Vancouver Island, check in to hotel, not finalized yet[/size][/font]

8/9: Butchart Gardens and another activity

8/10: ferry to Vancouver Airport, drop of rental car, flight home

You might want to consider, going to Butchart Gardens, direct, if nice weather- you will go right by the turn off, if heading to Victoria. I also definately advise you to purchase reservations for the ferry, I assume you are going out of Tsawwassen?? In season, just about always full. I have made the 10 am ferry, but I also have driven the areas many times. If you want the day on Vancouver Island, you could make the 11am ferry.

If you rent a car from ANC you will come within an hour drive time from ANC beween Homer and Seward, and again between Seward and Whittier. Since it's a one-way rental you will pay the drop charge every day. Avis is the only rental company in Whittier so you will have to rent from them.

You may save many $$ by backtracking to ANC after Seward, turning in the car, then doing a separate OW rental to Whittier. It may even be exactly the same car...but the drop charges won't apply except the Whittier segment, and you can rent from anyone for the first portion.

This isn't going to work for them with their 9:30am Whittier tunnel plan and coming from Seward.

Archived